Ya ever read those new artist spotlights at AMG?

Ya know, when you click on the homepage? Kind of fun sometimes. Lots of suff shows up that we've already discussed, but sometimes they really come up with something interesting and fresh. Just saw this one today...did the Runaways and Chrissie Hynde really have a "punk snarl"?

Spotlight New Artist

Magneta Lane
    Toronto's Magneta Lane dress up classic '60s girl group pop for a modern crowd on their debut release, The Constant Lover. Lexi, French and Nadia add a bit of ladylike flair to the punk snarl of the Runaways and Chrissie Hynde for a new style. Indie rock boys, brace yourselves.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Toronto, huh?

Never heard of 'em.

A Friday night pity click from FA.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    A Friday night pity click from FA.
    Thanks, but I don't need no stinkin' pity clicks!

Hey, whatcha drinking tonight and what tunes are playing? Left coast time here means no tunes or drinks for awhile yet. Probably be kind of fun to hang out with the Magneta Lane ladies, but they do look a bit dour. Don't you have anything to be happy about up there?

BTW, thanks to Sloshy and Finchy I have a whole new weekend worth of tunes to explore. Thanks guys! Not that you'll probably see this unless you decide to hit me with a pity click.....but I'll post something for real after more time with them. Finchy's comp starts out pretty cool, but that's as far as I got last night.
    Last edited by Davey; 02-25-2005 at 04:48 PM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Coincidence?

They played some tune by Magneta Lane on a radio station here...demo I guess. Nothing stood out, didn't catch the name, but it's hard to pass judgement with one 3 minute song over the radio.
    Good luck to them.

Canada's Taking over...

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Ya know, when you click on the homepage? Kind of fun sometimes. Lots of suff shows up that we've already discussed, but sometimes they really come up with something interesting and fresh. Just saw this one today...did the Runaways and Chrissie Hynde really have a "punk snarl"?

Spotlight New Artist

Magneta Lane
    Toronto's Magneta Lane dress up classic '60s girl group pop for a modern crowd on their debut release, The Constant Lover. Lexi, French and Nadia add a bit of ladylike flair to the punk snarl of the Runaways and Chrissie Hynde for a new style. Indie rock boys, brace yourselves.
    Here it is another north-of-the border pity click.

How can any indie-wannabe not recognize that all that is important in the indie-rock world is punctuated with an "eh!" Do I have to list them....Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire, The Stills, GYBE, The Unicorns, Manitoba (no, not the province goof ball), The Boards of Canada, Of Montreal (OK so the last two are not actually Canadian but hey, they obviously wish they were), the list just goes on and on. And now Montreal is trumpeted as THE next big scene. Makes this eh-saying, beer-swilling, tuque-wearing, hockey-watching, curling-playing, back bacon-eating Canuuuuuck positively swell up with pride.

Watch-out America, leading edge indie rock is becoming as Canadian as state-sponsered health care and saying "NO" to Dubya.

Check out the Comsat Angels thread for another pity click.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Sometimes I click on 'em if I've heard of the artist. Based on this punk snarl of Chrissie Hynde & the Runaways...are they trying to say that this band sounds like the Donnas? Maybe Sahara Hotnights? I don't know...I use AMG all the time, but I must say, I still see no need for them to have every upgraded. And, frankly, some of their reviews are downright ridiculous at times, with hipster posturing just to try to create an angle where one isn't really necessary...oh, well, what can you do.

Drowning in box sets over here...the aforementioned Miles box, Seven Steps; and the Left Of The Dial 80s underground thing. How the hell do you sit through an entire box set? Well, I'm trying. Also the new Jerry Garcia Band box (All Good Things) which I'm really looking forward to, and also just today got my paws on a copy of what I guess is a fairly recent Ray Charles box--four discs of The Complete Country & Western Recordings. I've only sampled a moment or two here or there but what little I've heard is absolutely fantastic. Greatly looking forward to delving into this. Amazing after a long dry spell during which I heard little new music & was packing, moving, and then unpacking, that I get all this dumped on me all at once, but that's the way it goes, I guess. Oh, yeah, I have this Lucinda Williams double live CD thing that I haven't even heard yet. Can't wait for that either.

Boy, I just don't want to get up & change the disc...what the hell did I do when I was listening to a 15-minute side of an LP? Geez. So what I'm doing is burning discs of these boxes, MP3 discs, so I can actually let an entire box set go in one sitting if I want. A little inconvenient as I have to rename all the files for tagging purposes, but kinda worth it. I'm sure there's a better way, but I don't know what it is. Oh, well.

Saw KEXPMF last nite & she told me about a very interesting site I'll post a link to when I get a chance, I guess you'd think of it as a rock'n'roll trivia site of sorts. Good to see her, it's been awhile as she's been out of NYC quite a bit of the past few months. She was DJing in a bar on the Lower East Side just down the block from where I used to DJ...in a snowstorm! It was fun. But going out to bars in snowstorms is always fun here in NYC...

Right now I took a break from the boxes & am checking out a Putumayo collection--"New Orleans." Louis Prima, Dr. John, Louis Armstrong, Preservation Hall Hot 4 w/Duke Dejan, and a few others...nice stuff. Gotta run out & grab a beer at the deli & get back to work...

I don't like others.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Thanks, but I don't need no stinkin' pity clicks!

Hey, whatcha drinking tonight and what tunes are playing?
    I've been spending my days this weekend painting our bathroom. Should have only taken a couple of hours, but a few snags (a colour I ended up hating and then running out of paint altogether, and a damaged cabinet that had to be torn apart and returned after I had just finished putting it together) has turned it into a weekend long event.

During my little paint-fest I have been entertaining myself by listing to my iPod on shuffle. CDs loaded into it so far include, Scissor Scistors; The Shins; Jet; Boy; Snow Patrol; The Honeydogs; The Killers; Green Day; Rheostatics; and others.

As for drinking...well...I've just recently joined the Martini Craze and have indulged in several Martini flavours this weekend. My most recent favourite discovery is Vodka, Melon Liquer and fresh lime juice. Mmmmmmmm.

I'm not a very good Canadian, I'm afraid. I hate beer, eh.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I'm not a very good Canadian, I'm afraid. I hate beer, eh.
    Don't say that...I've been fortunate enough to travel to to many countries and sample many a martini. The best 2 martini's I've ever had were in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada and Vancouver, BC Canada.
    The "Bitter End" was the name of the dive in Halifax if anyone's wondering, had the one in Vancouver in a Marriot hotel of all places.

Canadians make the best Rye, too. Unfortunately, they also make the worst.

Since coming to Canada last fall, I have to admit, I've never seen so much rum consumed. I think the beer thing only tells part of the story.

Thread Information