Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What albums do I need to add to my collection?

C'mon, you know you've got suggestions.

Gawd, I'm bored. Just waiting for my friends to get off work.

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Anything by Rush....

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Young Fresh Fellows: The Fabulous Sounds of the Pacific Northwest & Topsy Turvy ? (circa 1985ish)

Sample linky in ALE
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Anything by Rush....
    Ditto, or Yes, or PF.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    The entire Nana Mouskouri catalogue.

1964 Favorite German Christmas Songs Polydor
    1969 Nana Mouskouri Sings Over & Over Polygram
    1970 Song for Liberty Mercury
    1971 Turn on the Sun Verve
    1979 Roses & Sunshine Verve
    1984 Nana [1984] Mercury
    1984 La Dame De Coeur Mercury
    1984 Nana Mouskouri Polydor
    1985 Ma Verite Polydor
    1986 Alone Polydor
    1986 Tu M'Oublies Polydor
    1986 Why Worry Polydor
    1987 Nana [1987] Verve
    1987 Par Amour Verve
    1988 The Magic of Nana Mouskouri Philips
    1988 Tierra Viva Mercury
    1988 Je Chante Avec Toi Liberte Mercury
    1989 Noel Polydor
    1989 German Christmas Songs PolyGram
    1989 Konzert der Gefuehle [live] Universal/Polygram
    1990 Oh Happy Day Philips
    1990 The Classical Nana Philips
    1991 Libertad PolyGram
    1992 Adieu Angelina Alex
    1993 Falling in Love Again: Great Songs from the ... PolyGram
    1993 Nuestras Canciones Philips
    1994 Concierto En Aranjuez Philips
    1994 Nuestras Canciones, Vol. 2 Philips
    1995 Dix Mille Ans Encore Musicrama
    1995 Recuerdos, Vol. 1 PolyGram Latino
    1995 Recuerdos, Vol. 2 PolyGram Latino
    1996 Nana Latina Polygram
    1997 Return to Love Polygram
    1997 Christmas with Nana Mouskouri Polygram International
    1998 Hommages Polygram International
    1998 Alles Liebe Philips
    1998 At the Albert Hall [live] Polygram Italy
    1998 Athina Mercury
    1998 Ballades Polygram Canada
    1998 Cote Sud Cote Coeur Philips
    1998 Du Und Ich Mercury
    1998 Hollywood Polygram International
    1998 Lider die Liebe Schrei Polygram Germany
    1998 Nana's Book of Songs Mercury
    1998 Concert for Peace [live] Polygram
    2000 Nana Mouskouri in New York Philips
    2002 Un Bolero por Favor Mercury
    2002 Fille du Soleil Mercury
    2003 Ode to Joy Universal
    2003 Nana Swings Universal International
    2003 Christmas Album Philips
    2004 Nana un Canadien Errant Universal
    2004 Boleros Canciones Recuerdos Universal International
    2004 Live at Herod Atticus Universal International
    2006 I'll Remember You Classics
    2006 Moni Perpato Mercury
    2007 Chants de Mon Pays Universal
    2007 Gloria Eterna Universal
    2007 I Endekati Entoli Universal
    2007 No. 1 Universal
    2007 Oi Mythoi Mias Gynaikas Universal
    2007 Resital 70 Universal
    2007 Taxidiotis Universal
    2007 Tragouda Hatzidaki No. 2 Universal
    2007 Tragouda Hatzidaki Universal
    2007 Solo Boleros Universal Latino

The new White Stripes on vinyl is fantastic sonically and musically.

Also, I've been wanting that Sundazed reissue of Link Wray's Jack the Ripper album, so you could just but that and then send it to me.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=NANA|MASKOURI&sql=11:hifexqw5ldhe~T2
    And I thought I was being facetious

I suggest you try anything from...

...Spoon or the Decemberists.

You can thank me later.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Bob Log III.

Here's the video for Clap Your Tits.

NSFW.

You're welcome.

Thanks for posting on Nana. I'm missing that one she did in 1990, Oh Happy Day. Hope I can still get it.

Estradasphere- Palace of Mirrors

All instrumental Klezmer metal with touches of spaghetti western and 60s and 70s lounge from ex-members of Mr. Bungle.

