• 07-15-2008, 10:32 AM
    kexodusc
    What do Bloc Party, Derek Trucks, and Buddy Guy have in common?
    They're all coming to party with Kex in September - woo hoo...(put on exclusively by about 700 volunteers and myself!)
    http://www.harvestjazzandblues.com/index.html
    I live in a small town in New Brunswick, Canada that doesn't have much to offer other than great lifestyle, affordable housing, and a kick ass (non profit) Jazz/Blues Festival once a year. Two years ago it was G.E. Smith stealing the show, last year the Mule and Dr. John classed the joint up, and this year we're getting Bloc Party, The Derek Trucks Band, and the legendary Buddy Guy himself...with dash of Ana Popovic, and the bad-ass Grace Potter. Should be a great weekend...

Oh yeah, and my personal favs from last year, (check out the awesome 9 year old girl drummer!) "Homemade Jamz". The videos on YouTube don't do these kids justice, they were they put on quite the energetic performance...the oldest one I think turns 17 this fall...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjU2B...eature=related
  • 07-15-2008, 10:50 AM
    3-LockBox
    Derek Trucks would be good, if he'd just stand still and not act so frantic and crazy.

;)
  • 07-15-2008, 11:03 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Derek Trucks would be good, if he'd just stand still and not act so frantic and crazy.
    ;)

I can remember a post where someone swore they saw Gerry Garcia move once so he may not be dead yet.

I liked Trucks contribution to Crossroads but do agree, he needs better stage presence.

Anyway KEX, nice score. I have seen Buddy Guy so many times I am half deaf now. Don't be afraid to use some cotton in your ears.

I made a big score a few years ago getting Annie Haslam to perform for a local Winterfest concert.
  • 07-15-2008, 12:29 PM
    Finch Platte
    Quote:

;)

Ha! This is rich. I was gonna post something to the same effect, but probably not as funny.

Yeah, you might want to thing about getting some crank or something so you can watch him w/out falling asleep. The drummer does his best by mugging as much as a human possibly can. :20: <---------- what does that thing mean?

fp
  • 07-15-2008, 03:11 PM
    3-LockBox
    I liked Trucks in the Allman Bros DVD, but then I got Trucks own DVD, and he's kinduva one-note wonder. Good guitarist with someone else's material, but isn't much of a writer yet.

Should still sound cool in person though, and Buddy Guy will smoke. I wonder if Guy and Trucks will do any stuff together?
  • 07-16-2008, 05:50 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

I liked Trucks in the Allman Bros DVD, but then I got Trucks own DVD, and he's kinduva one-note wonder. Good guitarist with someone else's material, but isn't much of a writer yet.

Should still sound cool in person though, and Buddy Guy will smoke. I wonder if Guy and Trucks will do any stuff together?

In the past there's been ad hoc jam shows thrown together mixing and matching performers, but I'm not sure if that's in the cards this year or not.
    Those tend to be miss more than hit with me. Fun I guess, but I tend to prefer it when musicians stick to their own for the most part, unless I've seen them several times over.

I've seen Trucks a few times as I said though, we'll see how far he's come along. I can sympathize with your sentiments about his song writing - that's sorta how I feel about a lot of groups in that weird jammy genre...Dave Matthews, Widespread Panic, etc. I don't spin discs very much but I find myself enjoying the shows more than modern rock acts a la White Stripes, Social Distortion etc. Image can sell records but substance makes a show...