Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

Young Frankenstein on Broadway - My 1st comical trip to NYC

We bought tickets to see Young Frankenstein at the Hilton Theater a few months back for this past week while we vacationed with friends at Spring Lake NJ. (Between Point Pleasant and Asbury Park) My wife and I had planned all along to take the train which is blocks from their house into Penn Station and walk from there. They kicked and screamed (whined mildly) that they wanted to take the ferry into NYC from across the river. It is such a great view and time...bla bla bla. They thought they knew where we were going and mapped it out on mapquest.

So, we get in their Audi A6 and get 4 blocks away when the tire pressure light goes on. We stop and our friend gets out of the car to look and finds a ridiculously large gash in the sidewall of a 3 week old tire. His wife pipes up to say while backing out of their rental property the night before, she cut the wheel too soon and clipped the little garden wall. Wisely not trusting the tire, we went back to the house where I now got suckered into driving to Hoboken. (turns out there was a nail in another tire that was tripping the alarm)

They told us it was a half hour to the ferry. After driving for an hour and a half, we pull into south Hoboken and find the ferry station. We proceed to find a parking lot close by. As we pull in, they hand the guy a $50, which they now have to get someone to open the safe for change. While we wait, I ask if I have to give them my keys to find out yes. Sorry, I do not EVER hand my keys to a stranger for a day. Besides, earlier we had placed my wife's pocketbook and about $3k of jewelry in the back of our car because they never lock their house and we did not expect to drive. After 2 other lots, we found a place several blocks further where I did not have to leave my keys.

We made our way to the ferry terminal and as we attempt to buy tickets, we find out we should be at Hoboken North in order to use the shuttle buses from the pier. Now we have to take a cab from south Hoboken to north to the other ferry station. So we get our $7.50 tickets for a nice ferry ride and get on. Three minutes later we arrive at the pier that is our destination. Whoo Hoo what a frickin good time! As we walk out of the terminal and step onto the street, our bus pulls away leaving us to wait another 20 minutes for the next one.

So we get to Rockefeller Plaza and get off. After discussion about where we were going to have lunch, we kicked and screamed for the Original Soupman, that's where we headed. Our friend didn't like hers cause she ordered cold squash soup. My wife and I were dying to try the Lobster Bisque after hearing people rave. The guy rings two soups up at $28! Welcome to New York!

We make our way to the theater for the show which was absolutely fabulous. I picked a good one for my first show and thoroughly enjoyed it. The music and dancing was very good along with the added adult humor (childish is more like it). 2.5 hours just flew by and I wished it never ended.

Next up we head to a place to eat called Dervish, a Turkish restaurant. We specifically told the waitress we did not want the Pre-Theater menu which adds for coffee and desert but somehow the bimbo did it anyway. I didn't catch it before my friend paid the bill and I was settling up with cash. The food was ok but nothing all that special.

We walked a few blocks to catch the bus back to the ferry. All our return connections were seamless so we made it back to Spring Lake NJ without delays.

I did not have anything to drink all day since I was driving but had been waiting patiently to get home to nail a few ice cold Long Trails that I had bought a case of. As we pull into the driveway, we see 20 some kids scrambling to get away from the house via windows, doors and over fences. It turned out that our friend's 16 year old boy had yet another uncontrollable party while we were away. He had done the same thing a month earlier and we all thought he learned his lesson....wrong!

We walked into the house, which by the way is on the market for $2.5 million and being shown daily, and found the whole downstairs trashed. Beer and god knows what else spilled everywhere and marker writing on the tables, food in the dishwasher.... As our friends reprimanded the idiot, we decided to escape to our room only to find that some fool had puked all over our bathroom. Walls, floor, doors and furniture. I spent 2 hours cleaning it all up. They also had poured beer in decorative vases, left chewed gum on the furniture and floor.

The fridge in the garage where between us had at least 2 cases of beer was empty. I was pissed. I had saved a half case in a spare bedroom that was unused so I went to get a few to chill only to find an empty box. Somehow 20 16 y/o kids drank over 5 cases of beer in about 3 hours. The only thing left was some crappy light beer found in a girls pocketbook left behind. No thanks.

What a day! I was pretty unamused with NYC and do not care if I ever return. I hate cities and people crawling over each other like bacteria. I did see the Naked Cowboy and off to the side, an 80 y/o ugly woman in a teddy as the Naked Cowgirl. That's enough to make one sick by itself.

