Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Something's rubbing off on me.

I'm not sure what it is or how to get rid of it, but I'm holding most of you personally responsible!

On the way home from work I stopped at the mall to pick up some CDs. I had a list. It wasn't my usual list of bands like Dream Theater; Porcupine Tree; Rush; and Queensryche. It was a list that included Keane (No guitar! WTF!!! How do you create music without a guitar?); The Shins; Scissor Sisters; and Franz Ferdinand.

I didn't buy the Franz Ferdinand because they didn't have the newer release with the bonus disk. Instead, I picked up Modest Mouse's, The Moon and Antarctica.

What's happening to me?

I'm scared.

Well Done!!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I'm not sure what it is or how to get rid of it, but I'm holding most of you personally responsible!

What's happening to me?

I'm scared.
    Well done, ForeverAutumn.

The Moon and Antarctica is imho their best; although the last three are all good.

Cheers,
    Bill

Why don't you give us a review of one or more?

I saw Scissor Sisters on Regis and Kelly (my wifes choice, not mine) Regis asked what the name Scissor Sister meant and it was kinda funny what the guy did (it seemed to be some sort of lesbianish greeting using the two fore fingers, spread in a 'V', of one hand inserted into the 'V' shaped fore fingers of another hand) Regis didn't get it but Kelly seemed amused, after Jimmy Fallon wispered into her ear.

They seemed to be a sorta retro-rock band similar to Head East (albeit edgier) with both lead male and female singers.

Lots of things have rubbed off on me over the last couple of years.

This forum, both the old version and the new, have truly been a wonderful find. Much of the music I listen to now is because of this place and the people here. My mind has never been opened wider.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

One at a time, girl, one at a time!

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. It resulted from the excitement and enthusiasm from several members of this board (not just one, so I'm not going to single anyone out, but one of them had a moniker that started with S and ended in nowbunny). Unfortunately, it coincided with a severe bout of old fogey music that everyone seemed to be into at the time. Total crap.

So, on behalf of everyone, I'd like to apologize.

Especially for that Scissor Sisters. Blech.

But that Franz Ferdinand rocks. I don't think you'll be sorry about that one.

Once you get it, that is.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    I borrowed that Franz Ferdinand and thought it was boring, repetitive new rock drivel, but that's just me...

I do like that Killers record, tho.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    I borrowed that Franz Ferdinand and thought it was boring, repetitive new rock drivel, but that's just me...
    That's weird since most of the talk about this record has concentrated on how new wave disco post punk derivative it is. But fun. Lots of fun. Anything but boring. Almost like you're talking about a different CD. I probably would've guessed that it would appeal to you based on a lot of the things you do like, but guess I'm way off on this one

Just curious though, do you realy think it is repetitive? Seems that they explore a lot of different sounds on this debut. Probably too many for their own good because it does leave them hanging out there without a strong musical image of their own. But I never found it to sound repetitive. There does seem to be a big divide with music fans on Franz Ferdinand. I really like it, but some of my online and offline peers (ie old geezers) don't care much for it. Would be curious to hear your reaction to the Futureheads debut. Maybe one of us will send you a demo (winky winky PM me or Troy or ______ if you wanna hear a new take on XTC).

Forum Regular
    I dunno, Davey Ravey, the FF just didn't grab me, but maybe I need to give it more listens!

Old Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    ....but maybe I need to give it more listens!
    Maybe, maybe not. Nothing wrong with not liking it. I was just a little surprised at how you described it. That's all

Thread Information