Album of the year for me so far, but I'm weird that way.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    The new White Stripes on vinyl is fantastic sonically
    You must have good drugs
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    and musically.
    Best album they've done since White Blood Cells. "Catch Hell Blues" is great in spite of being a total "In My Time Of Dying" rip off.
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Anything by Rush...
    Silly me, I assumed it wasn't necessary to point out I'm not into anything that sucks ass
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Estradasphere- Palace of Mirrors

All instrumental Klezmer metal with touches of spaghetti western and 60s and 70s lounge from ex-members of Mr. Bungle.
    Sounds interesting and worthy of investigation. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    sample linky in ALE
    Cool, I'll check it out once that other ALE starts wearing away

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...Spoon or the Decemberists.
    Kill The Crane Wife?

Suspended
    Do you have any Gordian Knot or Ozric Tentacles? Some one hear mentioned Ozric in a post way back, I checked them out and they are one of the coolest things I've found in a long time. Try Spirals in Hyperspace.

I also really got into the Norwegian Metal with my favs being Tristania and Nightwish

I really enjoyed the discovery of Blackmore Night, if you aren't already into them, you might try their DVD, Castles and Dreams, it's very good. Candace is easy on the eyes and it's entertaining to watch Ritchie at work on the stringed instruments.

If you also enjoy an acoustic type sound occasionally Patty Griffin or Mindy Smith

I recently picked up an album by Gigi who is an Ethiopian artist, I guess they label this as World music. I thought it was pretty good. Interesting rythyms and instruments, some of the songs include some horns. The vocal style may be hard to get used to.

I bought my first mp3 player and have been building my library. It's fun to go back to those old albums you haven't had out in awhile like Gary Moore or Driving & Crying or WASP. I ended up with a pretty good representation of 80's hard rock from back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Do you have any Gordian Knot or Ozric Tentacles? Someone here mentioned Ozric in a post way back, I checked them out and they are one of the coolest things I've found in a long time. Try Spirals in Hyperspace.
    I have (a burned copy) of Strangeitude lying around here somewhere.

For some reason I've been on an alt-country trip lately athough I did break out Slayer's South Of Heaven yesterday once the alcohol started kicking in. Funny how that works

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Young Fresh Fellows: The Fabulous Sounds of the Pacific Northwest & Topsy Turvy ? (circa 1985ish)

Sample linky in ALE
    That's not bad. Kind of a Violent Femmes meets The Vibrators sound. Me likey.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Bob Log III.

Here's the video for Clap Your Tits.

NSFW.

You're welcome.
    I think I saw that on a christian music video show once.

Let us know what you do get.

And, the Bob Log III is fun. I keep meaning to pick up a copy of Log Bomb. See him live if you get the chance and when you go, have a glass of Boob Scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    For some reason I've been on an alt-country trip lately athough I did break out Slayer's South Of Heaven yesterday once the alcohol started kicking in. Funny how that works
    Have you heard Kathleen Edwards or Ray LaMontagne? You might enjoy either or both of them.

Luke Doucet is someone that you should definately check out as well.

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    My obsession lately has been with Morphine. Especially that great second disc from about 1993 on Rykodisc. Pretty big seller at the time I think, at least for an indie. You just don't hear this kind of sax-fueled, bluesy rock very often. Very unique, without the normal sound of guitars crunching all over the place. And Sandman's great voice. Really makes it almost sound like a jazz trio when it gets down and skronky, but definitely rocks. From AMG ...

Review by Greg Prato

With their cult following growing, Morphine expanded their audience even further with their exceptional 1994 sophomore effort, Cure for Pain. Whereas their debut, Good, was intriguing yet not entirely consistent, Cure for Pain more than delivered. The songwriting was stronger and more succinct this time around, while new drummer Billy Conway made his recording debut with the trio (replacing Jerome Deupree). Like the debut, most of the material shifts between depressed and upbeat, with a few cacophonic rockers thrown in between. Such selections as "Buena," "I'm Free Now," "All Wrong," "Candy," "Thursday," "In Spite of Me" (one of the few tracks to contain six-string guitar), "Let's Take a Trip Together," "Sheila," and the title track are all certifiable Morphine classics. And again, Mark Sandman's two-string slide bass and Dana Colley's sax work help create impressive atmospherics throughout the album. Cure for Pain was unquestionably one of the best and most cutting-edge rock releases of the '90s.

