Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What? No Tuesday listening thread yet?

Whatcha folks waiting on? It is Tuesday isn't it? I got home from working and was ready to check it out and I was met with a big void. I'll get it posted and fill in the toonage shortly.

What's been filling your ears?

Let's see what was new on tap for this past week...

Mike's Year End compalooza was a real dandy.

PELV is alive!!! got a little bundle from this fine gent which included 2 Pelv originals and Air's Virgin Suicide soundtrack. Thanks bud, glad to know your still spinning discs and I'll get back to you real quick.

The mystery disc that is on it's way to everyone who asked for one.

Roni Size- In The Mode Clearly not what I was expecting but there are some fine moments

Dead Can Dance-Toward The Within a live release. Live only in the sense that there was an audience and it sounds like a few remained awake. Pretty lackluster if you ask me and my least favorite DCD album by far.

Lamb-What Sound deluxe-mmmm very tasty indeed. probably a top 10'er

T. Raumschmiere-Radio Blackout. Not sure if I listed this last week or not but it's pretty much new and has some choice cuts.

Zwan-Mary Star Of The Sea. Finch sent me a CDR of this a while back and got the original cheap. Not sure it was cheap enough. figured I'd give it a shot since I saw it on a few early best of 2003 lists. Of course it wasn't anyone I know.

Filled in the rest of the week listening to old stuff
    jc
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 12-02-2003 at 01:38 PM.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Looking at the cd stack on top of my computer tower, I've been spinning:

CDs:
    *Smokin' Joe Kubek "Take Your Best Shot"
    *Johnny Lang "Wander This World"
    *DMB "Busted Stuff"
    *Chris Duarte Group "Texas Sugar Strat Magik
    *Ryan Adams "Gold"

Comps:
    *Jack 70's Hillbilly Heroes Western Swing Comp. This thing is awesome. What a great heritage of music in this collection. Thanks jackson.
    *Slosh's 2003 All Over Again. Nice job Patrick - see my review in the other thread.
    *Mine & Chip's Harpin comp

Christmas CDs:
    *Vince Guaraldi Trio "A Charlie Brown Christmas"
    *Mannheim Steamroller "Christmas Extraordinaire"
    *Emmylou Harris "Light of the Stable"
    *Leon Redbone "Christmas Island"
    *Jimmy Buffet "Christmas Island"

JD

Just threw on the Seal record to see if all the fuss & hype I saw about it amounted to anything. It may be a bit better than what he's turned out in the past, but when it comes to slickly-produced R&B, I'll stick with the Jackson Five. Not horrible, but not inspiring, either.

Heard a GREAT record I'd never heard before--NRBQ At Yankee Stadium. Not a live album, it's from 1978 & is a great rock'n'roll/bar band/power pop record in the vein of Nick Lowe & Dave Edmunds, but the Flamin' Groovies also, so if that sounds appealing to you, check them out. I've heard a lot of good things by them in the past & a few that were just ok (I have a collection that is, frankly, hit & miss--Stay With We), but this is DAMN good. Also I was listening to an orchestral adaptation of the music from the movie Blade Runner, and while it's mostly boring, there's a very nice poppy jazzy bluesy tune on it--One More Kiss, Dear. Also I was listening to Jimmy Reed--16 Greatest Hits; David Peel & the Lower East Side--Have A Marijuana; John Cale--Honi Soit; and some Nat King Cole (the later stuff) to get into the holiday mood. And OF COURSE some Ramones, especially the Joey Ramone solo album, before, during, & after the dedication on Sunday.

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Whatcha folks waiting on? I got home from working and was ready to check it out and I was met with a big void. I'll get it posted and fill in the toonage shortly.

What's been filling your ears?

jc
    I was gonna start it, but it was a slow week for me. Only 3 new-to-me cd's this week, and I don't even remember what one of them was:

Vashti Bunyan, Just Another Diamond Day- a cult record form '69 or so- British waif-child singing folk songs, backed up by some Fairport Convention guys. Only released on cd in the last coupla years; apparently th lp goes for scads of bucks, or pounds. Dunno what the big woop has been about all these years- pleasant enough voice, and the songs are charming, but no big deal. Gawdawful mastering to cd, too.

Van Morrison, What's Wrong With This Picture- Somewhere around the early 90's, Van The Man turned into a song stylist, IMO. Now, don't get me wrong- I'm as big a VanFan as anyone I know. This new release is very good at what it sets out to do- his chops are as good as ever, delving into some bluesy, jazz-tinged tunes. And the fixation with the pitfalls and "stardom" and all its attendant pains as lyrical theme for a majority of the songs is wearing a little thin. I might expect too much from him, but "very good" is a bit disappointing to me- I'm left still wondering if there is one more GREAT Van Morrison album left in him before it's all said and done.

