Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

What a comeback!

Hey Swishy, nice comeback for your Flyers. I'm actually rooting for them to beat the Habs. You may never hear me say this again but,

GO FLYERS!!!

I was going to post something but you beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Hey Swishy, nice comeback for your Flyers. I'm actually rooting for them to beat the Habs. You may never hear me say this again but,

GO FLYERS!!!

Racquetball rules on Saturday morning, so I'm just getting to my PC now.

Yes, the Flyers needed a shoot-out win over the Rangers in the last game of the season to make the playoffs, and nobody, me included, expected them to go this far. They did handle NJ well during the regular season, so that first round win wasn't entirely unexpected. But being down 3 games to 0 to the Bruins and coming back to tie the series, then being down 3-0 in the first period and scoring the next 4 to win the game and the series? Unbelievable.

Now they have home ice advantage against the # 8 seed who pulled off the biggest upsets over Washington and Pittsburgh (thank you for that!), so both teams are 'fairy tale' fodder for sure. With the Flyers missing their top scorer and # 1 goalie, I'm not sure they have the juice to keep this going, but why should I doubt them.

GO FLYERS
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    what the hell is a Hab?
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    what the hell is a Hab?
    LOL!

The Habs is a nickname for the Montreal Canadiens. Short for Les Habitants who were the first settlers in Quebec (or New France as it was apparently called back in the 17th century).

I don't know how or when the Canadiens became The Habs. But in Canada, the team is more often refered to as The Habs than The Canadiens. And the fans are not Canadien fans or Montreal fans...they are Habs fans.

How's that for total domination?

6-0 in game one? Are you kidding me? The Flyers looked like they would have beaten anybody today, but it's only the first game so I'm not going to gloat....yet. Still, 6-0? Halak's GAA just shot up like a rocket, but I'm figuring he'll be a bit sharper the next game. Leighton? Over 100 minutes without giving up a goal. Unbelievable.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Suspended
    LOL!

The Habs is a nickname for the Montreal Canadiens. Short for Les Habitants who were the first settlers in Quebec (or New France as it was apparently called back in the 17th century).

I don't know how or when the Canadiens became The Habs. But in Canada, the team is more often refered to as The Habs than The Canadiens. And the fans are not Canadien fans or Montreal fans...they are Habs fans.

Is that the Habs or the Hab-Nots?

Last night, they Hab nothing to bring!

What A Comeback...

Thought you were talking about the Seattle Bandits snatching victory from the Toronto Rock. What an exciting game Saturday night, but after keeping Seattle from scoring for 20 minutes, the Rock got crushed in the final ten minutes.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    say Barry,

uuhhh...what?
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    Thought you were talking about the Seattle Bandits snatching victory from the Toronto Rock. What an exciting game Saturday night, but after keeping Seattle from scoring for 20 minutes, the Rock got crushed in the final ten minutes.
    LOL. I think you mean the Washington Stealth, not the Seattle Bandits. You're getting confused with the game that we went to where The Rock played the Buffalo Bandits. But you're right that it was a great game. And we still took the division title so a banner will be unfurled at the opening game in 2011.

3LB...you're not much of a sports guy, are you?

Lacrosse? Really Barry?

I was surprised to learn that it's the national sport of Canada, but I have a hard time figuring out why. I actually thought it was curling, then maybe ice hockey, but never lacrosse!

How about those Hershey Bears?! Up two games to none in their Calder Cup semis on the way to a second straight cup and 10th in history. My only reservation is that they are now the AAA club for the Washington Capitals and not the Flyers, although that changed back in 1996. Oh well, they are still my 'local' team so I salute them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I was surprised to learn that it's the national sport of Canada, but I have a hard time figuring out why.
    During the game they were advertising Lacrosse as Canada's national SUMMER sport, so I suspect it's not officially our national sport. Canadians like to think of beer drinking as the national sport, but I suppose hockey comes a close second. Being polite is third, and curling fourth. Mosquito hunting is fifth, just behind complaining about Americans (6th) and putting maple syrup on pancakes and/or waffles (7th). Eighth is fishing. Ninth is songwriting. Tenth is soccer.

I played lacrosse at school, but never league play. Throwing the lacrosse ball back and forth is a lot of fun. FA and her hubby have lacrosse sticks. You should see them use them when they go shopping!

Actually that is my # 1 sport.

During the game they were advertising Lacrosse as Canada's national SUMMER sport, so I suspect it's not officially our national sport. Canadians like to think of beer drinking as the national sport, but I suppose hockey comes a close second. Being polite is third, and curling fourth. Mosquito hunting is fifth, just behind complaining about Americans (6th) and putting maple syrup on pancakes and/or waffles (7th). Eighth is fishing. Ninth is songwriting. Tenth is soccer.

I played lacrosse at school, but never league play. Throwing the lacrosse ball back and forth is a lot of fun. FA and her hubby have lacrosse sticks. You should see them use them when they go shopping!
    ...I mean complaining about Americans, but only certain ones, if you catch my drift. Beer drinking may be in a virtual tie, but I'll never admit to it. Shopping with lacrosse sticks? Perhaps I will have to experience that in person. Perhaps sometime in June?

