• 03-01-2012, 07:57 AM
    Worf101
    What I was playing back in 1973
    For those of you who don't know, Kool and the Gang had a long career before they added the cheezy lead singer and went "Celebrate". Kool, along with Tower of Power, Mandrill, War, early EW&F and other soul/horn bands was what we played back in the day. The New York City school system required that EVERYBODY take some kind of musical training even if it was hiding in the back mumbling with the chorus.

When we hit Junior High and High School we had ALL these horn players hanging around so... we used em!!! The part of the song you need to pay attention to is "Choclate Buttermilk", a simple song, not exactly Stravinsky, but it's rockin' This live version is kickin'

Worf
    Kool & The Gang - Chocolate Buttermilk (Live) - YouTube

• 03-01-2012, 08:13 AM
    Hyfi
    What about the Isley Brothers dude? Wasn't one of them taught or learned from Jimi?
  • 03-01-2012, 07:14 PM
    Swish
    Jimi actually lived with the Isleys...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    What about the Isley Brothers dude? Wasn't one of them taught or learned from Jimi?

...and was on tour with them as a guitarist. I think Ernie Isley was self-taught on guitar, and not by Jimi.
  • 03-02-2012, 03:55 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    ...and was on tour with them as a guitarist. I think Ernie Isley was self-taught on guitar, and not by Jimi.

Thanks for that correction. I knew there was a Jimi story there somewhere.

Ernie was an awesome player too.
  • 03-02-2012, 05:05 AM
    MasterCylinder
    I was too bonged out to remember much of 1973.
    But I remember I was not into those groups...........way too much other classic stuff released that year :

Band on the Run
    Quadrophenia
    Montrose
    Tres Hombres
    Aqualung
    Made in Japan
    Countdown to Ecstasy
    Selling England by the Pound
    Houses of the Holy

(and if that weren't enough)

Dark Side of the Moon

Fire it up, dude !
  • 03-02-2012, 06:42 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
    I was too bonged out to remember much of 1973.
    But I remember I was not into those groups...........way too much other classic stuff released that year :

Band on the Run
    Quadrophenia
    Montrose
    Tres Hombres
    Aqualung
    Made in Japan
    Countdown to Ecstasy
    Selling England by the Pound
    Houses of the Holy

(and if that weren't enough)

Dark Side of the Moon

Fire it up, dude !

Wow. Good memories, good music
  • 03-02-2012, 07:38 AM
    recoveryone
    let me think back:
    Average White Band
    Early Ohio Players (Funky worm)
    Funk Inc (as some have heard the youtube clip I posted a few weeks back)
    Paraliment/Funkadelic (Can you say Star child) Make my funk a P funk
  • 03-02-2012, 01:46 PM
    winston
    thanks for the memories (Worf) I wasn't around that neck of the woods, but the music was in the air very,very strong, and looking at that video, and the size of that ensemble. takes me back to the "sounds of Philadelphia"

yep "Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff" created this monster Ensemble around that time (Mother Father Sister Brother) or as they say, to put it more succinctly (M.F.S.B - T.S.O.P, OR MUTHAFUNKINSONGFAB...H) :yesnod: I'm listening to "love is the message" as we speak,

good mentioned Worf, as I sometimes wonder if I'm the oldest guy in the world, cause no one hardly talk about those Cats

Stay Strong