Slosh's year-end comp is absolutely killer. Thanx, Slosh.

et
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

I like the music on these compact discs. The musicians play instruments and sing on them. It is nice.

Forum Regular

I promise to get an avatar and a closing epigram soon!

I've been digesting the new Strokes album. And it's not too difficult to digest: stylistically very similar to their last one, with that same improbably melodic and laid back fuzzy garage rock. These guys can do woozy decadence better than any band I can think of, and Casablancas' vocals still slay me; it's a really enjoyable listen.

New Outkast has me bouncing around; lots of good and strange candy on this one. But I've only listened to it all the way through twice so I don't have anything more definitive to report yet.

Luna's Bewitched has been my falling asleep and waking up music for the last few days. Languid and hypnotic, with incandescent guitar interplay.

Bob Dylan's Slow Train Coming has been spinning a lot this past week. Totally underrated Christian Soul album from His Bobness. "Gotta Serve Somebody" is a great Disco number. The almost-title-track "Slow Train" is a masterpiece. "I Believe in You" and "Precious Angel" are not far behind.

I finally got an iMac (17" monitor version) and iPod on Friday. (Thanks to Mary for the notice of the sale (however modest); I had been planning on getting an iMac for awhile but hadn't taken the plunge yet.) Uh-Oh: iTunes Music Store will not be far behind, I fear. Looking forward to getting some great rap and pop singles off of albums that aren't worth me buying.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Just threw on the Seal record to see if all the fuss & hype I saw about it amounted to anything. It may be a bit better than what he's turned out in the past, but when it comes to slickly-produced R&B, I'll stick with the Jackson Five. Not horrible, but not inspiring, either.

I think the fuss and hype are directly related to the fact that he waits so long between albums, unlike most everyone else in the business who isn't retired. After the release I saw a little hype but I don't check many sites other than this and I don't read the press mags so if there was additional hype I must have missed it. My impression is nearly opposite yours. I thought this album was pleasant enough and had two, maybe three really great tracks but I didn't like it nearly as much as any of his previous releases, certainly not as much as I would have liked to.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar

Stuff in the car

Not a big week; spent much of it at casa de mama for Thanksgiving.

Store-bought spinny disc thingees

Ian Moore - s/t. Been a fan of this Blues/Soul/Rock/Pop/Gospel/Funk CD for several years and a fresh spin was overdue. Made to be played at excessive volume levels.

Ian Moore - 'Modern Day Folklore'. More of Ian's soul-injected Blues-Funk. I won't ever get tired of 'Muddy Jesus'.

Paul Thorn - 'Ain't Love Strange'. Basic, but solid Blues-tinted rock-n-roll with quirky (and often funny) lyrics.

There were four or five more, but I cain't 'member 'em.

Compyllayshuns (my own stuff):

'Tie-Dyed and Fried' - Trip 2

'Blues Deluxe' - Disc 14

'Winter Fades'

'Pop Synthabilities' - Disc 7
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

Forum Regular

Classical Miscellany

Dittersdorf, Sinfonias in D minor, F major, and G minor. Uwe Grodd, Failoni Orchestra. Naxos 8.553974. Really nice sound and performances.

Deems Taylor, Through the Looking Glass; Charles T. Griffes, various works. Gerard Schwarz, Seattle Symphony. Delos DE 3099. The Taylor is a fascinating musical fantasy on the Alice tales. We had a recording when I was a kid.

Beethoven, String Trios Op. 9, nos. 1 and 3; Schubert, Trio Movement D471. Beethoven String Trio of London. BBC Music Vol. II no. 9 available exclusively from BBC Music Magazine. I bought it used. Very nice in every way.

Beethoven, Violin Concerto, Op. 61. Zino Francescatti, violin; Bruno Walter, Columbia Symphony Orchestra. CBS MK 42018. My favorite recording of this work.

Brahms, Symphony no. 2. Gunter Wand, North German Radio Symphony Orchestra. RCA 60087-2-RG.

Bruckner, Symphony no. 4 (Romantic)), 1878/80 version, ed. Haas. Georg Tintner, Royal Scottish National Orchestra. Naxos 8.554128.

