Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

What defines "Christian" rock?

I just watched an interview with Amy Lee of Evanescence on MuchMusic (Canadian version of MTV). It was an interactive interview with VJ and audience. One of the audience members asked a question about Evanescence being a Christian Rock band. Amy responded that they don't consider themselves to be Christian Rock. She went on to say that she is a Christian and, yes, some of their songs reflect that but they do not consider themselves part of the Christian rock scene.

If you read Evanescence's lyrics there are certainly many Christian overtones. When I read the lyrics on their CD I immediately labeled them Christian Rock. Then I read a few articles about them that seemed to confirm that. Yet, they claim not to be a Christian Rock band. So, what defines Christian Rock? Is it the lyrics? Is it where the band plays (religious youth festivals and church basements vs. bars, clubs and arenas)? Is it the record label that the band has signed with?

There seem to be more and more rock bands who fit into this "Christian" genre (POD, Creed). IMO, either way, it's all about the music not the motivation. Just curious how others view this.

Suspended

Wink Good?

Ya gotta be carefull here. I would have to say the heavy use of words like "God, Jesus, Lord, Savior, Cross, ect". If not, then Kansas, Tull, Uriah Heap, ect would be Christian Rock. The catagory for the answer you are looking for would be "Spiritual Rock" where Religion is not the main overtone and being the best person you can be is. Kansas does make a borderline number of references to the Bible.

Nice question. Lets see where JDaniel and 3LockBox and a few others ring in on this one.

Isn't any subject Taboo for you Autumn?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Amy responded that they don't consider themselves to be Christian Rock.
    Yeah, and Radiohead insists they are not a prog band either . . . I think it's all about lyrical content. If there is a "Christian Rock" label (is there one?) then being signed by them is a pretty telling thing as well, but you already must be a Christian band.

HYFI- While members of KKKansas went over in the 80s, Jethro Tull was and still is in no way shape or form a Christian band. In fact, virtually all Anderson's lryical references to god are, negative and sarcastic.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    In fact, virtually all Anderson's lryical references to god are, negative and sarcastic.

Oddly enough the sarcastic lyrics are still Spiritual in an anti-religious way. I find spiritual content in alot of music. Yesterday morning Jason Mraz was on some tv show and played some acoustic tunes. Remedy, which is about dealing with a close friends cancer, is a way cool tune! I don't know the name of the second song he did as they cut away with "Around the clock coverage of a sunny day", but it too had some spiritual content and a reference to god. I don't think he would fit the Christian Rock label either.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I think they are, indeed, "Christian Rock", but they just don't want to admit it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. (Think of it as being gay and in the closet.)
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Probably to really be a "christian rock" band your cd's would be able to be sold in christian stores, and the music is very obvious about god and religion and all as opposed to just beating around the bush.

I guess.

Heck, I dunno. If it sounds good to me I'll listen to it.

Dave

My God

Check this lyric out:

People - what have you done -
    Locked Him in His golden cage.
    Made Him bend to your religion -
    Him resurrected from the grave.
    He is the god of nothing -
    If that's all that you can see.
    You are the god of everything -
    He's inside you and me.
    So lean upon Him gently
    And don't call on Him to save you
    From your social graces
    And the sins you used to waive.
    The bloody Church of England -
    In chains of history -
    Requests your earthly presence at
    The vicarage for tea.
    And the graven image you - know - who -
    With His plastic crucifix -
    He's got him fixed -
    Confuses me as to who and where and why -
    As to how he gets his kicks.
    Confessing to the endless sin -
    The endless whining sounds.
    You'll be praying till next Thursday to
    All the gods that you can count.

Not sure how you can call a band that does this song a "Christian" band.

Christian Rock and labels....

Case you haven't heard, there's Christian Rock, Christian Metal, Religious Rap.... anything you want. Most major lables have Christian Rock subsidiary lables or distribution deals. It's big money and growing all the time. Take any ditty, stick, God or Jesus or Lord in it and voila... you're a Christian Rock artist.

Da Worfster

Here's my take

For me, and it’s only my humble opinion, Christian rock is Rock Music that in some way draws positive attention to “Jesus Christ as the Son of God”. To me, that is where it differs from other spiritual songs. Plenty of music is spiritual in nature, with vague references to heaven, hell, God, the afterlife etc. But for me, Christian Rock in some way acknowledges Jesus Christ. At least that’s my definition of it.

But I generally classify it more broadly as Contemporary Christian music, because it covers more than just the “rock” genre. Contemporary Christian music spans the horizon as far as style of music – rock, pop, reggae, country, alt, etc. Christian Rock in my mind would be bands such as Jars of Clay or Third Day, not bands like Evanescence or Creed (who specifically say they are not Christian Bands). Jars of Clay and Third Day proclaim to be Christian bands.

I have a fairly large collection of Contemporary Christian music (100 or so cds). Christian Rock is like all classifications of music – some I like, a lot of it I don’t (not because of the lyrics, but because of the musicianship & vocals). There are some really talented bands out there though, that many here would probably like, but may never give them a listen because they are labeled “Christian”. Jars of Clay is one such band – very talented group.

JD

AR Newbie Registered Member

Blindside

definately a good christian band...BLINDSIDE. On tour now as well as P.O.D, Lacuna Coil, and Hazen Street. Check them out...

http://buzztone.atlanticrecords.com/pod_ontour/

Thread Information