Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

You Can Call Me Leisure....

Saturday morning, here, in overcast southern Ontario and I'm just in full leisure mode....

Listening to The Beutiful South's "Painting It Red" and thoroughly digging it. I haven't listened to this for at least two years.

Love the quirky lyrics and exellent harmonies.

Two of my favourite lyrics are: "The rein of plastic may replace this rein of gold where the silverware's not expensive .... in the kingdom of the Tupperware Queen."
    and
    "Don't feel ever sorry for the dicks."

The music, sans lyrics, is very elegant and relaxing.......perfect for Saturday mornings (or any morning for that matter).

So........ What are U listening to this weekend??

audiobill

Spinning "It Ended On An Oily Stage" right now which just changed to "Be Gone" from the latest BSP disc Open Season.

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    Saturday morning, here, in overcast southern Ontario
    Wow, it's Saturday morning here too! What are the chances?
    So........ What are U listening to this weekend??
    Me? I'm listening to the best album of 2005, Stephen Malkmus - Face The Truth. Yeah, I know it's only June but I also know there will be no albums released during the remained of this year that'll surpass this one, and there will be some good ones from the likes of The Fruit Bats, Super Furry Animals, and Built To Spill. Actually 2005 has been shaping up quite nicely with new favorites from old favorites like The Decemberists and Andrew Bird. And Gimme Fiction really got under my skin although I suspect A Series Of Sneaks will always be my favorite Spoon (I never heard the debut though).

NP: "Post-Paint Boy" (which sounds like it was lifted from the Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain sessions)
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Davey

Spinning "It Ended On An Oily Stage" right now which just changed to "Be Gone" from the latest BSP disc Open Season.

Looks like "Bunny Power" to me.

Is it as good as their last two discs? Indeed, it was u I credit with introducing me to BSP -- what a creatively engaging bunch of musicians!!

"You look a younger more beutiful version of death
    But I'm scared to hold you close or smell youir breath
    Now your body's facing east and your head is west
    And you can call me leisure and I can call you rest"

The Beautiful South

Cheers,
    audiobill

Looks like "Bunny Power" to me.

Is it as good as their last two discs? Indeed, it was u I credit with introducing me to BSP -- what a creatively engaging bunch of musicians!!
    I only know of their debut and this one, but I guess they do have some EPs? How you would rate it I guess depends heavily on what aspects of their sound you like the most. I was partial to that Pere Ubu meets David Bowie part of the debut and so this new one has taken a long time to really get under my skin because it plays more to their Echo & The Bunnymen side. Reminds me a little of latter day Pere Ubu when they released Worlds In Collision at the beginning of the 90s. Showed a much softer side with more than a little resemblence to some of that epic and atmospheric british sound. Great cover too. Some thought it was a misstep, but I liked it a lot because it still had the quirky lyrics and oddball themes, but in a more melodic package maintaining the pop oriented sound they were then moving into, coupled with the slick production. Kind of brought the two sides of Pere Ubu into one album. Fun and quirky, but accessible to all. And one of the BSP singers sound very much like David Thomas. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. One of my favorites this year for sure. But also one of the growingest (that's music listener lingo, in case you didn't know) albums for me in recent times.

Beautiful South comes up with some oddball themes too, eh?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    So far this morning I've listened to...

Klaatu - Hope
    Finn Brothers - S/T
    Dream Theater - Octavarium (I'm working on my review now, to be posted later)

I have that Beautiful South, courtesy of my kid Unklebob, and don't think I've ever listened to it. Mebbe will remedy that today.