J. S. Bach, Orchestral Transcriptions by Stokowski. Robert Pikler, Sydney Symphony Orchestra. Chandos 6532. Not the complete Stokowski Bach, which is available on Chandos with Mathias Bamert, but I like it. The recording is balanced somewhat brightly and needs some bass boost and treble cut. Stoky did a great deal to educate the public on Bach’s music and you would have heard his arrangement of the Toccata and Fugue in D minor in Disney’s Fantasia.

Mozart, Klaviersonaten Kv. 281, 330, and 333. Vladimir Horowitz, piano. DG 431 274-2.

Russian Favorites: Borodin, Symphony no. 2, In the Steppes of Central Asia; Othmar Maga, Philharmonia Hungarica. Ippolitov-Ivanov, Caucasian Sketches; Gliere, excerpts from The Red Poppy Ballet; Siegfried Landau, Music for Westchester Symphony Orchestra. Vox Allegretto ACD 8161. This is the best performance I know of Caucasian Sketches (really just Suite no. 1), although there are recordings with much better sound; it’s pleasant, though.

Ippolitov-Ivanov, Caucasian Sketches, suites 1 and 2. Christopher Lyndon Gee, Sydney Symphony Orchestra. Hong Kong Marco Polo Records 8.220369. Suite no. 2 is much less interesting than no. 1. Wonderful sound, but the performance is not nearly as stylish as Landau above.

Beethoven, Violin Sonatas nos. 5 (Spring) and 9 (Kreutzer). Takako Nishizaki, violin; Jeno Jando, piano. Naxos 8.550283. This is early Naxos (1989) but well worth getting.

C. P. E. Bach, Hamburg Sinfonias nos. 1-6. Christian Benda, Capella Istropolitana. Naxos 8.553285. One of the important 18th century symphonists along with the likes of his brother J. C. Bach, Dittersdorf, Vanhal, Kraus, the Stamitzes, and others.

Double Concertos with Jascha Heifetz: Bach, Concerto for Two Violins, with Erich Friedman, violin; Mozart, Sinfonia Concertante, with William Primrose, violas; Brahms, Concerto for Violin and Cello, with Gregor Piatigorsky, cello. Conductors are Sargent, Solomon, and Wallenstein. RCA 09026-63531-2. Really fine performances all around.

Walton, Symphony no. 1, Variations on a Theme by Hindemith. Handley, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra. EMI CDC 7 49671 2. Spectacular recordings.

Walton, Symphony no. 2, Viola Concerto, Johannesburg Festival Overture. Lars Anders Tomter, viola; Paul Daniel, English Northern Philharmonia. Naxos 8.553402.

Night Train. The Oscar Peterson Trio. Verve 821 724-2.

Yeah, I know I’ve mentioned some of these recently, but I felt like hearing them again.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Pretty much same as last week here.

The Czars - Before...But Longer, The Ugly People...
    CKY - Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild
    AFI - Sing the Sorrow
    The Gourds - Stadium Blitzer, Ghosts of Hallelujah
    PJ Harvey - Stories...
    Johnny Dowd - Temporary Shelter
    Starlight Mints - Dream That...
    Lucinda Williams - s/t
    Gillian Welch - Time...

John

dld
    Forum Regular

Same ol stuff

Jack Ingram Live At Billy Bobs

The Beatles, A Collection Of Oldies (try finding this one, I lucked out in a
    Lubbock, Tx antique store. Like new)

Santana, S/T (First)

Marty Robbins, Gunfighter Ballads and Ttrail Songs

Pat Green , Wave On Wave (Thnx JD, better each listen)

Elvis Christmas Album

A Cajun Christmas

Rory Bloch, Best Blues and Originals, The Water Is Wide is done beautifully, worth the price of the CD by its ownself

Beatles Rubber Soul

Rutles, Archaeology, Mrs. Nasty, "Which Beatles album is that" on hearing it from the kitchen. Shangri La is a perfect melding of Let It Be, I Am The Walrus, and All You Need Is Love and in some ways, superior? No way right?

Leonard Cohen, The Songs Of Leonard Cohen
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

A great thread to bump...

...if only to conjure thoughts of Sloshy listening to Seal.

