Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

What's the best way to sell a guitar?

I know that there are a number of musicians on this site and I thought that you may have some good advice for me.

I have a limited edition Ovation guitar that I purchased in 2002. I've since decided that I don't really enjoy playing it. It sounds fantastic, but the bowl slides around too much and the neck is just a bit to wide for me. I'd like to sell it and then purchase something else in it's place. I'm thinking...Taylor.

I went into the store that I bought it from, but they aren't interested in it. The guy there said that I should put it on Craigs List and expect to get 60% to 70% of what I paid for it.

I've never tried to sell a guitar before. Does anyone have any suggestions of what the best way to sell this is? Is Craig's List the way to go?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Actually the advice you got wasn't too bad, go with either Craig's List or a local paper or zine. If you're feeling really adventurous you could post fliers around places frequented by musicians (music stores, bar districts, courthouses, etc.). The three worst venues are going to be music stores, pawnshops or ebay just because you'll take a much bigger hit on your dollars to make way for theirs.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I would second what bobsticks, said - I usually know people who'd be interested and work things out that way but I know Craig's List is pretty popular.

If you're close to a University you could use a campus newspaper/bulletin space and take out some ads. I've sold/bought many a guitar to/from poor, underfed, overboozed aspiring young musicians...

I like e-bay to be honest, but it has a downside.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I know that there are a number of musicians on this site and I thought that you may have some good advice for me.

I have a limited edition Ovation guitar that I purchased in 2002. I've since decided that I don't really enjoy playing it. It sounds fantastic, but the bowl slides around too much and the neck is just a bit to wide for me. I'd like to sell it and then purchase something else in it's place. I'm thinking...Taylor.

I went into the store that I bought it from, but they aren't interested in it. The guy there said that I should put it on Craigs List and expect to get 60% to 70% of what I paid for it.

I've never tried to sell a guitar before. Does anyone have any suggestions of what the best way to sell this is? Is Craig's List the way to go?
    You can check e-bay to see what your model is selling for and go from there. I never used Craig's List, so I can't help you there.

As for Taylor, I have a beautiful 714 CE and it plays as good as it sounds, although you may want to stay with the pure acoustic models. I bought this with the intention of playing out on occasion, but haven't done so, but it sounds excellent with or with an amp.

Good luck,

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    You can check e-bay to see what your model is selling for and go from there. I never used Craig's List, so I can't help you there.

As for Taylor, I have a beautiful 714 CE and it plays as good as it sounds, although you may want to stay with the pure acoustic models. I bought this with the intention of playing out on occasion, but haven't done so, but it sounds excellent with or with an amp.

Good luck,

Swish
    I like the bay as a consumer but as far as musical instruments go, it's a seller's market. Right now there are 61,897 guitars being shopped and 5004 of them ate acoustics. My concern is that our Fall Girl won't make what she could.

Yes, that's the big downside. Certain guitars...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I like the bay as a consumer but as far as musical instruments go, it's a seller's market. Right now there are 61,897 guitars being shopped and 5004 of them ate acoustics. My concern is that our Fall Girl won't make what she could.
    ...have widespread appeal and can command a fair price. I don't know that her model would do very well. Again, I suggested she do a search on e-bay for her particular model and see if any are selling and what they are getting for them. I do this with plenty of items I want to buy or sell (I buy a lot more than sell), and I even have a car on there right now and am up to 20 bids. You never know when someone out there is after exactly what you're selling, and I don't know of any other site with the number of potential buyers as e-bay. None. Period.

People on e-bay are generally looking for a good deal (read: cheap) but that's not always the case.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Thanks guys. Judging by the number of Ovations on ebay and the prices, I'm not going to get what I want for it there. Mine is a CP2002. The closest thing on ebay is a CP2003. I'll keep my eye on it to see if it sells. But I think that I might have better luck selling it locally.

There is a University nearby. I'll look into putting a classified into the University paper. There's also a music school across the street from my office, so I'll see if they have a bulletin board that I can post an ad on.

I'm not going to sell it for cheap. If I can't get a decent price then I'll keep it. It does play nice.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Actually the advice you got wasn't too bad, go with either Craig's List or a local paper or zine. If you're feeling really adventurous you could post fliers around places frequented by musicians (music stores, bar districts, courthouses, etc.). The three worst venues are going to be music stores, pawnshops or ebay just because you'll take a much bigger hit on your dollars to make way for theirs.
    I would agree, unless you know someone personally who wants it, but I never liked Ovations and most people are not big fans unless they happen to play their top-of-the-line models, which even then are still bowl-shaped and I always found them too difficult to sit down and play. I'd rather have a Taylor, which I do, so I'm good.

You might be able to find someone who is an Ovation fanatic, which they do exist, especially the younger, college kids. Maybe see if a local school will let you put up an ad.

Suspended
    How much does one of those Ovations cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    How much does one of those Ovations cost?
    Ovations can run anywhere from about $350 to a couple of thousand. Mine was worth about $1,000 new.

Suspended
    I can understand you not wanting to just give it away then. I'm like that with my Krell cdp I've posted a couple times, if I can't get a reasonable price for it, I might as well keep it.

So which Taylor do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I would agree, unless you know someone personally who wants it, but I never liked Ovations and most people are not big fans unless they happen to play their top-of-the-line models, which even then are still bowl-shaped and I always found them too difficult to sit down and play. I'd rather have a Taylor, which I do, so I'm good.

You might be able to find someone who is an Ovation fanatic, which they do exist, especially the younger, college kids. Maybe see if a local school will let you put up an ad.
    I was looking to buy another one, but I don't play the guitars I have enough to justify it. When I do, it's the Taylor for acoustic and my newly-refurbished Gibby ES335 for electric.

Swish

When I do, it's the Taylor for acoustic and my newly-refurbished Gibby ES335 for electric. Swish
    Nice gee-tars GSwishy. I also have a few too many to validate any further purchases although I find myself routinely tempted.

I was looking to buy another one, but I don't play the guitars I have enough to justify it. When I do, it's the Taylor for acoustic and my newly-refurbished Gibby ES335 for electric.

Swish
    The 314CE w/ Expression System....It's awesome. I played on the 700 series and even the model with the Koa wood and still like the 314 over them. This guitar replaced my beloved Larrivee, which I loved, but it wasn't a cutaway, which is what I wanted. If I were to get another Larrivee, which I hope I do it will probably be the Parlor guitar. Taylor has a new 12-String apparently that is suppose to be unrivaled. I gotta check that out!

Thread Information