Plant/Krauss: Raising Sand Review

I'm not sure who the genius was that decided to match up these to singers: ex-Zeppelin buzz-saw Robert Plant and bluegrass angel Alison Krause - but they did a very good thing!

I stumbled across this and had to give it a listen. It's an outstanding sort-of soft, easy-listening affair, but the production by T-Bone Burnett is, for the most part, outstanding (the creeping emphasis on bass and Tom Waits-like references sometimes get in the way). The songs are far from traditional, for the most part, and there are some real gems that will give this album some longevity.

All in all, a good move by both performers.

Could easily pick up awards for folk-album-of-the-year, although a lot of folks will probably find it a bit sleepy.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Nice - was wunderin' about this one...
    I'll have to check it out.

The only song out of place IMO, is the Everly Brothers' Gone Gone Gone. Highlights include Rowland Salley's Killing The Blues, of which Chris Smither does a great version if you are familiar with Smither, and Zep's Please Read The Letter.

Another great match would be Plant and Loreena McKennit.

I actually caught them doing a song on TV the other...

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    I'm not sure who the genius was that decided to match up these to singers: ex-Zeppelin buzz-saw Robert Plant and bluegrass angel Alison Krause - but they did a very good thing!

I stumbled across this and had to give it a listen. It's an outstanding sort-of soft, easy-listening affair, but the production by T-Bone Burnett is, for the most part, outstanding (the creeping emphasis on bass and Tom Waits-like references sometimes get in the way). The songs are far from traditional, for the most part, and there are some real gems that will give this album some longevity.

All in all, a good move by both performers.

Could easily pick up awards for folk-album-of-the-year, although a lot of folks will probably find it a bit sleepy.
    ...morning. Yesterday actually. I was overnight in Pittsburgh and was flipping thru the channels and saw them on the Today Show I think. It sounded decent, but Plant's vocals were overpowering the soft, bell-clear voice of Allison K., which annoyed me to no end. He had a good rock voice, but was kind of ruining this one for me. They needed to turn down his mic and do the opposite for her.

All in all I'd rather hear her by herself, or with her excellent band, Union Station.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Plant's vocals were overpowering the soft, bell-clear voice of Allison K., which annoyed me to no end.

All in all I'd rather hear her by herself, or with her excellent band, Union Station.

Swish

She has a wonderful voice, and yes, there's no question that she can do very well on her own without Plant, thank you very much. But Plant is not overpowering on the CD. In fact, he mostly sings in a soft hush. I don't think Plant fans will find much here to rejoice in, unless they also like Krause or folk music.

Of course, take away the control of the producer and introduce the egos, and there's no question which ego is going to sing louder.

I was only commenting about the live performance...

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    She has a wonderful voice, and yes, there's no question that she can do very well on her own without Plant, thank you very much. But Plant is not overpowering on the CD. In fact, he mostly sings in a soft hush. I don't think Plant fans will find much here to rejoice in, unless they also like Krause or folk music.

Of course, take away the control of the producer and introduce the egos, and there's no question which ego is going to sing louder.
    ...although I don't really have any reason to listen to Robert Plant. I'm sure they would do a much better job balancing them on the recording than they did live.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    picked this up on vinyl yesterday and have played it through a couple times. Really pretty great...has a few moments reminiscent of Emmylou Harris's Wrecking Ball which slides into Daniel Lanois sleepy-ville, but overall I can see it standing up much better over time. The Allison K. moments are stand-outs but Plant does tone it down and add some nice subtle harmonies and a couple pretty good lead tracks. Mark Ribot!, Norman Blake!, a good back-up band for sure and hell, they do two Gene Clark tunes! Don't know how the CD holds up but the vinyl is a pretty sweet listen.

Suspended
    I didn't care for the samples but I'd like to hear the album to get a better feel.

Plant and Loreena would be interesting. I think her genre would be more fitting for him too. He's done some cool solo stuff with Mid-Eastern musicians. I'm actually a big fan of his. It may just be me but his voice don't seem to fit oldies which he likes to do sometimes and I'll remain open minded but as I said the samples of this project didn't spark any interest.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    I've been buying/playing a lot of music lately and this is still a favorite spin of mine...
    The local radio station, the Current, played a tune today and I spent half the song trying to figure out how Jesse Sykes had such a gruff voice...like her with The Sweet Hereafter, it's a great groove.

Suspended
    According to the charts folks must be going for this Plant/Krauss thing.

Thread Information