When did Chan "Cat Power" Marshall get so big?

I guess it must've been building up for quite awhile, but saw that her last one The Greatest sold almost a quarter million copies just in the States. That's huge for an indie girl. And the cover of her upcoming covers record volume 2, aka Jukebox, has been one of the big featured new CDs plastered on the amazon front page. And I'm a sucker for cute singers, so I just ordered the pre-release 2-CD version. And I have The Greatest as my morning soundtrack today. What was the RR consensus on this? Or was there one? I like it, but it's one of those I very seldom play, I guess some of it just seems a bit too fluffy to me. But there's no denying it does have some magic too. Kind of mastered loud, but I've been told the vinyl really sounded fantastic. She did a fun show on ACL last year too, hot band and she's a bit on the charmingly odd side, as far as performers go. At least these days

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    See, this is when I miss the old format. My immediate reaction to, "When did Chan "Cat Power" Marshall get so big?" was to respond, "when she started eating all those Twinkies". But it just doesn't work the same in this format.

Was hoping this thread was gonna be about tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Was hoping this thread was gonna be about tits.
    How about a nice boobie instead?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

When I saw that Dashboard Confessional was headlining Madison Square Garden I wondered when they got so big, too.

Don't know about Cat Power, though I do think there was a long time where people dug her recs but didn't think much of her live performance. Maybe something changing in that equation had something to do with it, which doesn't exactly make sense, but you never know.

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Don't know about Cat Power, though I do think there was a long time where people dug her recs but didn't think much of her live performance. Maybe something changing in that equation had something to do with it, which doesn't exactly make sense, but you never know.
    Yea, she is a lot more confident these days, living well and sober, and many opportunities have come her way in the last few years including some fairly popular TV commercials featuring either her music or vocals. I think her popularity is mainly just the result of good exposure, although I know there was some backlash against her for doing that Cat Stevens song on the diamond commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    "when she started eating all those Twinkies"
    Twinkies make your boobs grow?

Well, I have no scientific proof...

AR Newbie Registered Member

Thanks

WEB SHERIFF
    Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
    Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013 / Fax 44-(0)208-323 8080
    websheriff@websheriff.com www.websherif.com

Hi Davey (& Everyone),

On behalf of Matador, many thanks for plugging “Jukebox” … .. and thanks, also, for not posting any pirate material.

Regards & New Year’s Greetings,

WEB SHERIFF

Well, I have no scientific proof...
    Science and boobs go hand in hand ...

Junk Food Boosts Boob Size in Younger Generations
    By: Stefan Anitei, Science Editor

Quote Originally Posted by WEB SHERIFF
    WEB SHERIFF
    Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
    Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013 / Fax 44-(0)208-323 8080
    websheriff@websheriff.com www.websherif.com

Hi Davey (& Everyone),

On behalf of Matador, many thanks for plugging “Jukebox” … .. and thanks, also, for not posting any pirate material.

Regards & New Year’s Greetings,

WEB SHERIFF
    WTF?! Big Brother is watching!

Although they might be more effective if they actually spelled their website correctly. I used Google to search rather than click the link anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    I stand corrected. There is scientific proof. It wouldn't be on the internets if it wasn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by WEB SHERIFF
    .. and thanks, also, for not posting any pirate material.
    How do you get to be a Web Sheriff anyway? Is there an election? Or are you appointed by the Web Mayor?

Aarrr, and I hear ya matey, I've been getting kind of burned out on those Decemberists' sea shanties myself lately.

If You Had Kept Your Mouth Shut...

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    her last one The Greatest sold almost a quarter million copies just in the States.
    If you didn't keep raving about here she'd still be languishing in obscurity.

So YOU are the reason she got so big!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    If you didn't keep raving about here she'd still be languishing in obscurity.

So YOU are the reason she got so big!
    So...Davey is a Twinkie?

So...Davey is a Twinkie?
    You make that sound like an insult. Everybody loves a Twinkie, don't they? I thought they were just like boobs

Does eating many Twinkies cause large boobs? YES!

Ya know...

...I haven't listened to her in quite a long time, but I think I'm going to since you mentioned her. I didn't care too much for The Greatest either, but really liked Moon Pix, although that's nearly 10 years old by now. She certainly has loads of talent..

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    ...I haven't listened to her in quite a long time, but I think I'm going to since you mentioned her. I didn't care too much for The Greatest either, but really liked Moon Pix, although that's nearly 10 years old by now. She certainly has loads of talent..

Swish
    Ya know, I never warmed to the later records quite like the early ones, guess You Are Free is kind of the dividing line for me. But man, what a great record (see below) that is! Listening to a pretty nice vinyl rip from Kel bazar right now, and it's the way to go. Many listens of this one since he put it up at Avax about a year ago, became a rediscovery of how good this record is. Need to pick up a real copy of the vinyl for myself, the Moon Pix vinyl always sounded way nicer than the CD, but this one even moreso. Like most recent music, the vinyl has lots more dynamics, and sounds much better for it, more natural.

(below) with recognition of the contrary opinion held by some past and present losers here... Ewww, why did I buy this?
    Last edited by Davey; 04-27-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    ...the Moon Pix vinyl always sounded way nicer than the CD
    Been listening to the Moon Pix CD the last couple days after installing the HDCD decoder in foobar, and it is sounding pretty nice. I remembered someone pointing out this was HDCD encoded, and I had just recently installed the decoder to do some Lucinda Williams listening (her Car Wheels is also HDCD encoded). Both use peak extension (many HDCD recordings don't use any of the available processing) so sounds significantly better when decoded.

Anyway, was just trying to find some info about what lead to mastering the CD with HDCD, and couldn't find any, but did find a very cool article about the recording session in Australia which has an interview with the engineer and some nice insight into Chan...

How did the first few days go?

So it started off and she came in and said "I want a backwards drum beat." She had a Beastie Boys cd or something like that in her bag and I can't remember which song it was, but we got one of the drum beats and flipped it around backwards. Cut it up a bit and put a drum beat in there, just some random thing. And she goes "Oh ok that's cool" and then she started recording American Flag on top of that. And it was very loose...but I think that was part of the charm.

Was she playing and singing at the same time?

Yep.

And this was in Sing Sing South?

No Sing Sing Richmond, the main one. We had a little amp in one room, her sitting in another room with a microphone. I think it was an M49 valve microphone. And I had a lovely Fairchild 660 compressor on there, going through a 1073 Neve Mic Pre. And it just sounded beautiful. She sang and it was like "Oh my god." She's got a creamy voice.

What was your impression of her as she began?

She was fine, a lovely lady. Very emotional. We would do takes and she'd just start crying in the middle of a take. And she'd say "Stop, stop, I'm sorry, I'm sorry" and I'm like "It sounded great!"

Recording Cat Power : Mess+Noise

Thread Information