Been spinning a MASSIVE amount of Nina Simone this AM from the 2 cd Anthology- The Coldpix Years. This is just about perfect music for a desert Saturday morning.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by SM Fanboy
    I'm listening to the best album of 2005, Stephen Malkmus - Face The Truth.
    You're beginning to sound like a SM fanboy, Sloshy. I don't trust you...I'm gonna wait until Ex Lion Tamer gives it the thumbs up

Last I heard there is no Built To Spill this year. They say early next year. Seems like kind of a weak year so far to me. Some great albums, but not many. Guess I'm just not as into the new music scene as in some recent times. Not as much time to listen anymore. Been really enjoying the latest Electreane album, but it's definitely not a sound for everyone. Lots of John Cage type experimentation and space that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    You're beginning to sound like a SM fanboy, Sloshy. I don't trust you
    Wrong! It really is that good

'Course I suppose I sounded like a fanboy for Castaways & Cutouts and Inches and The Mysterious Production Of Eggs so what do I know?
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

It's a weak year to me also, but that's in spite of the Beck rec, Ray LaMontagne, Madeleine Peyroux, and a couple of others. I thought the Springsteen rec wasn't bad. But I thought last year was great, so most years I think would seem weak immediately afterward by comparison.

Yesterday I ended up with another huge haul of CDs, a ton of reissues included therein. Lots of jazz titles that I'm hoping will live up to their promise. So I'm struggling to throw on whatever looks good before it gets shipped out. So far today, two Alvin Lee reissues from the mid-70s (not so great, last year's rec was superior), the Melvins demos from 1983, Atomic 7's hyper-speed surf (a keeper), Rosetta West (not a keeper), and next up are the solo rec by Patterson Hood of the Drive-By Truckers and the most recent Ry Cooder rec, a concept album about the neighborhood in Los Angeles that was razed to facilitate the construction of Dodger Stadium some 45 years ago. Then some Roseanne Cash reissues, a Stiv Bators rec, Family Guy Live In Vegas, the String Quartet Tribute to Mars Volta, Sufjan Stevens' Illinois, the Eels, new Mike Doughty, new Knitters rec, new Paul Anka, a 4-CD comp called "Children of Nuggets" with some post-60s retro psychedelia...looks like I've got a full day ahead of me.

I don't like others.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Wow, it's Saturday morning here too! What are the chances?Me? I'm listening to the best album of 2005, Stephen Malkmus - Face The Truth. Yeah, I know it's only June but ).

NP: "Post-Paint Boy" (which sounds like it was lifted from the Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain sessions)
    Well, now my interest is fully piqued!!

Are you familiar with Pavement's Wowee Zowee?? If so, does Stephen's new work have any of that folky fun??

Sounds like a winner, to me.

Cheers,
    audiobill

Red face Man o man....

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    It's a weak year to me also, but that's in spite of the Beck rec, Ray LaMontagne, Madeleine Peyroux, and a couple of others. I thought the Springsteen rec wasn't bad. But I thought last year was great, so most years I think would seem weak immediately afterward by comparison.

Yesterday I ended up with another huge haul of CDs, a ton of reissues included therein. Lots of jazz titles that I'm hoping will live up to their promise. So I'm struggling to throw on whatever looks good before it gets shipped out. So far today, two Alvin Lee reissues from the mid-70s (not so great, last year's rec was superior), the Melvins demos from 1983, Atomic 7's hyper-speed surf (a keeper), Rosetta West (not a keeper), and next up are the solo rec by Patterson Hood of the Drive-By Truckers and the most recent Ry Cooder rec, a concept album about the neighborhood in Los Angeles that was razed to facilitate the construction of Dodger Stadium some 45 years ago. Then some Roseanne Cash reissues, a Stiv Bators rec, Family Guy Live In Vegas, the String Quartet Tribute to Mars Volta, Sufjan Stevens' Illinois, the Eels, new Mike Doughty, new Knitters rec, new Paul Anka, a 4-CD comp called "Children of Nuggets" with some post-60s retro psychedelia...looks like I've got a full day ahead of me.
    You've got some serious listening to do.
    Let us know how that "Children of Nuggets" collection pans out. I have the original "Nuggets" on Lp and it's one of my favourites in my collection.

