Forum Regular

Talking What "new music" have you recently discovered?

I somewhat recently was introduced to the music of Cassandra Wilson and very recently introduced to the music of Karrin Allyson, Michael Franks, and Michael Brecker. I really enjoy the music of these 4 artists.

What recent musical discoveries have you made that you really enjoy?
    Last edited by LeRoy; 05-19-2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: typo

Anouar Brahem for me, and more specifically Le Pas du Chat Noir from 2002. Lots to explore, and very rewarding.

Amazon.com
    The Tunisian oud master Anouar Brahem has chosen to work in a trio setting this time out, accompanied by Francois Couturier on piano and Jean-Louis Matinier on accordion. Brahem states in the liner notes that these pieces were actually composed on the piano, emerging while he was taking a much-needed short break from his primary instrument. While Le Pas du Chat Noir ("The Black Cat's Footsteps") is a change of pace, it is a not a terribly remote detour. Brahem is still in his favorite space, exploring the power of implication, and the other players are in synch with his vision. All three participants sound muted, relating to one another in parallels rather than in a heated dialogue. The result is a spacious, romantic pastiche of Farid El-Atrache, Astor Piazzolla, Keith Jarrett, 19th- and 20th-century French impressionists (especially Eric Satie), plus shades of every strung-out, enervated, after-hours nightclub jam that ever was. --Christina Roden

Forum Regular
    greetings from Melbourne!
    ah! finally someone who is interested in real music...
    yes, Casandra Wilson is outstanding! I have all her albums starting from Rendevous with Jacy Terrason, to her newest one called Silver Pony, they are all audiophile standard and very good recordings.
    they are alongside my CD collection with Diana Krall, Karin Allyson, Rene Marie (another excellent singer) Liz Wright - another outstanding jazz singer, and Melody Gardot, excellent album "my one & only thrill"

just recently I came across Keb Mo, whom I had not experienced as yet... wow! what wonderful music, blues just like BB King, another few I came across recently:
    Turrel Strayhorn
    Jessica Williams
    Patty Wicks
    Sting's specials on Duetsch Gramaphone with the London Symphony orchestra - outstanding album where he mixes it up with the full orchestra playing his great old tunes such as "Englishman from new york" and "Roxanne" get this one it is a real beauty!

another one just last weekend I purchased from max jazz was "Dena DeRose" walk in the park and live at jazz standard vol 1 & 2. great albums, excellent recordings very pristine indeed.

The preamp I am using currently is the conrad johnson ACT2, which would very easily pick up any faults in the recording through my Quad Electrostats, hence when it is a good recording - it is a dam good recording! if the recording is bad (excessive noise, not so great acoustics and too much sizzle, I simply return it!) I've been pruchasing all my music from a well known music distributer in Australia called JB HiFi, they are huge and very good service. plus I know the manager quite well since I have been a customer of theirs since 2005. they know I am not the type that mucks around with music, so they respect that and have been providing me timely orders when I place them each week or so.

oh! I must not forget, there is this one CD called K2H sound from JVC. this is supposed to be a demo CD for very high-end systems, see if you could get hold of it, it is a gold-yellow color disc that has about 20 tunes on it all of which are 24bit 192k high resolution recordings. the dynamics are pretty amazing, never heard anything like this before in terms of live impact from any of my systems before...
    this particular disc may be hard to find, I was gifted it from my conrad johnson importer.

have a good one and enjoy that music!
    cheers, Raj J

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Raj J View Post
    ah! finally someone who is interested in real music...
    Now that's just obnoxious.

It was mentioned in a conversation between nobody and I in another thread, but I've really been getting into Glenn Branca. One of those 'know about them, understand their influence, know generally what they sound like... but have never sat down and listened to a proper album' kind of guys. I've been listening a lot to The Ascension in particular and it realllly hits me off the right way. On the simplest levels, the atonal dissonance that builds and resolves into major consonance in a lot of his work can be really cathartic, but I've been finding new things to latch onto with each successive listen.

Also, a friend of mine hipped me to Aksak Maboul, an experimental Belgian duo from the late 70s/early 80s and I've been spinning their two albums, Onze Danses Pour Combattre la Migraine and Un Peu de l'Âme des Bandits. The duo is Marc Hollander and Vincent Kenis, names that might be familiar with folks in tune with this kind of stuff, and Fred Frith is on the later album. I like it. The compositions sometimes unfold like Rube Goldberg contraptions with lots of disparate parts working in concert... "a whole little world of sounds," as he said.

