What about Eleventh Dream Day?

This is one of my favorite Rave Recs discoveries. I have Stalled Parade and Eighth and would like to get some help in picking my next EDD album. Have I missed an obvious "must-have-EDD-album"? Is their best album not one of the two I already have? Or, should I stop here, because the rest is obviously inferior?

Thanks for the help.

Mark
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    This is one of my favorite Rave Recs discoveries. I have Stalled Parade and Eighth and would like to get some help in picking my next EDD album. Have I missed an obvious "must-have-EDD-album"? Is their best album not one of the two I already have? Or, should I stop here, because the rest is obviously inferior?

Thanks for the help.

Mark
    LIVED TO TELL is a good one. 1991 I believe. I haven't heard their newer stuff so I don't really know how to compare it. They're definately in the Buffalo Tom/Dinosaur Jr. vein of things.. Noisy guitar rock with a definate country edge. People forget (or don't even realize) that there were a lot of very good "alt-country" bands way back before they even coined the term, though they're not limited to that sound at all.. it does inform their music. I also have BEET, the previous album, though I haven't listened to it in a few years..

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Yeah, I only have those two myself and love them both, but like you would like to get another sometime. Don't know if you recall, but I did post a link last year to a nice Eleventh Dream Day retrospective that appeared in Delusions of Adequacy. I guess Thrill Jockey reissued their first "proper" album from 1988, Prairie School Freakout, at the end of last year in a new expanded edition. Might be the one to check out next? I tend to think that the two we have are their best after the reading I've done, and it seems Rick Rizzo and maybe Doug McCombs believe that too from their quotes in the retrospective. But let me know if you get another one

http://www.adequacy.net/reviews/uam/uam-sept03.shtml

They're one of my favorite bands. Rick Rizzo is definitely one my favorite guitar players. He's just so cool with those Neil Young freakouts. And Janet Beveridge Bean is great as well. They're such a great band, but the principles still have to have day jobs. Rick Rizzo is a school teacher and Janet Bean is filing clerk at a law firm.

Anyway, I think their entire catalog is worth owning. I'd recommend El Moodio next. Lived to Tell is also right up there. Prairie School Freakout is great as well. It's their rawest, rockinest effort and on some days it's my favorite.

John

John

Thread Information