Now git listening you crazy musci guy you!!
    audiobill

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    I have that Beautiful South, courtesy of my kid Unklebob, and don't think I've ever listened to it. Mebbe will remedy that today.

Been spinning a MASSIVE amount of Nina Simone this AM from the 2 cd Anthology- The Coldpix Years. This is just about perfect music for a desert Saturday morning.

Nina Simone in the desert..........now, that's sweet.

I'm in the process, tentoze, of planning a 10-day escape to Arizona, during March 2006.

Can't wait!! We already booked time in Tuscon and in the southend of the Grand Canyon.

Cheers,
    Bill

Question Live 8

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    So far this morning I've listened to...

Klaatu - Hope
    Finn Brothers - S/T
    Dream Theater - Octavarium (I'm working on my review now, to be posted later)
    Hey, FA.

What dou u think of the backwoods shenanigans re: Live8's venue, here in Ontario. No wonder we have problems!! Ottawa passes up an opportunity to show off our beautiful brownsotne and granite parliament buildings; Toronto is also anal; and Barrie is just frothing to get its PR profile out to the rest of the world.

Last summer, for instance, my family and I had a perfect summer eve's experience in Vienna. We got to see Seji Osawa conduct Beethoven's 5th, on a huge screen, perched infront of their parliament buildings, which were beautifully backlit. Also, they had 56 concession booths serving food from 40 different countries, from around the world (as a wink to the Olympic games taking place). Now, .........why can't our politicians and their PR tourist people get their acts together. What a missed opportunity for us all.

Cheers,
    audiobill

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Hey, FA.

What dou u think of the backwoods shenanigans re: Live8's venue, here in Ontario. No wonder we have problems!! Ottawa passes up an opportunity to show off our beautiful brownsotne and granite parliament buildings; Toronto is also anal; and Barrie is just frothing to get its PR profile out to the rest of the world.

Last summer, for instance, my family and I had a perfect summer eve's experience in Vienna. We got to see Seji Osawa conduct Beethoven's 5th, on a huge screen, perched infront of their parliament buildings, which were beautifully backlit. Also, they had 56 concession booths serving food from 40 different countries, from around the world (as a wink to the Olympic games taking place). Now, .........why can't our politicians and their PR tourist people get their acts together. What a missed opportunity for us all.

Cheers,
    audiobill
    That sounds like a wonderful memory of Vienna.

What do I think about Live-8? I think that the rest of the world is going to say WHERE? And that come July 3, no-one will remember the Barrie show.

If Ottawa or Toronto can't accomodate, they should be looking at Vancouver, Montreal or Quebec City. Can you imagine Live 8 in Stanley Park? With the Pacific Ocean as the backdrop? Now that would be an event.

NP: The Tea Party - Seven Circles

Call me Mr. Rough Day.

9:00 BB practice-by 9:15 I can't even throw. My shoulder is aching from the rotator cuff to my elbow. All my coaches have been on vacation, out of town for work, or schedule conflicts with teams they manage. In the last week I've done three practices on my own and today the reality kicked in. Got home and put on the ice bag after downing a hydrocodon from a stash I had ratholed after a surgery and found I didn't need them then. That was good thinking on my part, for a change.

Was ready to go to the hifi store later in the day and the wife calls and says the lovely Dodge Caravan won't start. She had taken the youngest to football registration and was now stranded in the parking lot. Grabbed my jumper cables and went to the rescue. Jump wouldn't do it-that battery was dead dead. Piled all of us in the Gorgeous Ford Ranger and headed off to the nearest Sams. Enroute, the Ranger's "check engine" light came on. Great. Went ahead and bought two batteries. The guy said it was a 2 hour wait to have them swap batteries. Great. I borrowed the tools and did it myself. Stopped at a nearby Home Depot and bought an adjustable wrench and went to save the Dodge. Got to the parking lot at the football fields and the gates were locked! Well ***** me. Had the wife and kid exit the truck and proceeded down a lengthy embankment. Kinda touchy for a few moments, they really don't want people there but criminy, what was I supposed to do? Finally got the battery changed and prayed that this was really the issue, and it was. Drove around looking for a way to get both vehicles out of the locked lot and found a path that wasn't too bad and managed to do it without rolling either vehicle. Now I'm back here wondering what's next. God I hope we're having something decent for supper.