Oh my focking god. What a nightmare!

Thanks for telling us about it- just be thankful you don't live there.

Hey, New York!

fp

Wow. Great friends.

That kid would be in the hospital if I was his dad.

Forum Regular
    Sounds all your troubles were actually in Jersey, not NYC.
    I didn't change my mind. It changed all by itself.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Wow. Great friends.

That kid would be in the hospital if I was his dad.
    I almost did it myself. The guy is a Psychologist and the kid has barely heard the word "No" or ever been smacked. Discipline may stifle him.

I did make him replace my beer with his first paycheck.

Overall, they are good friends. Their kid is just an ******* and their parenting skills are not in existence. Most of their other friends that do have kids stopped hanging out with them because their own kids do have manners.

Poot zee candle bach!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I almost did it myself. The guy is a Psychologist and the kid has barely heard the word "No" or ever been smacked. Discipline may stifle him.

I did make him replace my beer with his first paycheck.

Overall, they are good friends. Their kid is just an ******* and their parenting skills are not in existence. Most of their other friends that do have kids stopped hanging out with them because their own kids do have manners.
    That's still among my favorite comedies of all time, but your story was nearly as good. Funny you mention the guy is a psychologist. There's an uncle on my wife's side who is also one, and what a total effing moron. He vowed to be his only son's 'best friend' and it blew up in his face. Sorry dude, you're his father and he can make his own friends. Talk about dysfunctional. Anyway, don't be so tough on NY. It sounds like you needed a better travel plan (my sister lives in Princeton and can take the train into the city for $20 and park for $3.00 at the station). I love NY but wouldn't want to live there, but what a great place to hang out for a couple nights.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    That's still among my favorite comedies of all time, but your story was nearly as good. Funny you mention the guy is a psychologist. There's an uncle on my wife's side who is also one, and what a total effing moron. He vowed to be his only son's 'best friend' and it blew up in his face. Sorry dude, you're his father and he can make his own friends. Talk about dysfunctional. Anyway, don't be so tough on NY. It sounds like you needed a better travel plan (my sister lives in Princeton and can take the train into the city for $20 and park for $3.00 at the station). I love NY but wouldn't want to live there, but what a great place to hang out for a couple nights.

Swish
    I will go back around xmas time. My wife wants me to see the things she got to see when she went in December. We plan to take the train fro Hamilton Station, one stop before Princeton I think. I still don't care for people walking through me everywhere I turn but I'm sure I can make a good time of it.

Like my story told, we were all set to take the train from 4 blocks from their house but they insisted on the ferry crap.

Your bit about friends between dad and son is spot on. He is 62 and had quad bypass 11 years ago. The kid probably cost them $200k in fertility bills and I am sure the guy did not want to discipline the kid in light of having his kid hate him if he died. I see both sides, somewhat but this kid gets rewarded instead of punished. In two weeks, they are taking him and a friend, he cried he would be bored, to Europe for 2 weeks. I would have canceled the trip. They can't really ground him because he spends every waking moment, sometimes till 3am on his PC playing some war game. They did take the power cable for a few days so he stared at the Military channel on TV the rest of the week. They live 4 houses from the beach and the kid won't even set foot on it let alone go in or learn to surf or something.

I voiced my opinion but parents never want to hear the truth or that they may not be handling their kid. I can't say too much in fear they will get angry at me and mess up my vacation spot...LOL.

I will go back around xmas time. My wife wants me to see the things she got to see when she went in December. We plan to take the train fro Hamilton Station, one stop before Princeton I think. I still don't care for people walking through me everywhere I turn but I'm sure I can make a good time of it.

Like my story told, we were all set to take the train from 4 blocks from their house but they insisted on the ferry crap.

Your bit about friends between dad and son is spot on. He is 62 and had quad bypass 11 years ago. The kid probably cost them $200k in fertility bills and I am sure the guy did not want to discipline the kid in light of having his kid hate him if he died. I see both sides, somewhat but this kid gets rewarded instead of punished. In two weeks, they are taking him and a friend, he cried he would be bored, to Europe for 2 weeks. I would have canceled the trip. They can't really ground him because he spends every waking moment, sometimes till 3am on his PC playing some war game. They did take the power cable for a few days so he stared at the Military channel on TV the rest of the week. They live 4 houses from the beach and the kid won't even set foot on it let alone go in or learn to surf or something.

