Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    I picked up The Shins: Wincing the Night Away.
    This one is even better (by a wide margin too).

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Biggest dog of the year for me was the Wheat album
    That is a shame. I was kind of hoping, way in the back of my mind, that on their way out, as their little finale, as a gift to all their fans, they might've rediscovered some of the simple charm that made Hope and Adams one of my favorites of the last decade, and coupled that with some of the fun hooks they brought to Per Second... when they moved to the big label. Maybe they just needed Dave Fridmann to help shape the songs? I know the move to big label stardom (and the subsequent fall) took a big toll after Per Second, so probably not surprising that they didn't put it all back together for this one.

So Jim, is the whole album not good, or just a few songs? Sounded so promising in the initial reports, the talk about being rejuvenated, and free to record whatever they want, no label pressure, etc. Does it sound like they were just screwing around?

Haven't seen it mentioned in any of these year end threads, but Richmond Fontaine put out one of the best records I heard with Thirteen Cities. Maybe it's only for fans of those old sad story songs, I don't know, but they continue to produce some of the most musically rich alternative country music of our times. Very literate, beautifully lyrical. Evocative and palpable imagery. Their best album yet. Willy Vlautin is becoming the John Steinbeck of American country music, the dusty drifter winding his way down through Arizona kind of country music, not the slick plastic auto-tuned Nashville kind. I listen to this all the time, and it is probably my record of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Haven't seen it mentioned in any of these year end threads, but Richmond Fontaine put out one of the best records I heard with Thirteen Cities.
    That's because I haven't posted my list yet! Agreed, very good album. The Swishster digs it too.

NP:
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Thanks for stealing my thunder.

Haven't seen it mentioned in any of these year end threads, but Richmond Fontaine put out one of the best records I heard with Thirteen Cities. Maybe it's only for fans of those old sad story songs, I don't know, but they continue to produce some of the most musically rich alternative country music of our times. Very literate, beautifully lyrical. Evocative and palpable imagery. Their best album yet. Willy Vlautin is becoming the John Steinbeck of American country music, the dusty drifter winding his way down through Arizona kind of country music, not the slick plastic auto-tuned Nashville kind. I listen to this all the time, and it is probably my record of the year.
    That is probably my # 1 for 07, or in my top 3 for sure. I was hoping it wasn't mentioned so that a bunch of you would say 'oh yeah, how did I forget that one', but alas, my ploy is ruined.

Swish - really digs Thirteen Cities
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    There's never been a crowd like this
    Ah, you must've seen my message in that other thread. How much money does it take to master a CD? Seems like he could find some way to get it out to his fans. Hell, I'd buy a CD-R from his site in a heartbeat. Just give us a nice sounding release, not some crappy sounding mp3 download. Do it Richard!

Ah, you must've seen my message in that other thread. How much money does it take to master a CD? Seems like he could find some way to get it out to his fans. Hell, I'd buy a CD-R from his site in a heartbeat. Just give us a nice sounding release, not some crappy sounding mp3 download. Do it Richard!
    Check your PM, and don't call me Richard!

Check your PM, and don't call me Richard!
    Thanks, can I just call you Dick for short? That is a very nice record, but I want the new one!

Quote Originally Posted by Swish Diddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Davey
    Haven't seen it mentioned in any of these year end threads, but Richmond Fontaine put out one of the best records I heard with Thirteen Cities.
    That is probably my # 1 for 07, or in my top 3 for sure. I was hoping it wasn't mentioned so that a bunch of you would say 'oh yeah, how did I forget that one', but alas, my ploy is ruined.
    What a silly ploy maker you are. You know, the year is almost over. Couple more days. Time to make a commitment. Show us what ya got. Help Rae spend some of his Christmas bonus.

np: same as my buddy Slosh, just a download behind

Dick for Short
    My friend has been trying to think of a name for his new (garage) band. Wonder how difficult it will be to sell him on this one?

Dick for Short
    My friend has been trying to think of a name for his new (garage) band. Wonder how difficult it will be to sell him on this one?
    Ya never know, might fit. Is the band already full size or are they still growing? Looking for new members to play with? How often do they get up on stage?

Laura Viers- Carbon Glacier (Nonesuch), The Putamayo catalog (Thanks, Bob), I like Amy Winehouse, I admit it. A Danish jazz singer Josefine Cronhom. Miles in Tokyo (Sony remaster).
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Rae
    Liking Amy Winehouse is no guilty pleasure.

I did have a chance to get... uh... evaluation copies of a lot of these over the holidays (Slosh will know what I'm talking about). Really like the Oxbow record... surprised that no one has mentioned that one here. You know what else sounded really good upon first listen? Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass. That guy quietly & consistently makes some great music. I was not so enamored with the Andrew Bird as you guys seem to be, although maybe that's a headphone record (I played it whilst riding in my friend's car). The new Lupe Fiasco is also super underwhelming, although I'ma try to stick with it. Lessee, what else... Les Savy Fav! Looking for the vinyl of that one for sure; another great & insanely catchy release from those merry pranksters. Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity is also a fine addition to their catalog. And that Josh Ritter is really growing on me. Too bad they didn't press it on vinyl.

So many records!

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    You know what else sounded really good upon first listen? Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass.
    Urrg! My daughter's really been into that lately, along with Tech9, Cage, Immortal Technique, MF Doom, and Defiance, Ohio. I used to get sick of hearing all of that 70s punk blaring from her room but now see how good I had it. Hopefully she'll burn herself out on this stuff before I do something rash like taking the subwoofer out of her room

Rae
    Tech9, Cage, Immortal Technique, MF Doom, and Defiance, Ohio
    One of these things is not like the others...

Say what you will; I'm digging it. Listened to that Okkervil River now too. Very poppy. And Enon - Grass Geysers Carbon Clouds... has there been any talk about that one on here? Those dudes & lady are very consistent.

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    One of these things is not like the others...
    I just looked at her most recently added music in iTunes and wasn't implying that it was all the same genre (it mostly is, however).

New Enon is okay. I keep waiting for a new High Society but that's probably not going to happen. Hell, I'd be happy with a new Believo! at this point.

NP:

Rae
    I always liked Believo! better than High Society. You'll probably take this as blasphemy, but I get really burned out on Toko's songs on High Society, especially "In This City". I like her stuff on Hocus Pocus a lot more.

~Rae

Correction to spelling above: Josefine Cronholm.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information