Oh yeah, and today I played:
    Bloc Party-The Black Sessions- 15 awesomely recorded live tracs!
    Pet Shop Boys-Very. A classic or only a synthpop classic?
    Pink Floyd-The Wall Live-HDCD via newtrix-thanks again man. Hoping that I get The National live today which in the end would make it a very good day after all.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

Weird intermediate period album from Haujobb -- very sparse and minimal, but you know what? It really does grow on me. I'm digging it.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Well, now my interest is fully piqued!!

Are you familiar with Pavement's Wowee Zowee?? If so, does Stephen's new work have any of that folky fun??

Sounds like a winner, to me.
    No purely acoustic songs here but a few slower (but not too slow) tracks. More like Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain in a few places but not like Pavement per se beyond that Malkmus guitar and voice, and that can't be helped

It is a winner and different enough from Pavement to stand apart on its own. I can't tell you how good it is. This is something you just have to hear to understand

Pavement wishes they made a record this good!

Well, not too much bouzouki

Well this new-to-me disc I need to explore. I absolutely love bouzouki music.

As a matter of fact, last weekend we went to "Greek Night" at one of the small towns east of us, Newcastle, and got into some serious Greek dancing, with live bouzouki music and loud plate breaking. A ton of fun.

I take it it's the quirkiness that gives this band its appeal??

Cheers,
    audiobill
    But just enough. I smell a request for an evaluation disc, eh Bill???

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Madeleine Peyroux

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    It's a weak year to me also, but that's in spite of the Beck rec, Ray LaMontagne, Madeleine Peyroux, and a couple of others.
    I listened to Madeleine Peyroux's Careless Love this weekend as well. Perfect album for leisurely listening! I haven't mentioned this beautiful album here before, since I didn't think recc'ing a Billie Holiday knock-off artist would pique much interest, however Ms. Peyroux (pay-roo) pulls it off with class, dignity, and a voice that's eerily simlar to Billie Holiday's. Nice call Jay!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    But just enough. I smell a request for an evaluation disc, eh Bill???

Swish
    Smells like.......bouzouki spirit. If you happen to get a moment....that'd be great.

Cheers, Bill

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk

Weird intermediate period album from Haujobb -- very sparse and minimal, but you know what? It really does grow on me. I'm digging it.
    Peter:

Where have I been for the last 12 years?? According to allmusicguide this group has been around since 1993!! Your mention in this thread is the first I heard of them.
    Allmusic also says: " (their latest disc) serves as a reasonable introduction to the artists as well, a rare accomplishment for a remix release. All this makes Matrix a release that stands equal to its lofty progenitor, rather than beneath it."

Always looking into new music,
    audiobill

Not so much listening this weekend so far, but I did listen to the following:

Githead - Headgit
    Colin Newman's latest band/"project" and on first listen, it didn't do much for me at all. I found it to be pretty boring.

Bearsuit - Cat Spectacular
    This is indie pop generally, but kind of all over the place. Recently released in the US on a local Grand Rapids label, I was really looking forward to this one, but it seems like they are trying too hard, and the songwriting isn't all that strong. It does have the potential to grow on me, though so we shall see after I listen to it a few times.

The Comas - Conductor
    Now this stuff is good. A little more rocking than I expected, and that's a good thing. I'd been looking for this album for a while and finally found it in the used bin yesterday.

NP: Phil Ochs - Greatest Hits
    Any fans out there? Much of this album sounds like John Denver to me (not a good thing), sprinkled with outright classics like "Chords of Fame" and "Gas Station Women."
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information