Week 50: 50 Albums That Changed Music

I'm posting a little early this week as I'm heading out 'o town for the week and won't have time to get this done tomorrow, so here goes. Has it really been 50 weeks since I started posting this list? Gee, time flies when you're having fun. Anyway, some of the selections resulted in heavy arguments/debates, although most of them barely caused a whimper. While I'm glad I decided to do this little project, I'm also glad it's over, although I won't hesitate to do something similar down the road if the right situation presents itself. It sure won't be another list from the Guardian though. With further adieu, the final selection is LFO - Frequencies (1991).

Acid house was sniffed at as a fad until it started producing 'proper' albums. Frequencies was its first masterpiece. Updating the pristine blueprint of Kraftwerk with house, acid, ambient and hip hop, it made dance music legitimate to album-buyers. Without this...no success for Orbital, Underworld, Leftfield, Chemical Brothers or Aphex Twin.

Once again I have no comment as I don't have any knowledge of this genre, although I have heard a little from Chemical Brothers and Aphex Twin. It's just not my bag, but I'm sure a few of our RR whack jobs will have something to add.

G Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Never heard of LFO. Why didn't they just say Kraftwerk? Oh wait, they did say it- Without Kraftwerk, no LFO.

Is Kraftwerk even on this list? If it is, this pick smells of someone desperate for their 50th pick.

This list has been far too Brit-centric, but it has been provocative.

50 weeks, your perseverance is amazing. Thanks for doing it.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Yeah, didn't like the vast majority of pics, but I really appreciated the discussions and the effort you made, Swish...lots of great opinions to read every week.

Kinda hopin' ya got another list in mind....

Kraftwerk's Trans-Europe Express was # 3...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Never heard of LFO. Why didn't they just say Kraftwerk? Oh wait, they did say it- Without Kraftwerk, no LFO.

Is Kraftwerk even on this list? If it is, this pick smells of someone desperate for their 50th pick.

This list has been far too Brit-centric, but it has been provocative.

50 weeks, your perseverance is amazing. Thanks for doing it.
    ...and while there were plenty of British bands on the list, I counted at least 29 that were from the US, and a few others were from other European countries. The worst I could say is that some of the British choices were a stretch at best, and others should not have appeared, although I could say the same for some of the Americans as well.

And you're welcome for doing this series. I'm not sure if it was perseverance or stupidity for promising to do it in the first place. Must have been tipsy.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Tipsy!

BFD.

LOF?

who?

I don't like others.

Thanks for all the effort you've put into this. 50 weeks of posting on a consistant basis when you knew that interest would wane shows a lot of fortitude. Thanks, and if you have any other similar ideas, I'm in.

edit: It's too bad they ended this list on such a lame note. Just pure laziness. Buncha hacks they are...

We should add our own entries...not an entire list of 50 albums, but just one album that was left off that we feel has merit for such a list. I'm gonna mull this one over and post one tomorrow. I just hate to see what has been an entertaining thread series go out with a whimper.
    Last edited by 3-LockBox; 06-24-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Mutant from table 9
    I enjoyed the list and the fact that it was somewhat unusual and wrongheaded in its choices.

How fitting that they would get the last entry so wrong though after such dispute about the list. I know alot of people here aren't fans of this genre, but I was for a long time. Whithout this no Underword?!?! Underword is still one of my favorite bands (if you can call them that) and guess what?!? Founding member Karl Hyde gave his list of "Top 20" albums to The Guardian in 1997, and LFO does not appear on it!

Hyde's "Top 20 Albums", as per the Guardian of Friday, 19 Sep 1997:
    The Isley Brothers - 3 Plus 3
    Miles Davis - *****es Brew
    The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation
    Kraftwerk - Computer World
    Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
    Ella Fitzgerald - The Cole Porter Songbook
    Black Uhuru - Red
    The Groundhogs - Split
    Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Greats
    Arvo Part - Tabula Rasa
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
    The Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
    Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band - Strictly Personal
    Goldie - Timeless
    Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Deja Vu
    The Beatles - Revolver
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works
    Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
    Sly and the Family Stone - Fresh

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Forum Regular
    I never heard of them either, so what did they change again? music? can we blame them for RAP?.
    lol

I like a lot of what it says this influenced but have never listened to it. Maybe I outtta.

Thread Information