Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What are you looking forward to in 2011?

For me, at least music-related, I am eager to get my new HT room ready to go. It's going to take a lot of work, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not going to rush because I want the design to be as good as possible while making sure I can modify it in the future as needed.

I'm also looking forward to the new cd releases from British Sea Power on 1/11, The Jayhawks on 1/18 (yes, they're back together), Iron and Wine on January 25th (you can download one song for free if you visit their website), The Decemberists on Jan. 15th, p.j. harvey on February 15th, and the Mountain Goats on March 29th.

As for OT items, I wish good health to a sister-in-law and a former employee who recently had surgery for cancer. Each was given a good prognosis, but you never know with cancer.

And for all my RR friends, I wish you a healthy and prosperous 2011.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

New Feelies record, that should be fun.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyShines
    Whoa, really? I hadn't heard!

For me:

Ɣ Gay Beast - To Smithereens (third LP, coming out on Skin Graft)
    Ɣ Death - Spiritual / Mental / Physical (long-lost followup to ...For the Whole World to See, being released by Drag City)

Both of those are dropping in January. Not sure what's happening after that.

~Rae

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Musically, I'm looking forward to new music from The Decemberists, R.E.M. and Threshold. I'm not sure who else is releasing new music this year.

Unmusically, I'm looking forward to getting a few more renovations done in our house, doing a whole lot of landscaping, and buying some new furniture. I'm also looking forward to a trip to New Orleans and maybe a few other trips throughout the year. Who knows where 2011 will take us.

Look who crawled out of his cave.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    The hermit named Dave. How have you been dude?

I did hear about that Feelies record but forgot about it when making my post. Looks like we won't see until spring, and it's their first in 20 years.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I wairing until about February or March to start buying new music. Mybe even later.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Maybe you should have waited until February to start drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    I wairing until about February or March to start buying new music. Mybe even later.
    Last edited by Swish; 01-02-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Typo

At least he waited until after breakfast

Did you hear The Limiņanas debut record? Pretty cool, got some of that Luna -> Dean and Britta vibe, but maybe a little more Talking Heads. Kinda light-weight French-pop. but fun.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to one big thing. July 1st 2011. It's hopefully my last day of work. As long as the stock market keeps going good and keeps pumping money into my 401K. Then every day is Saturday. I'll be able to give my gear the attention it deserves.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

That new Decemberists is good. Others up on the radar that I'm aware of:

Lucinda Williams – Blessed (March 1)
    Hayes Carll – KMAG YOYO (February 15)
    My Morning Jacket (TBA)
    Iron and Wine – Kiss Each Other Clean (January 25)
    Middle Brother (TBA, March 2011)
    Todd Snider- The Storyteller (February 1)
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

42 Regular
    As usual, I'm looking forward to a new REM disc. And I'll be tickled delirious if the rumors are true about them headlining Lollapalooza this year.

Right now, I'm looking forward to seeing the Bears in the playoffs. Especially if they get a chance to kick the Eagles' collective arse once again.

And I'm pretty torqued up about my upcoming trip to Vietnam in March.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    The Jayhawks on 1/18 (yes, they're back together)
    The reissues of Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass drop on 1/18 but I believe they're still in the recording process on the new one (although I could be wrong on that). Great to see Mark Olsen back with them and recording though.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    The reissues of Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass drop on 1/18 but I believe they're still in the recording process on the new one (although I could be wrong on that). Great to see Mark Olsen back with them and recording though.
    Anyone who likes The Jayhawks and who doesn't have both of these two stellar releases needs to update their wishlist right freakin' now. I'm not sure if I need the reissues necessarily, but these are two of the best examples of Americana roots-rock released in the 90s. (Or ever, for that matter.)
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'm looking forward to my RR pals to keep me up to date on what I should be sampling in 2011. New Nightwish Album is top of my list for this year so far.

OT, birth of my daughters, and some much needed time off - I switched jobs in November and had to take 8 days vacation in cash. Would rather have had the time off but oh well.

Hope 2011 treats you all well.

Hope Swishy finally gets his HT room finished - I don't think I could handle it in 2012

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    but I'll start proof-reading my posts immediately

Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    New Akron/Family in Feb. - S/T II: The Cosmic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT....no idea what that title's about but I'll def. be seeing them on that tour.
    James Blake full length in Feb.
    The vinyl reissue of Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising I ordered in August (!) is supposed to ship later this month (if you like them, the Sister reissue on lp sounds Worlds better than my cd)
    Wire new one...maybe

Yes, they're still working on it and are on tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    They just played at the TLA in Philly, where I saw them about 7 or 8 years ago, as best I can recall. Mark wasn't with them, but it was still a very good show.

No, I have not.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    At least he waited until after breakfast

Did you hear The Limiņanas debut record? Pretty cool, got some of that Luna -> Dean and Britta vibe, but maybe a little more Talking Heads. Kinda light-weight French-pop. but fun.

But you know I'll be checking it out...d'oh!

Man, there's tons coming out that I'll have to at least consider according to metacritic:
    British Sea Power
    Wire
    Gang of Four
    Kraftwerk
    The Go! Team
    Cut Copy
    the Dears
    The Wrens
    Shins
    Human League
    Iron and Wine
    and I never give up hope for a new Postal Service disc. It was rumored a couple of years ago and it came back up recently from a completely unreliable source so I maintain a sliver of hope.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Rae
    The Wrens are coming out with a new album too, huh? Iiiinnterestinggg... this seems like some vast conspiracy to get me to spend lots of my money.

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    The Wrens are coming out with a new album too, huh? Iiiinnterestinggg... this seems like some vast conspiracy to get me to spend lots of my money.

~Rae
    Well, that is according to the metacritic site which doesn't always pan out. Here's hoping.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

They've been recording. They do Facebook updates. Haven't seen a release date on there though.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

What am I looking forward to in 2011? For starters, I would say the entrance of the Republicans on the Hill as well as the rest of the Obama-phobes, who have decried Obama's person and work and are supremely confident that their presence will, at last, put this foundering ship of state aright.

Would that I could be there to open the door wide for them!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    What am I looking forward to in 2011? For starters, I would say the entrance of the Republicans on the Hill as well as the rest of the Obama-phobes, who have decried Obama's person and work and are supremely confident that their presence will, at last, put this foundering ship of state aright.

Would that I could be there to open the door wide for them!
    I just hope that they can work together and keep everything going in the right direction. It's taken 2 years for Obama to get the country going in the right direction after the failed policies of the Bush administration. We need to get the people working again and lower our dependance on foreign oil. I'm sure I make it sound so simple.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

You guys never cease to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    I just hope that they can work together and keep everything going in the right direction. It's taken 2 years for Obama to get the country going in the right direction after the failed policies of the Bush administration. We need to get the people working again and lower our dependance on foreign oil. I'm sure I make it sound so simple.
    I'm really trying to avoid politics on this site, but I feel the need to respond. As a fiscal conservative, Bush was not my favorite president, but Obama blasted him for 'failed leadership and policies' when he voted against raising the debt ceiling as a US Senator, and now the shoe is on the other foot and guess what? Yeah, you guessed it. After raising our National Debt from $9 Trillion to $14 Trillion, he wants to borrow even more. Stop the world, I want to get off.

In addition, Bush was blasted when gasoline rose about $3 per gallon, with Hilary Clinton leading the charge that Bush was in the pockets of the oil companies, but now with prices over $3 per gallon, nary a word is said. Sounds like a double-standard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information