Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

Jazz Comp for DL

Thought I’d try to post my own comp. This is actually something I put together years ago to give to family and friends that I thought could use some exposure to jazz-- but I didn’t want to put in the usual suspects. I've always struggled to put together a good comp. I think this holds together OK, considering the span of 50 years. A little over-represented in the McBride category but that’s what was on my mind then. Track 04 – Love for Sale is a great live take; I had to pair it with Watermelon Man for reasons that will become apparent. Enlightenment, Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, Acknowledgement, and Little Sunflower are some of my personal favorites. The beginning is mostly a lively mix that should be accessible to anyone. Tapers off to the mellow toward the end. Tracks 08 and 09 hopefully get you ready for 10 (Coltrane). The percussion in Acknowledgement kinda made me think of Little Sunflower, which also helps bliss you back out. Little Sunflower is a simple ditty that sounds best played loud and in the dark. I’ve never heard the original (F. Hubbard). Hope someone likes it.

01 (4:34) In a Hurry / Christian McBride:Getting’ to It (1995)
    02 (5:01) Enlightenment / Sun Ra and his Arkestra: Jazz in Silhouette (1958)
    03 (6:28) Watermelon Man / Herbie Hancock: Head Hunters (1973)
    04 (14:05) Love for Sale / Dee Dee Bridgewater: Live at Yoshi’s (2000)
    05 (11:26) This Here / Canonball Adderley Sextet: Dizzy’s Business (1963)
    06 (5:27) Sweet N’ Sour / Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers: Caravan (1962)
    07 (5:29) Getting’ to it / Christian McBride:Getting’ to It (1995)
    08 (4:45) Crepuscule with Nellie / Thelonious Monk: Monk’s Music (1957)
    09 (4:46) Goodbye Pork Pie Hat / Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um (1959)
    10 (7:47) Acknowledgment / John Coltrane: A Love Supreme (1964)
    11 (3:56) Little Sunflower Christian McBride:Number Two Express (1996)

Link for part 1 (~290Mb, 01to06.zip)
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/mafxe0

Link for part 2 (~160Mb, 07to11.zip)
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/63k3c9

You can download either file independently. The tracks are FLAC (Apple Lossless>AIFF>FLAC). To encode, I used MacFLAC (free). I set compression for smallest files w/ verification. It was mighty slow, but hopefully will help with download size. I didn’t normalize volumes or anything.

edit: I found www.sendspace.com a breeze to figure out. Very easy. No registration needed, no names, no email addresses... 300Mb limit on the files.

That is awesome. Is there a time limit on how long you can leave the files there?

according to the faq...
    The files remain up until they are inactive (no downloads) for 7 days.

There is a limit on downloads. The limit is 1Gb per day for free users. So that likely means that if more than 2 people want to download, they will need to wait a day.

But, there's some ambiguity in my reading. I never created an account so I'm not sure if only 1Gb/day of the files I put up can be downloaded OR if this means that any Joe Shmoe who wants to download can do so up to 1Gb. If it's the latter it would seem there's no restrictions on access.

There may be limitations on the number of simultaneous downloads

Maybe if every one who un/successfully downloads left a note, then we'd figure the answer out quickly.

Cool! I'll give it a shot but won't be able to listen until tonight or later

My friend found a bit-torrent site that has homemade DVD-A and DTS mixes for download. So far he has:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (DVD-A)
    The BeAtles - Abbey Road (DTS)
    Paul McCartney - Ram (DTS)

and is currently downloading The White Album and is gonna snag Animals next.

I'm heading to his house now but will post about it when I get the 411.

FWIW sendspace will only let you download one file at a time. I started part 1 in Firefox and then tried to get part 2 with IE but no dice. Must see your IP address. Guess I'll grab part 2 sometime later. You might want to put your links in code just so it can't be traced back to RR.
    Last edited by Slosh; 10-06-2006 at 10:52 AM.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

congrats, great compilation, watermelon man is wonderfull, tracks 7-11 are downloading now, all i know is goodbye porky pie hat, that was covered by marcus miller in 2001.
    really, congrats.

greetz,
    basite.
    Last edited by basite; 10-08-2006 at 07:56 AM.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

I still haven't had time to play the whole thing yet but I did use your post to tag and sequence it into a playlist and allmusic.com to snag the album art. Just got through track 4 and (as expected) the sonics are very good. The only jazz in my collection is a couple of tracks (Herbie, Miles) off of the free Rolling Stone SACD sampler from a few years back (pathetic, I know) so this is much appreciated.

I thought the downloadable comp thing would help bring this board back to life but not many people are taking advantage of the bandwidth. Oh sure, it's easier than physically mailing out CD-Rs but still . . . these things don't just spontaneously materialize out of the ether, so thanks!

BTW, I found the difference in file size between FLAC 5 and 8 to be tiny and not worth the extra encoding time (IMO).
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I still haven't had time to play the whole thing yet but I did use your post to tag and sequence it into a playlist and allmusic.com to snag the album art. Just got through track 4 and (as expected) the sonics are very good. The only jazz in my collection is a couple of tracks (Herbie, Miles) off of the free Rolling Stone SACD sampler from a few years back (pathetic, I know) so this is much appreciated.

I thought the downloadable comp thing would help bring this board back to life but not many people are taking advantage of the bandwidth. Oh sure, it's easier than physically mailing out CD-Rs but still . . . these things don't just spontaneously materialize out of the ether, so thanks!

BTW, I found the difference in file size between FLAC 5 and 8 to be tiny and not worth the extra encoding time (IMO).
    Man, I have so few gems (even fewer given your disinclinations) if I started comping now I'd have nothing left for my stellar year end comp! Seriously though, I'm with you on the shortage of comps. People said at one point all the comp talk ruined the place, personally I thought it was the selling point. I'm all for d/l comps, just don't really need a jazz comp however good it may be.

Noddin, pay no attention to my sign out quote, I've been using it since long before you ever heard of AR. No disrepect intended : )

Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Noddin, pay no attention to my sign out quote, I've been using it since long before you ever heard of AR. No disrepect intended : )

Regards,
    jc
    Yeah, I always liked Lisa better anyway...

o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0
    It's naive to think you can change a person--except maybe that boy who works in the library. -- Lisa Simpson

(self promotional bump)

Thread Information