Forum Regular

Are subs generally video shielded as well....?

Just curious if subs (Infinity, Polk, SVS, HSU) are video shielded as in most fronts and center speakers? Anyone have their sub up front and center? Like under the TV stand?
    Also, is there a pref. to front or down firing - we have hardwood floors. The room is appr. 19' x 19' with 11' ceilings. Very open floor plan with the foyer, kitchen and nook area all blending together.

Dunno about all but my Velodyne isn't.

nothing more to say...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hi Jamison...

It depends on the model really. I don't think many manufacturers report the shielding status for subwoofers, most likely because they're usually placed far enough away from the tv.
    A good trick is to move the sub or speaker gradually closer to your screen until you notice any discoloration or anything, then stop and slide it away a bit. You can usually get by without a shielded woofer.
    I don't know about placing it right in front or underneat the TV set though.
    How much separation are we talking about?

I don't think there's necessarily a rule of thumb for down firing or front firing subs sounding better, but I've heard that front firing subs have less corrective measures incorporated into their designs. If you hear a downward firing sub that sounds better, go with it I'd say.

most subs will not have video shielding, their magnets are huge compared to your regular speakers, therefore harder/more expensive to shield. Downfiring, front firing it doesnt matter, whatever sounds better. My sub has a 50 ounce magent on it, i can get it to sit inches from the tv and it doesnt affect it, however my old computer monitor (crt) was extremly sensitive to the magnetic field. So i guess the newer tvs (crt) are more tolerant.

Forum Regular
    Makes you wonder why they don't just shield the TV's instead of having to shield every friggin speaker in the house...

Forum Regular

Lcd

Is video shielding even a problem for LCD Rear Projection?

nope.

Economics. Audio nutsies are a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by elbarono
    Makes you wonder why they don't just shield the TV's instead of having to shield every friggin speaker in the house...
    Must people who but TV's don't give a hoot about big speakers next to them. In spite of you believe from hanging at this site, not everybody is into HT and a goodly portion of 'em are more than happy with a basic HTiB the get from Bg Box City for $400.

Thread Information