...I mean complaining about Americans, but only certain ones, if you catch my drift. Beer drinking may be in a virtual tie, but I'll never admit to it. Shopping with lacrosse sticks? Perhaps I will have to experience that in person. Perhaps sometime in June?
    Bring elbow and shin pads. You'll need them.

So, I was taught in grade school that Lacrosse was Canada's National Sport. But I just learned this from Wikipedia, In 1994 Canada declared lacrosse its National Summer Sport with the passage of the National Sports Act (Bill C-212). I didn't know that we had a National Sports Act. A little further digging revealed that Hockey is our National Winter Sport...no big surprise there.

Lacrosse being the national sport (up until 1994 evidently) has to do with our First Nations heritage and the sport being invented by Canada's native people.

One more little lesson for you. The version of Lacrosse that is our National Summer Sport is Field Lacrosse, which is played outdoors. The sport that the National Lacrosse League plays (and the Toronto Rock and Washington Stealth played on Saturday) is Box Lacrosse. It's a modification of Field Lacrosse that can be played indoors, in hockey arena's so that we can play in the winter.

I am a wealth of Lacrosse information. Is there anything else that you would like to know???
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 05-17-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Musical Lacrosse trivia I want to know....

I am a wealth of Lacrosse information. Is there anything else that you would like to know???
    Where is the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame?

What happened to my old whale guts lacrosse stick, made by what was know then as Indians. (No more Indians, no more Indian-made whale-gut lacrosse sticks).

What were those old lacrosse sticks that were made in Cornwall, Ontario, made of? We used to put our heel into them to stretch the pocket. Frankly, I find that the string one's lack a strong manly appeal.

I want answers! !

Just what we need from our politicians.

I just learned this from Wikipedia, In 1994 Canada declared lacrosse its National Summer Sport with the passage of the National Sports Act (Bill C-212). I didn't know that we had a National Sports Act.
    Here in Pennsylvania, we have the largest and most expensive legislature in the US, despite being only 6th in population. What do all those legislators do? They come up with wonderful ideas like naming the Philly Cheese-steak the 'official sandwich of PA. Yep, I'm not kidding about that. Rep. Bernie O'Neill introduced it, getting the idea from 3rd graders. I hope he gets reelected because we need guys like this in our legislature introducing important legislation like this. Yes sir we do.

Where is the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame?
    New Westminster, B.C.

What happened to my old whale guts lacrosse stick, made by what was know then as Indians. (No more Indians, no more Indian-made whale-gut lacrosse sticks).
    Talk to your brother or your mother. If I had it, it would be hanging in my home office. I believe your brother has an old stick that he claims is his, but you could probably convince him that it's yours.

What were those old lacrosse sticks that were made in Cornwall, Ontario, made of? We used to put our heel into them to stretch the pocket. Frankly, I find that the string one's lack a strong manly appeal.
    I know how important manly appeal is to you but I believe that you mean Cornwall Island, Ontario. The sticks are made from Hickory trees. The pockets are made from possums.

I want answers! !
    And now you have them. (well, except for the possum thing. I made that one up)
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 05-17-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Another shutout of the Habs and it's starting to look....

...like the Flyers may be going to the big dance. I still find it hard to believe that the 7th and 8th seeds are playing in the Eastern semi. How sweet it is!

Don't get too cocky it's not over yet. But I was happy to see the Flyers win.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quite the run by the Flyers - we're seeing that they were really a much better team all year than their injury problems allowed them to prove. And how important getting the right sylistic matchups is in the first two rounds for both those teams.

Kexo's going to be in Chicago for games 1 and 2 of the Cup finals if things work out - anyone else around?

I'm not counting my chickens, but...

Don't get too cocky it's not over yet. But I was happy to see the Flyers win.
    ...Montreal needs to win 4 of the last 5, and I just don't see that happening. Being shut out two in a row and having your alleged impenetrable goal tender clobbered for 7 in 2 games (the back-up allowed 2 in game1) and his GAA skyrocket doesn't bode well. Yet, the Flyers overcame supposed insurmountable odds to knock off Boston, so I won't count out the Habs yet, but if you care to make a wager...

I bet that I can tell you the score before anyone even starts skating.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

...Montreal needs to win 4 of the last 5, and I just don't see that happening. Being shut out two in a row and having your alleged impenetrable goal tender clobbered for 7 in 2 games (the back-up allowed 2 in game1) and his GAA skyrocket doesn't bode well. Yet, the Flyers overcame supposed insurmountable odds to knock off Boston, so I won't count out the Habs yet, but if you care to make a wager...
    We'd be wagering on the same team you goof! I'd like nothing more than to see the Flyers embarrass the Habs. How about two more shut-outs and the Flyers take the series in four?

This has less to do with the actual teams than to shut up a few friends who are self-righteous Habs fans. As a long-time Leafs fan...yes, I'm bitter.

That's older than Moses's toes and twice as corny.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I bet that I can tell you the score before anyone even starts skating.
    0-0. Duh! You really need to get back to work G man. Right now I mean.

Suspended
    Can we start a petition so Montreal officially changes their name from Canadians to Habs?

Or do we just shoot the stupid announcers who perpetuate this nickname?

0-0. Duh! You really need to get back to work G man. Right now I mean.
    Sure it's old.
    Sure it's corny.
    That's the fun of it.
    Meetings begin at 11:30 today. Wish me luck.

And just so I'm still slightly on toppic. Go team!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information