Another friend has been trying to get me into Juliana Barwick, who does a lot of vocal layering stuff that ends up being not dissimilar to Sigur Rós or other dreamy, celestial groups of that ilk. Sometimes it gets a little too austere for me but it can make for great headphone music when you're in the right mood. The best moments for me come when she gets a little warmer or finds a rhythmic pattern in the interplay of voices (all her, multitracked) but her more precise, composerly side might find resonance with those who wished Animal Collective listened to a little more Arvo Pärt...

~Rae

I haven't delved too far into Branca's catalog, but The Ascension is some pretty great stuff.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    Davey, I happen to have the very CD from A.B. I got it about a month ago and was playing it last night while typing this thread...lol....It's the only CD I have from his works and I've been wondering if the rest of his music is similar.

Raj J- thanks for the extensive list of artists. Looks like I am going to have to get a few more new CD's

Rae- thanks for your contributions as well. Somehow I can tell I'll also be seeking out the music from the artists that you have listed as well.

Thanks guys!!

LeRoy

Gonna again mention Guitar Lesson #1 for fans of The Ascension. Really good and in the same vibe.

Lately I've been playing around with some oddities released on cassette only, mostly noise and ambient stuff. Found a few on the NNA Tapes label that are really good if you like atmospheric synth sorta stuff, heavily influenced by things like Aphex Twin's more laid back moments and that sorta thing. Also some kraut rock influenced garagey psych bands like Catacombz. Mostly just having fun messing around with a bunch of weirdo obscure crap and playing around with a tape player for a change of pace.

Also...the new solo album from Darryl Jenifer (Bad Brains bass player) kicks ass. Just got it last night, although it came out last year.

Forum Regular

Flim & the BB's

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    I somewhat recently was introduced to the music of Cassandra Wilson and very recently introduced to the music of Karrin Allyson, Michael Franks, and Michael Brecker. I really enjoy the music of these 4 artists.

What recent musical discoveries have you made that you really enjoy?
    My wife and I went into Value Village looking for things for our little granddaughter, who is just under 2 years old: books, CDs, DVDs, videos, toys, clothes, etc. Bright little thing: she talks, knows the alphabet, knows the basic numbers, and can read words.

I looked through the CDs which were priced at 99 cents.In the 80's, my dealer used to use some of the Flim & the BB's recordings on DMP for test material. The music is quite nice, and the recordings are excellent, very dynamic. Some of the customers on Amazon think they are great test CDs but I would use others, as well, with thicker music These are the ones I found.

Tricycle
    Big Notes
    Neon
    Tunnel
    Further Adventures

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...and+the+bb%27s

I found some other 99 cent CDs, too, but that's for another time.
    Last edited by Pat D; 05-20-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Davey, I happen to have the very CD from A.B. I got it about a month ago and was playing it last night while typing this thread...lol....It's the only CD I have from his works and I've been wondering if the rest of his music is similar.
    The only other one I have is (I think) the latest, "The Astounding Eyes of Rita", which was my introduction, and then I quickly picked up the earlier one. It's a bit different feel as the musicians and instruments are different, except of course Brahem's oud. It maybe has a more traditional sound, but neither could really be called traditional music. Occasionally I'm reminded of Peter Gabriel's Passion, but this has more jazz at heart. As you know from the earlier one, beautiful recording too.

While often not the case, there are some pretty good reviews at Amazon for these CDs, see below ...

BTW, while I haven't heard anything very recent from her, always liked Cassandra, especially New Moon Daughter. Have that one on a very nice gatefold vinyl that was released around the same time as the CD. Sounds very nice, really wraps around you. I also have a couple Karrin Allyson CDs, but never developed a big love.

55 of 55 people found the following review helpful:
    music of breathtaking beauty..., October 6, 2009 By Larry L. Looney (Austin, Texas USA)
    This is simply incredibly beautiful music. Never mind the genre labels (it's ECM after all) - there are elements of jazz, Arabic music and classical chamber music contained here...but most of all, this is at its heart music from the human soul, and Anouar Brahem's most personal recording in several years...maybe ever. I say `personal' because on this recording you can hear Anouar voicing melodic lines along with his oud playing - not overbearing, not loud, not singing words...but quietly, gently, underscoring the deep source of these pieces. The original music is the voice, after all.