NP:

So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Ozzy- Scream

Ozzy Osbourne's tenth studio album was originally called Soul Sucka before fans shut the working title down. The resulting Scream may not win any awards for brain cell power as far as titles go, but the 11 tracks contained within find the Prince of Darkness in fine form. People who only know the metal legend from watching him mumble and baby step around his house in sunglasses and a track suit on reality television can hardly be blamed for steering away from his music, but it only takes one chorus of opener “Let It Die” to suggest otherwise. Like 1980’s Blizzard of Ozz (Randy Rhoads), 1983’s Bark at the Moon (Jake E. Lee), and 1988’s No Rest for the Wicked (Zakk Wylde), Scream features a changing of the guard. Enter Greek power metal guitarist Gus G., a progressive, tech-heavy shredder who can pound out drop-D, Lamb of God-inspired doom riffs (“Latimer’s Mercy”) on one hand while paying respects to Rhoads' peerless “Diary of a Madman” intro on the other (“Diggin’ Me Down”). His enthusiasm for the material acts like a charging dock for Osbourne, who co-wrote the record with producer Kevin Churko, and while Scream suffers from the same “a handful of songs are great and the rest are OK” curse that has plagued everything since 1981's Diary of a Madman, the songs that are great are indeed great. Ozzy Osbourne may be more product than man these days, but for every uncomfortable TV commercial there’s a “Time” or a “Let Me Hear You Scream” to help remind people that the man behind the machine still has at least one hand on the wheel.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    How unfortunate. I'm really, really tired of drop-D...

What're your impressions Finchmeister?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Rae

~Rae

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

just to name a few
    Last edited by 3LB; 06-29-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

3LB
    and my fave indie release so far...

3LB
    I did hear Ozzy's Life Won't Wait off the new one and I gotta say, its a pretty damn good song. Yeah, Ozzy's more of a front than a frontman these days, but something about hearing that voice carrying the torch after the departure of Ronnie James Dio... its comforting in a way.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Ozzy and comforting aren't usually words that you hear in the same sentence.

How's that Anathema disk 3LB? Is it growly?

I've been listening to a couple of very fine prog releases this week. Both new to me.

Avalon - Vision Eden: I picked up this disk because it was only $9.00 at Laser's Edge and I liked the discription that compared them to Vanden Plas. I wasn't disappointed. I've only spun it twice so far but it's very good progressive metal and the vocalist is very strong. I need more time with it, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Roswell Six - Terra Incognita: A Line In the Sand: This is a very interesting disk for many reason. First of all the music is written by Henning Pauly. I generally jump at any project that Pauly is involved in. He's just brilliant IMO. Secondly, the lyrics are written by a Science Fiction author, Kevin J. Anderson. The CD is a companion to his novel The Map Of All Things. I'm not big Sci-fi fan and it's not likely that I'll read the book, but I love the idea of mixing media like this. Thirdly, the cast of vocalists are an outstanding group that includes, Steve Walsh (Kansas), Michael Sadler (Saga), Sass Jordan (outstanding Canadian rocker), and Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon), among others. Fourthly, and most importantly, the music just kicks a$$. For those who love a good heavy hitting progressive rock CD, this is an outstanding CD in every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rae

~Rae
    I AIN'T NO GODDAMN SONOFABITCH
    You better think about it, baby

I can't wait til I get all my music back.

Here are a few things I listened to recently:

And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

42 Regular
    3LB: I heard a couple of tracks from American Slang and kinda liked them. Then I heard another, and it sounded like the Gin Blossoms. What are your thoughts?

Oh, and what about Anathema? Inquiring minds wanna know.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

3LB
    Anathema is a band I'm very remiss for having waited so long to investigate. I'm really digging the new one. I have an older album of theirs as well, A Natural Disaster, which I also like. No CMVs on either, and hasn't been for several albums I've read. I remember reading about Anathema years ago when someone at PE suggested Opeth's Damanation album was inspired by Anathema's turning away from CMVs for normal vocals. Anyone else hear this band before? Kinda like a symphonic Porcupine Tree or metallic Coldplay. Good vox actually.

As for Gaslight Anthem, the jury is still out on that one. It was a loaner and I really didn't get but a couple of spins. Definitely a big epic sound. I can certainly hear the Springsteen references, but not anything reminiscent of Gin Blossoms...and I like Gin Blossoms.

I bought a couple of Anathema CDs many years ago based on DarrenH's rave reviews. Too many CMVs and I ended up hating them. I believe that Finchy may have been the ultimate beneficiary of that mistake IIRC.

I'd be willing to give them another try if they've changed their vocal style. What would you recommend?

3LB
    I wonder what CDs those were? according to what I've read, they been CMV free since '99.

I definitely recommend their latest

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    I wonder what CDs those were? according to what I've read, they been CMV free since '99.

I definitely recommend their latest
    One was definately A Fine Day to Exit. That's the one that Darren was loving at the time. I forget what the other one was...maybe, Eternity. That rings a bell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information