Picked up a bunch of odds and ends lately that I've wanted for awhile ...

Richard Buckner: Meadow (love this guy, all the way back to the Bloomed debut. Nice band on this one, and always great songs and voice, no radical departure, just classy, folksy, country music)

Richmond Fontaine: Thirteen cities (ditto above, had a Swish Daddy demo for awhile now, but got the real deal from his deepdiscount hangout, those dusty story-based songs of singer Willy Vlautin always take me away. Recorded in Arizona with members of Calexico, the americana.uk site gave it a way over the top 10/10 ... "We live in a world of hyperbole and exaggeration which is a pity because when this album is called a masterpiece, such words lose some of their effect. But a masterpiece it is – daring, adventurous, literate, and consummate.")

Electrelane: No Shouts No Calls (love these Brighton ladies, especially with Steve Albini at the recording console, but on this one they stayed in Europe and Albini stayed in Chicago, but no complaints here. Some of the VU and Krautrock and Feelies influence falls away for some great pop sounds, and again, no complaints. Great record, by one of the best rock bands making music right now.)

The National: Boxer (what can you say when a band hits all the right spots, and does it with such class and flair? Immediately understated, but highly rewarding in the end. Keeps alive what I've always loved about the Joy Division meets Leonard Cohen vibe I rediscovered in those first couple Tindersticks records, and Sixteen Horsepower, and other favorites.)

Andrew Bird: Armchair Apocrypha (had a freebie for quite awhile now, from an Autumn place, and easily became one of my favorites of the year, so had to get the real one - Andrew Bird is one of the most special songwriters I know of today, and this is one of his best)

Steve Reich: Music for 18 Musicians (only heard, but never had a copy, until now. Classic stuff. This is the longer Nonsuch reissue from the late 90s. Easy 10 out of 10 on any of today's rating scales. Mind shifting, yet accessible avant garde post rock music - but from the 70s. Not like Pink Floyd psychedelia - think more like Tortoise, and Rachel's, very repetitive, but that's the beauty, kind of like some of the modern day electronica trance composers in that regard, but with all "real" sounds)

Fridge: Happiness (right up there with that great Manitoba "Up In Flames", and Hood "Cold House", and Notwist "Neon Golden", but this post rock is instrumental like Mogwai, although not like Mogwai.)

Rex: C (all things revolving around Red Red Meat and Califone and that whole Chicago family of bands will ultimately be mine. Call it a disease, but it makes me happy )

Morphine: Cure for Pain (all things revolving around Sixteen Horsepower and Woven Hand and that whole family of Denver areas bands will ultimately be mine. Call it a disease, but it makes me happy )

Cat Power: The Greatest (skipped at the time last year, cause Moon Pix will always be my favorite, and I do kind of miss the wreckage, but I do still love Chan, and that voice works great in this setting too, even if not like it does on You Are Free or Moon Pix)

Palace: Viva Last Blues (Will Oldham is a long time favorite, picked up this on vinyl way back in the mid 90s, and it's still probably my favorite, another great Albini recording, but the turntable has been in mothballs for awhile due to moves, and I really needed to hear it again, and only $5.99 for the CD of a truly understated classic of the 90s - no brain needed for this buy, gawd, I might be able to listen to Will's creaky old ramblings all day long)
    Last edited by Monkey Bones; 06-23-2007 at 08:05 AM.

Said he's BORED

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

Nana Mouskouri ??? ...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Here's a few that have treated me right over the last week:

The National~Boxer
    Tom Waits~Mule Variations What is he building in there?
    and
    Name:  3161594_luaka_200.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  14.4 KB

World Psychedelic Classics #3 on David Byrne's Luaka Pop label

If you're feeling very metal, or at least kinda sullen and etchy metal you might want to try planesmistakenforstars.

I picked up a nice copy of von Karajan/BPO's Mozart'sSymphonies #38 & #39 on Deutsche Grammophon if your so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    :Said he's BORED Yawn: Nana Mouskouri ??? ...
    So maybe some polka music would have been a better suggestion?

http://www.polkacide.com/sounds.html

Forum Regular
    perhaps it's time to revisit your inner HENDRIX,

as I have done lately...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information