Anouar is accompanied here by three wonderful, sensitive performers - Klaus Gesing (bass clarinet), Björn Meyer (bass, from Nik Bärtsch's Ronin) and Khaled Yassine (darbouka, bender). The four players blend seamlessly into the musical streams that Brahem has composed for this release - they send forth sinuous lines that parallel one moment and intertwine in delicate harmony and counterpoint and rhythm the next. There's not a weak track in the lot - it's one of those discs I know I'll be playing multiple times at each sitting.

Stylistically, the music here falls somewhere between Brahem's last albums (such as the achingly lovely LE PAS DU CHAT NOIR (2002) and THIMAR (1998), with echoes of the more traditionally Arabic music of his early releases tossed into the mix. It's an incredible recording - a good place to start experiencing his work for those who have never heard him, and an essential addition to the collection of those who are already fans.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Pat D, I'll have to look into those you list as well.

One of my favorite artists/recording is Denise Young, Something You Dream Of... I discovered her music while watching music videos on cable television a couple of years ago. I love this CD and here is a professional review of her music that you may have an interest in:

"SOMETHING YOU DREAM OF...” is pianist Denise Young’s second CD.
    Produced by Will Ackerman and recorded at his Imaginary Road Studios,
    Young composed seven new pieces for this project and reworked four from
    her previous release, “Time Alone.” The older pieces were rerecorded on
    a Steinway grand (rather than keyboards) and parts were composed for
    additional musicians. “Something You Dream Of...” has a lot of the same
    personnel as recent recordings by Karen Marie Garrett and Dana
    Cunningham, so if you like the sound of those albums, you’ll love this
    one, too. Eugene Friesen’s haunting cello, Jill Haley’s English horn,
    Steve Schuch’s violin, and Noah Wilding’s ethereal vocals enchant, but
    seem a bit too similar to the other two recent productions from
    Ackerman, inviting comparison. That said, this is a gorgeous album, and
    I love the music. Calming and uplifting, Young seeks to bring joy with
    her music. A music therapist and instructor as well as a pianist and
    songwriter, her playing is graceful and her music heartfelt. With
    Ackerman’s production skills and Corin Nelsen’s recording genius, the
    sound quality is warm and pristine. Only one track is solo piano from
    beginning to end, but this is definitely a piano album with brilliant
    accompanying artists."

"The CD opens with “Time Alone,” a lovely flowing piece that is a piano
    solo for most of the first half and then becomes a haunting and
    introspective duet for piano and English horn. “Falling Leaves” also
    begins as a piano solo that evokes images of colorful leaves dancing in
    the wind. Steve Schuch’s violin enhances the swirling feeling of
    freedom. “Green Mountain Meadows” paints a picture of gentle
    contentment with wildflowers and long grasses swaying in the breeze. Ackerman’s guitar and T Bone Wolk’s bass add a folk song flavor. The
    title track is exceptional. Inspired by “The Benny Goodman Story” and
    Goodman’s passion for his music, it features David Weiss on clarinet.
    The emotions expressed really grab and hold you - a great piece!
    “Livia’s Song” is the only piano solo, and is a beautiful, graceful
    waltz. “You Were Always There” is my favorite. I love piano and cello,
    and Eugene Friesen is a master. This haunting piece could melt rocks
    and makes me say “wow!” every time I hear it. I also really like “Love
    Will Light Your Way,” a more upbeat and optimistic composition for
    piano, percussion, and bass. “West River” is a duet for piano and
    guitar that carries feelings of longing and of open space. “Autumn
    Colors” is the closing track. At almost 9 1/ 2 minutes, it takes its
    time to develop and evolve. Noah Wilding’s incredible voice accompanies
    the piano with floating, wordless vocals. The piano is Satie-like in
    its evocative simplicity, soothing the mind and creating dreamy images."

