XTC Skylarking ("bush" version)

Have you Skylarking fans heard the recent Apehouse vinyl release? As you may have seen, Apehouse is their record release company and they have released a high quality vinyl edition saying that the absolute phase was incorrect on the original, which could be, but if that was the case one could just reverse the + and - on their speaker cables. In any case, that's just a silly aside. This new one sounds great and has the original (never released) "bush" cover. I've been revisiting this quite a bit recently, and I'm pretty impressed. I didn't fork out the bucks for my own copy ......yet, but I just may. This sucker sounds amazing.

You can find it at avaxhome or Dr. Robert's own hi-res site (which he doesn't want posted). In addition, another poster has his own version ripped with a different front-end, that you can grab from the demonoid torrent, if you want go the torrent route. But if you are a fan, and you still play vinyl, this is one you will probably wanna track down. Expensive, to be sure. Moderators, feel free to delete the links below, no problem.

http://avaxhome.ws/hraphile/xtc_skylarking_hqvinyl.html
    http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2477738/8998064/

Sounds better than the MoFi version? That would be cool. Dear God is a perpetual fave song but XTC just isn't a band that I really spend too much time with so I'll probably sit tight with the MoFi until the Nigerian prince comes through with the 7.8 mil I was promised.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Sounds better than the MoFi version?
    I don't think MFSL ever did a vinyl release of Skylarking, just the CD. If you want a sample, I just uploaded Dear God in 24/96 flac to my song of the day signature box. Or I should say, it is in progress ...

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    I don't think MFSL ever did a vinyl release of Skylarking, just the CD. If you want a sample, I just uploaded Dear God in 24/96 flac to my song of the day signature box. Or I should say, it is in progress ...
    Thanks Davey but I guess it's not gonna create a hardship to just grab the whole thing. I haven't done any of the 24/96, I'm assuming just burn it to DVD?

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Excellent!

My favorite XTC record that will sound even better. Kudos to dbi!
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Thanks Davey but I guess it's not gonna create a hardship to just grab the whole thing. I haven't done any of the 24/96, I'm assuming just burn it to DVD?

jc
    You could burn it to DVD video as 24-96 PCM. Might have to go to wav first, depends on your software. I haven't done that since I go from my PC to DAC via USB. You can also just convert to 16-44 and burn to CD, or download the 16-44 version, but you'd lose some of the sparkle, and shimmer, and shine. Depends on what you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    You could burn it to DVD video as 24-96 PCM. Might have to go to wav first, depends on your software. I haven't done that since I go from my PC to DAC via USB. You can also just convert to 16-44 and burn to CD, or download the 16-44 version, but you'd lose some of the sparkle, and shimmer, and shine. Depends on what you're after.
    On those with the 16/44 option, I've always just gone that route knowing that I'm losing something. Not knowing exactly what is a blissful state of ignorance that I haven't minded staying in. However, maybe it's time to do a little experimenting. Thanks,
    jc

Hey, Dave, it was great to see this post now, because I didn't know about that inverted phase problem on the original vinyl pressing of "Skylarking" and I was just planing to buy this album next month.

It seems like I should look for the new reissue, right?

By the way, any news about a vinyl reissue of "Nonsuch"? This is a hard-to-find item nowadays and a very expensive item when you find one at eBay...

Regards,
    Demetrio.

Thread Information