What Are Your Latest Purchases? Anything 'Heavy Rotation' Material?

With a heavy biz travel schedule, a 6-month biz rotation in SF, and the settling of my father's estate after his passing in November 2009, I have made few purchases and had little time to listen. After my father's death, there was little desire for music. Thankfully, the last few months have not been as hectic and music is a welcome diversion. Latest purchases include:

John Hiatt "Dirty Jeans and Mudslide Hymns" (CD)
    Oasis "(What's The Story) Morning Glory?" (CD)
    Oasis "Definitely Maybe" (CD)
    JD Souther "Natural History" (CD)
    Stevie Nicks "In Your Dreams" (CD)

Bon Iver "for Emma, forever ago" -- LP + free MP3 download
    Bon Iver "Bon Iver" -- LP + free MP3 download
    The Cars "Move Like This" -- LP + free MP3 download
    Jeff The Brotherhood "We are the Champions" -- LP + free MP3 download
    Paul Simon "So Beautiful or So What" -- LP + free MP3 download
    Fleet Foxes "Helplessness Blues" -- LP + free MP3 download

Mister Heavenly's latest -- iTunes download
    Blue October's latest CD -- ordered, waiting for delivery

My favorites and heavy rotation contenders thus far are Blue October's latest; Jeff the Brotherhood; and Mister Heavenly. Would love to know what you have been buying, your latest purchases and heavy rotation favorites. (Sorry, if this has been a frequent topic).
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

Rae
    Hey AG!

Besides the Life Without Buildings LP that I posted about in the other thread, the last few things I bought were 7"s:

All of which I'm wearing out... I'm also going to buy the new Richard Buckner when I get around to it. Other than that, most of my heavy rotation has been older stuff or the mixtape that I posted about in the "What Is Spinning?" thread...

~Rae

Heaviest rotation lately has been Three Mile Pilot's The Inevitable Past Is The Future Forgotten from last year. Excellent album and right up there with the best Black Heart Procession and Pinback albums, IMO.

But just yesterday I picked this up:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Are Your Latest Purchases?  Anything 'Heavy Rotation' Material?-3wrq5.jpg  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Hey, AG! I thought of you the other day when I was spinning some Mellencamp (Rough Harvest).

Heavy rotation; so much of my listening is MP3 any more. One album that I do spin often is Midlake's The Trials Of Van Occupanther. Another is one from last year is Zeus-Say Us which is great stem to stern. Another, Broken Social Scene-Forgiveness Rock Record.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    isis - Oceanic
    Key Losers - California Lite
    Bon Iver - Bon Iver
    War On Drugs - Slave Ambient
    [IMG]http://www.thelmagazine.com/images/blogimages/2009/11/05/1257442219-*****please.jpg[/IMG]
    Ol Dirty Bastard
    Mayo Thompson - Corky's Debt to his Father

Rae
    Ahaha, nice selection jonny. You're the only person listening to Ol' Dirty Bastard and Corky's Debt to His Father in the same week in the whole universe, I guarantee it. And I mean that as a compliment.

Stone and I used to rock that Isis record a lot back in the day... can't remember if anyone else here was into it. We saw them tour on that record in Michigan in 2002. Lots of popping neck muscles. I always liked it best of their full-lengths but I didn't follow them down the proggier rabbit holes they explored later...

~Rae

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Ahaha, nice selection jonny. You're the only person listening to Ol' Dirty Bastard and Corky's Debt to His Father in the same week in the whole universe, I guarantee it. And I mean that as a compliment.
    ~Rae
    ha, thanks! ...the world would be a better place with more Mayo T./ODB mash-ups - Ol Dirty Mayo?
    re: isis, I guess you mean their 'Tool jr.' days...I really like their sound for this one and for Celestial but that was about it. Don't know if I'm going to Swans show though I should. Think I'll be at Opeth though - cookie monster voice aside, they're pretty amazing.

As far as newly purchased stuff, I'd say the heaviest rotation items for me lately are:

Beach Fossils: Self-Titled (from last year) & What A Pleasure (EP from this year)
    I see this referred to as a modern take on surf music, but I wouldn't really call it surf myself. Lots of jangly guitars throughout. If you do wanna make surf music comparison, think more the Ventures in their most mellow moments than Dick Dale. To me, the guitars are more reminiscent of jangly 80s fare. Good mellow summer music.

Fujiya & Miyagi: Ventriloquizzing
    A fairly dark, sparse bass driven electro thing that has a nice minimal groove throughout.

Been playing these quite a lot lately...along with some Fats Waller, Louis Armstrong, King Cole Trio and other assorted 78s.

For new stuff, I've been listening a lot to Richmond Fontaine "The High Country". Not officially released for a couple more weeks, so it's just 320 mp3 right now, but still sounds very nice. Supposed to be out on vinyl from Diverse in the UK .. see link below. The single "Lost in the Trees" is a great rocker, and is available now on 3-song 7", though may be sold out by now. Anyway, definitely one to look for. Couple songs up at my song of the day link.

Richmond Fontaine - The High Country @ Diverse

Also the new one from Richard Buckner has been getting lots of play. Great record.

Some other not so new stuff in heavy rotation recently on my computer:

Talking Heads '77 and Remain in Light (original CDs)
    T. Rex - The Slider (24-96 rip of the excellent Simply Vinyl 2011 reissue)
    David Bowie - Station to Station and Live Nassau (24-96 rips of the excellent vinyl in the 2010 StS boxset)
    Luna - Bonnie & Clyde / Chinatown EP (lots of great memories tied up here)
    Pauline Murray and The Invisible Girls (great old record from the early 80s, though can't claim I'm cool enough to have known it all that time)
    Cure - Disintegration (recently found a copy on the German Fiction label and surprised how much better it sounds than the US release - Love Song posted at SotD)

First spin:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

JEFF the Brotherhood - Live at Third Man Studios

Justin Townes Earle - Harlem River Blues

I'm hoping to see both of these artists next month down in Nashville, but it's still up in the air a bit.

Also, this:

And I just acquired a preview copy of the new one, but haven't listened yet.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    well, three new CDs i have picked up--

herb alpert and lani hall-i feel you

not the usual tijuana brass here. some very tasteful percussion and nice kick drum hits that are nice and tight. lani's singing sometimes seems reeled in and a bit formal but mostly enjoyable.

eliane elias-light my fire.

better than beautiful dreamer by a long shot. not limpid like dreamer was. kissed by nature is just a bit better but this one is close to kissed in rhythmic involvement.

rave on buddy holly-various artists

this is a BH tribute and a good one to boot. the last cut by graham nash is very affecting.

all of those are from concord which is turning out to be an even more exemplary label than before.
    ...regards...tr

Thread Information