Lollapalooza Cancelled

Los Angeles, CA - June 22, 2004 -- Even with what has been touted as the best line-up since its inception in 1991, with such eclectic and respected artists as Morrissey, Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey, and The Flaming Lips, among others, and the most competitive ticket prices in the marketplace for a tour this size, it was not enough to counter the weak economic state of this years summer touring season. Therefore, it is with the utmost regret that due to poor ticket sales across the board, the Lollapalooza, 2004 tour has been cancelled. This morning, tour organizers and concert promoters faced with several million dollars of losses, made the very tough decision to pull the tour.

Marc Geiger, co-founder of the tour stated, "I am in utter disbelief that a concert of this stature, with the most exciting line-up I've seen in years did not galvanize ticket sales. I'm surprised that given the great bands and the reduced ticket prices that we didn't have enough sales to sustain the tour. Concert promoters across the country are facing similar problems. Many summer tours are experiencing weak ticket sales."

Alex Hodges, Executive Vice President of HOB Concerts, commented, "In real terms, it's been a tough summer. Ticket sales have been mixed and often inexplicably soft. There are a number of contributing factors, and, as a result, many tours have been cut-back, rerouted or cancelled."

Fans who have supported the tour and who have bought tickets nationwide will be given full refunds.

http://www.lollapalooza.com/

I think by having 2 days they bit off more than they could chew.
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Good...please everyone stop buying overpriced tickets to these silly outdoor mega-concerts. In most cases, you may as well bring a radio to the park as the atmosphere is about the same and with the bands so far away, I doubt you'll notice a difference.

Went with my little bro because he was excited about the Lalapolooza thing in the beginning. 7 bucks for a taco and beer that was absolutely out of my price range to wander around a big grass field and kinda make out a little band down there on the stage and the chance to buy a bunch of garbage from out-of-work dead heads in booths scattered around was never a good idea in the first place.

I've just never understood the idea of these festivals. I guess it gives the attendees bragging rights to say they saw a whole bunch of bands and they get the chance to buy T-shirts. But, as far as the concert experience goes with these things, I simply do not understand...bad sound...too far away...rock concerts in the daytime for God's sake...something had to stop these things.

OK...I'll stop complaining.

I guess I finally have reason to thank the crap economy.

Forum Regular
    Big whoop.

I do want to see Morissey though, maybe he will tour on his own.

Dave

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I actually wanted to attend day two of the festival this year, but the show was on weekdays! I guess they figured that only unemployed people and students want to attend these shows. No wonder they had to cancel.

Thread Information