Suspended

Symphony X, Paradise Lost

This is the first Symphony X album to my collection. Some of you may already be into them, I usually am playing catch up around here. I liked this album quite a bit, the core of the music is basically old school Metal in high gear BUT they through in just enough Prog accents, zigs and zags to keep your attention. It's a good album for those longing for the days when Metal/Rock bands could play lead guitar. I thought to myself this would be a good stepping stone album for those who think they might want to venture into Prog or Symph Metal, not enough of either to be a turn off but enough to give you a taste.

Speaking of taste: www.symphonyx.com

Interesting, or not, factoid 3 of the 5 members are named Michael.

Already fans? Feel free to drop a rec of other Symphony X favs.
    Last edited by Mr Peabody; 11-17-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Obviously I missed this when it was posted a few weeks ago, but I'm a huge Symphony X fan. They're my favorite work-out/running music, and super awesome act to see live if you get the chance.
    Yeah PL is a good album. I posted my thoughts awhile back:
    Symphony X - Paradise Lost

You can't go wrong with any of "V: The new Mythology Suite", "Divine Wings of Tragedy" and "The Odyssey" - all different approaches, but great albums. I don't know if I can pick a fav to really recommend first - DWOT sort of put them on the map and most fans started with that one.

I think most of the prog-fans here tend to shy away from the prog-metal stuff, with apologies to 3LB and FA, but there's a few us lurking here. I haven't stumbled across any other Symphony X fans though.

If you like these guys, you may also like Pain of Salvation...who probably have the most intense concept albums ever made, hit or miss.
    A lot of Symphony X fans seem to dig Mastadon too, I don't mind them, wish they had stronger melodies though.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    This is also my first Symphony X album. It was recommended to me by the owner of the indie record store across the street. He's given me some great recs over the last year and this was one of them. It took a while for this to grow on me, but now that it has I really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    This is the first Symphony X album to my collection. Some of you may already be into them, I usually am playing catch up around here. I liked this album quite a bit, the core of the music is basically old school Metal in high gear BUT they through in just enough Prog accents, zigs and zags to keep your attention. It's a good album for those longing for the days when Metal/Rock bands could play lead guitar.

Already fans? Feel free to drop a rec of other Symphony X favs.
    I could have written this.

fp

Suspended
    I missed your post too. You mentioned the digi-pak it is cool but a pain in the rear to get the disc out. I try to keep my stuff looking good so I'm careful not to put bends or folds in the wings. Maybe if I didn't care it would be easier. I really like Prog-Metal. I also like it to have a melody. The one speed tempo thrashing gets annoying or boring very quick. I'll check out those other albums.

If you don't have any already you should check out Tristania. Nightwish's album, Once is good. I've checked a some of their other albums but nothing really grabs me but Once is incredible. Much more on the Symphonic side of the Metal I also like Epica. I don't know if you call these bands Prog. ProgRock Records has several Prog-Metal bands on the label. I bought AtmosFear and they are alright but misses something. I was like a kid waiting on Christmas for the Frameshift album featuring Sebastian Bach but that album missed the mark with me. I forget which label, a band called Gordian Knot is good. The album I have is an instrumental and really is like a Fusion-Metal.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I was like a kid waiting on Christmas for the Frameshift album featuring Sebastian Bach but that album missed the mark with me.
    I could have written that post! I really like the Frameshift album with James LaBrie, but the Bach album just didn't appeal to me either.

If you like Frameshift, you should check out some of Henning Pauly's other projects. I particularly like the stuff that he's released under the band name Chain. Reconstuct is particularly good. I believe that all the Chain CDs are available at Progrock.

Thread Information