I voiced my opinion but parents never want to hear the truth or that they may not be handling their kid. I can't say too much in fear they will get angry at me and mess up my vacation spot...LOL.
    Lol- oh, man- this place needs more threads like this.

elf pee

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Lol- oh, man- this place needs more threads like this.

elf pee
    Has been kind of dead lately, hasn't it?

Now will you tell me what software you use for your thin jewel cases?

Teenaged sons are supposed to hate their fathers. It isn't until your 20s, or even your 30s, that you understand why he disciplined you and reconcile with him.

If he's such a badass military genius, put the punk in military school. Stick him in the Marines if he';s old enough. That'll change his attitude. (Probably push him off the deep end in the opposite direction.)

Yeah, funny story, we need more weird OT crap like that around here.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Teenaged sons are supposed to hate their fathers. It isn't until your 20s, or even your 30s, that you understand why he disciplined you and reconcile with him.

If he's such a badass military genius, put the punk in military school. Stick him in the Marines if he';s old enough. That'll change his attitude. (Probably push him off the deep end in the opposite direction.)

Yeah, funny story, we need more weird OT crap like that around here.
    I almost forgot, the kid has been whining for a yellow lab puppy to replace a dog that recently died. As soon as they get back from Europe, they are going to get him one!

I'm sure he will take care of it just like he told them he would. That's not the sad part, the fact that they buy into it every time is.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Great,great thread. Every psych major that I've ever dated has been screwed up, presumably leading to life of hypocritical pontificating whilst making some other sap's home life miserable. Grass is always greener I guess, but you would think that a psych major would know better than to go into a relationship looking to reform or change someone.

My first trip to NYC was with 28,000 Ballpark hotdogs in a borrowed '88 Delta...y'know I don't think I'm gonna talk too much about except to say it was as weird and stupid as it sounds.NYC is, however, a great place to go. Full of life and open twenty-four-seven, like Vegas, and that can be pretty useful.

Here's a third for the continuance of the off-kilter. There hasn't been too many good releases these last few months so aside from the bizarre and offtopic there ain't that much to go around. Frankly, I've put more hours this week into Troy's goofy MP3 disc than any of the recent releases...except Shearwater.

Reminds me of the story of the psych intern who was shown around the hospital by the chief, when they come to a patient's room. They open the door and find the poor schmo sitting in the middle of the room with a peanut perched on his one-and-only. The chief wants to see how qualified the intern is and asks him for a diagnosis.

The intern stammers and stumbles.

The chief, exasperated, hisses: "He's fudging nuts, you idiot!"

Yeah, we psychs is sick....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Maybe, but I would imagine it would be hard not to be given the surroundings...which would make it that much more important to correctly classify the nature of relationships outside the office.

Methinks a good rule of thumb would be that if you have to change your prospective mate you need to reconsider the mate and if your not trying to mold your children you need to reconsider yourself.

Lotta truth in what Troy said. I hated my stepdad for years and what a hard pill to swallow was the realization that he was right. Kids need an occasional good beating, I'm now thankful for the ones I got. I called him a few years ago and thanked him. We talk frequently these days, now that he's gotten sane...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Reminds me of the story of the psych intern who was shown around the hospital by the chief, when they come to a patient's room. They open the door and find the poor schmo sitting in the middle of the room with a peanut perched on his one-and-only. The chief wants to see how qualified the intern is and asks him for a diagnosis.

The intern stammers and stumbles.

The chief, exasperated, hisses: "He's fudging nuts, you idiot!"

Did you hear about the guy who went into the Drs office wrapped only in cellophane?

The Dr looked at him for a few minutes and said "I clearly see your nuts".

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Great,great thread. Every psych major that I've ever dated has been screwed up, presumably leading to life of hypocritical pontificating whilst making some other sap's home life miserable. Grass is always greener I guess, but you would think that a psych major would know better than to go into a relationship looking to reform or change someone.

My first trip to NYC was with 28,000 Ballpark hotdogs in a borrowed '88 Delta...y'know I don't think I'm gonna talk too much about except to say it was as weird and stupid as it sounds.NYC is, however, a great place to go. Full of life and open twenty-four-seven, like Vegas, and that can be pretty useful.