“Something You Dream Of...” is a wonderful listening experience and
    should put Denise Young high on the charts. RECOMMENDED!
    KATHY PARSONS - SOLO PIANO PUBLICATIONS (Jun 7, 2007)

Forum Regular
    Thanks to the input of you guys...I've gone ahead and placed an order today with CD connection:

1 1316907 CD Anouar Brahem Conte De L'Incroyable Amour
    2 110794 CD Anouar Brahem Voyage De Sahar
    3 1415478 CD Anouar Brahem Quartet Astounding Eyes Of Rita
    4 1042228 CD Lizz Wright Dreaming Wide Awake
    5 823860 CD Lizz Wright Salt
    6 1374517 CD Melody Gardot My One And Only Thrill
    7 1142318 CD Melody Gardot Worrisome Heart
    8 1424120 CD Norah Jones Fall

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

relatively new

trilok gurtu has some very good output and has been on zawinul recordings and vice versa. one standout is "miles/gurtu" which can be bought without trepidation. some of his others may include a mid-eastern female vocalist (his mother) that doesnt always set well with me.

erik truffaz is a trumpeter in the "in a silent way" style that usually has enticing music. in a collaboration, he is on a disc named 'our theory' which is worth hunting for.

medeski, martin, and wood is another safe bet in newer music. quite different for those looking for newer forms of jazz.

osamu (kitajima) on eastquest records (find their sites online) has been around since the late 70s but does what i call japanese fusion. his self titled osamu" disc is one of the best with minnie riperton vocalizing in the stratosphere (5 octave range) and his latest-epitome-is worth seeking.

old favorites include tomita who synthesizes orchestral classical (mostly) but makes it very engaging. his pictures at an exhibition is my favorite version, a quintessential performance.

weather report got my attention starting with heavy weather but a great one is "sportin' life" which contains the cut-confians-which sounds NOTHING like most weather report music. the rest of the album is also highly recommended (by me).
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular
    hey fellas,
    don't forget that special one from Sting recording with the full symphonic orchestra playing some of his old greats such as Englishman in New York, & Roxannne - this is an excelent recording by a highend recording label DG, greatstuff and a bit expensive here in Australia, but well worth the spend!
    cheers and have a good listen!
    RJ

Forum Regular
    Thanks Pat D, I'll have to look into those you list as well.
    Flim & the BB's Tricycle is important as one of the first nonclassical commerical CDs issued. However, I wouldn't say it and their other recordings were very original musically, though they're nice enough and very well played. I found them very cheap and picked them up in great part for nostalgia but also the great early digital sound.

Nostalgia would also account for picking up a Sheffield Lab recording for the sam 99 cents, I Go The Music In Me with Thelma Houson & Pressure Cooker..

I also picked up a couple of Wynton Marsalis CDs:

Joe Cool's Blues, with his father, pianist Ellis Marsalis, with a Peanuts cartoons theme.

Marsalis Standard Time

Others were:

The Romance of Nana Mouskouri

Bach Sonatas, James Galway, flute

Windham Hill Records '94 Sampler

All for 99 cents apiece.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Quote Originally Posted by Raj J View Post
    hey fellas,
    don't forget that special one from Sting recording with the full symphonic orchestra playing some of his old greats such as Englishman in New York, & Roxannne - this is an excelent recording by a highend recording label DG, greatstuff and a bit expensive here in Australia, but well worth the spend!
    cheers and have a good listen!
    RJ
    Sting lost me (as a solo artist fan) about 10 minutes after Dream of the Blue Turtles was released.

But to each his/her own.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Breaking news...

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Sting lost me (as a solo artist fan) about 10 minutes after Dream of the Blue Turtles was released.

But to each his/her own.
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/you...ol-once,10932/
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    Hifitommy,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will have to check out the list of musicians you listed above.

Davey, The Astounding Eyes of Rita, I really enjoy to the same degree as Le pas du chat noir. I also liked Le Voyage de Sahar as well but did not care for Conte de l'incroyable amour ( the magic is missing for me in this particular CD...horns just don't sound like a very compatible instrument for Brahem's style of musc..imo.)

Raj J, you're right on the money regarding Melody Gardot and Lizz Wright. It took me a few listening sessions to appreciate Ms. Wright's lyrics but the beautiful voice and music really won me over. Melody Gardot is so passionately "raw" and I love that newness of her musical expression and awakening. I'm gonna have to share the new music with my buds.

Thanks for all the unput fellas. I'm not through collecting so keep the suggestion forthcoming....

LeRoy

Thread Information