Yankees take the collar in game one!

Wow. Total domination by the Phillies, and the NY Post had the nerve to put a skirt on Victorino and call them 'The Frillies' or whatever. Looks like the joke is on New York. The first game winner usually wins the series, at least over the last 20 seasons or so.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Wow. Total domination by the Phillies, and the NY Post had the nerve to put a skirt on Victorino and call them 'The Frillies' or whatever. Looks like the joke is on New York. The first game winner usually wins the series, at least over the last 20 seasons or so.
    Local paper headlines-

Philly- UT-LEE

NY- UT-OH!

42 Regular
    The story of that game, in two words: Cliff Lee. He was unstoppable.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    are they still playing baseball or something?
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

I guess they may as well call off the rest of the games and crown the Phillies.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    are they still playing baseball or something?
    Rugby, idden it?

I'm a Red Sox fan, but I'm rooting for the Phillies (naturally). Nice behind-the-back catch by Lee, by the way.
    It's a disease, really.
    -----------------------------------
    Sony
    CDP-X77ES, CDP-X55ES, TA-N90ES, TA-E90ES, 333ESXII
    Denon
    AVP-A1HDCI, POA-A1HDCI, DVD-5910CI, DVD-2500BTCI
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    BP2000TL, C/L/R 3000, BPX, BP1X
    Pioneer
    Pro-151FD

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    As a long suffering Orioles fan I always take great satisfaction when the Yankees fail. While Philly is not exactly scraping nickles together to make payroll I would hate to see the Yankees succeed in getting another "Pocket Book Pennant"
    Last edited by thekid; 10-29-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Yes. It's all over.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I guess they may as well call off the rest of the games and crown the Phillies.

Seriously though, the team that won the first game in the last 6 series ended up winning it, and I think I also heard that 14 of the last 16 did, but I didn't actually research that as I don't have the time. Losing the opener at home hurts big time, and if they lose again tonight, it could be a 4 game sweep because it will suck the life out of them. A-Roid is back to his old post-season self, whiffing 3 times, and C.C. wasn't enough to keep them in it. We shall see.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Lee had his "A++" game with him. I don't think you could have put together a team of ANY major leaguers that could have hit him last night. No shame falling to a performance like that.

Tonight's a new ball game though. Stats like "first game winners always win" are like coin tosses. You can throw heads a thousand times in a row, the next toss will always be 50%/50% it comes up heads.

If anything tonight the Yankees will be lookinf for redemption.....Look out Perdro!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Tonight's a new ball game though. Stats like "first game winners always win" are like coin tosses. You can throw heads a thousand times in a row, the next toss will always be 50%/50% it comes up heads.
    The odds of winning the series after winning the 1st game are nothing like 50/50. The odds have been heavily influenced by the 1-game advantage. Also, the team that has won a game is more likely to be the better team, given the fact that they have won a game. It's no sure thing, but it's not 50/50 by any stretch.

Also...if it was truly a matter of chance and if you were to relate it to coin tosses...Once you have won a coin toss and have a 1-toss advantage, your chances of winning 4 tosses before your opponent are at that point significantly better than 50/50.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    The odds of winning the series after winning the 1st game are nothing like 50/50. The odds have been heavily influenced by the 1-game advantage. Also, the team that has won a game is more likely to be the better team, given the fact that they have won a game. It's no sure thing, but it's not 50/50 by any stretch.

Also...if it was truly a matter of chance and if you were to relate it to coin tosses...Once you have won a coin toss and have a 1-toss advantage, your chances of winning 4 tosses before your opponent are at that point significantly better than 50/50.
    No, you didn't get my meaning. Stats, like coin tosses, have no way of influencing a future event. The series is now tied, so all advantage of being one up is over.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    No, you didn't get my meaning. Stats, like coin tosses, have no way of influencing a future event. The series is now tied, so all advantage of being one up is over.
    Agreed...Stats don't influence future future events. They report on past events. The advantage of simply being one up is of course now over but it certainly existed as an advantage at the time...that is, assuming you consider the World Series merely a game of chance, like a coin toss. Of course, if baseball was a game merely of chance, the Cubs would be approximately tied with the Yankees for total championships.

Also...talking about the World Series in an audio forum is an indicator of one of the weaknesses of this forum, so I'll stop reading this thread.

Seriously though, the team that won the first game in the last 6 series ended up winning it, and I think I also heard that 14 of the last 16 did, but I didn't actually research that as I don't have the time. Losing the opener at home hurts big time, and if they lose again tonight, it could be a 4 game sweep because it will suck the life out of them. A-Roid is back to his old post-season self, whiffing 3 times, and C.C. wasn't enough to keep them in it. We shall see.
    Back in 2004 the Yankees were up 3-0 in the ALCS. At the time, no team had ever come back from 3-0 in the history of the ML playoffs. That didn't stop Boston from winning that series and then the World Series. They Yankees are well aware of what past statistics mean in the here and now.

It should be a tough series either way. Hopefully, whoever wins it, does it on their own. (meaning the umps don't screw it up too badly)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    This is 100% true. Winning a ballgame is not winning a coin toss.

I hate baseball, but I hate the Yankees more than baseball itself.

Thread Information