Forum Regular

RC-5 in /out, and a ? about dts dpl2

I have RC-5 in/out on the back of my marantz sr 5400. What is it for? I googled it and only came up with one relevant thing, it seems to be for remote controls.

2. As of right now my dvd player is my xbox. There is no optical digital audio connection for it. My receiver has digital optical and digital coax inputs. Is using these inputs the only way to get true surround sound from my system. I think i read somewhere that you have to have the digital inputs for dts. I plan on getting a dvd player very soon, like after my tax return. And what about the 6.1 input on the back of my receiver. Isnt this the 'same' as using the dig opt/coax as far as the signal transmitted.

Thanks.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    I have RC-5 in/out on the back of my marantz sr 5400. What is it for? I googled it and only came up with one relevant thing, it seems to be for remote controls.

2. As of right now my dvd player is my xbox. There is no optical digital audio connection for it. My receiver has digital optical and digital coax inputs. Is using these inputs the only way to get true surround sound from my system. I think i read somewhere that you have to have the digital inputs for dts. I plan on getting a dvd player very soon, like after my tax return. And what about the 6.1 input on the back of my receiver. Isnt this the 'same' as using the dig opt/coax as far as the signal transmitted.

Thanks.
    The 6.1 analog input on the back of your receiver is there to accept already decoded Dolby Digital and/or DTS signals from a DVD player, or also for SACD/DVD-A playback. In each case, the processing/decoding has already taken place at the player. The digital inputs (optical and coax) on your receiver accept undecoded digital information and the processing/decoding takes place in the receiver instead. If your xbox has no digital outputs, then you will have to connect it to the receiver via analog connections, BUT... unless the analog output is a 5.1/6.1 discrete output you should connect it to the receiver the same as you would for any other stereo device. Just pick an open analog input such as CD, Video, Tape, Tuner, etc... and connect it with standard RCA interconnect cables. The only input you wouldn't want to use would be a phone input, otherwise, it doesn't really matter. This type of connection won't give you the discrete surround formats of Dolby Digital or DTS, but it will give you some surround processing such as DPL or DPL II. I don't own an xbox or have much familiarity with it, but the connections I described pretty much cover the gamut of how you can connect any audio device to a receiver.

I'm guessing, but the RC-5 remote connection is probably for linking other marantz products, such as their CD players, DVD players, Tape players, etc... to the receiver making them all operable from the receiver's remote or even for synchronized operation of these various devices. Maybe someone who owns an SR-5400, or has some first hand experience with it can clear this up for you. Hope this helps.

Q

Thread Information