Here's a third for the continuance of the off-kilter. There hasn't been too many good releases these last few months so aside from the bizarre and offtopic there ain't that much to go around. Frankly, I've put more hours this week into Troy's goofy MP3 disc than any of the recent releases...except Shearwater.
    I had an '88 Delta. It was my favorite car of all time!

I have been listening to Squarepusher and Keller Williams which a co-worker turned me onto. Williams plays alot like Hedges. Squarepusher is a bassist who uses a lot of electronica and looping. Good vids of both on Youtube.

Funny story, Hyfi. Some of the best stories are from everyday life. Screenwriters can't think this stuff up. Now, I could see your wealthy psych friend played by Steve Martin and his son played by ?? Jack Osborne or the actor who played the weird rich kid in the Wedding Crashers. Now, as for who would play you, who would you think?? (maybe Vince Vaughn)

The scenario you painted for us has comedic brilliance written all over it. I'd be curious to see who we would cast as the frist parking lot attendants, who would like the key to your car.

Thanks-a-ton for the laughs,

Bill

Although I have never had kids of my own, and probably won't--who knows?--I contend that discipline, fairly and unabusedly dealt, is necessary for the development of any child. I hope this does not spur on a discussion that throws the focus away from the more pertinent forums of this site, but the aura of political correctness and fear of litigation has made cowards of many of us. Certain core values and ways of behaving are being removed from our species' psyche. I have said it before: that we have become far too "human". In turning our backs away from our baser, animal, selves, we forget important wisdoms that we have acquired through the milennia of becoming "human".

Freud wrote of this in Civilization and its Discontents.

And I need to keep watching Animal Planet....

God, I miss my 88. My grandfather had a '71 Delta 88 Royale convertible. Red. Black interior. 8 track. Henry Mancini....

My uncle took it to Charleston SC and the wind and the salt tore it to shreds.

I inherited it about 15 years ago. Couldn't fix it. Dad was tired of it filling the garage and sold it to a local doctor who restored it.

I hate doctors!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    Funny story, Hyfi. Some of the best stories are from everyday life. Screenwriters can't think this stuff up. Now, I could see your wealthy psych friend played by Steve Martin and his son played by ?? Jack Osborne or the actor who played the weird rich kid in the Wedding Crashers. Now, as for who would play you, who would you think?? (maybe Vince Vaughn)

The scenario you painted for us has comedic brilliance written all over it. I'd be curious to see who we would cast as the frist parking lot attendants, who would like the key to your car.

Thanks-a-ton for the laughs,

Bill
    Ha, Lot Attendants would be Iverson and Vick.
    Steve Martin was a good pick for dad.
    Paris Hilton for Mom.
    The Devil himself as the kid.

I like Vince Vaughn for my part.

What's funny is if I post about music, all I get are pitty clicks. Post about life and people join in. I have a new strategy now.

Glad people got a good laugh. I'm laughing now but not too much that day.

What's funny is if I post about music, all I get are pitty clicks. Post about life and people join in. I have a new strategy now.
    It's 'cause you eschew the prevailing winds of jingle-jangley post-hippie, modern hipster country alt pop that is pervasive on this site. Exactly three people own a Carl Filipaik disc...you, me (thanks to you) and Carl himself.

There's only one thread in eight years about trance/industrial, which comprises a sizeable enough portion of my audio diet. There's only three guys on the planet that own the new "Presets" disc...me, some guy in Croatia named Ivor, and the webmaster at Modularpeople.com.

Some times ya just roll with it...but keep the tales of the road coming.

sticks

Sticks: Just finished listenin' to "Hyperborea" (Tangerine Dream). Mebbe not trance/industrial but plenty o' electronic wonderment to behold, bruddah....

Frankly, I've put more hours this week into Troy's goofy MP3 disc than any of the recent releases...except Shearwater.
    That's the spirit.

Rock is dead, long live the weird.

Suspended
    It's 'cause you eschew the prevailing winds of jingle-jangley post-hippie, modern hipster country alt pop that is pervasive on this site. Exactly three people own a Carl Filipaik disc...you, me (thanks to you) and Carl himself.

sticks
    Man, that hurts but pretty accurate.

Carl actually has a pretty big following in the Jazz/Fusion realm of which I think I am the only one at RR that does not eschew.(I hate when I have to look words up but a good one to learn)

Shouldn't hurt, now you can say that you have elitist, esoteric tastes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information