Week 24: 50 Albums That Changed Music

This week's selection is another that I'm not familiar with, although the name is familiar to me at least. Youssou N'Dour - Immigres (1984)

The charismatic N'Dour, Senegal's top star, changed the West's perceptions of African musicians, just as he had revolutionised Sengalese music. Nothing sounded like the fusion on Immigres, with its lopsided rhythms, whooping toaking drums and discordant horns, topped by N'Dour's supple, powerful vocals. Immigres also redefined the role of West Aftrican griot, addressing migration and African identity. Without this...N'Dour wouldn't have met Peter Gabriel, there'd be no African presence at Live 8. In fact, 'world music' would not exist as a section in Western collections.

No world music section? Because of one guy? How can that be? Was he really the first to meet up with the West? I know he came a couple years before the Paul Simon / Ladysmith Black Mambazo collaberation, but surely there were others before that. What about Ravi Shankar? He was around in the 60s and would be considered World Music, correct?

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I'm not sure I have that particular album by Youssou N'Dour, but I like him and his music. I've even seen him live (opened for Peter Gabriel). It was a great show.

Not sure how influential the album is, though. What about Dead Can Dance? They were 80's, and incorporated a variety of influence -- world, classical, even ancient.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I don't know this rec.

N'Dour before Fela Kuti makes no sense, I don't remember if they list a Fela album, but then maybe there isn't one specific album that fits the intent of the list. The guy was making like 3 albums a year, but it seems like some of the praise they're excreting here is misplaced.

But then I don't know how popular Fela ever became in the UK. I suspect his collaboration with Ginger Baker might've well been more popular in the U.S.

Any way you slice it, the remark about Western collections not necessarily including 'world' titles if not for this particular rec is the wrongest thing I've seen from this list to this point.

I don't like others.

hhhmmm....nope...got nothin'

I've steered clear of these pretty much, but this one is- huh? Call it any name you want, but listen to Jade Warrior's Floating World from 1974 or so (or any of the other JW albums from the Island years), and "World Music" was happening, without the label, certainly, but it was happening.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    ou slice it, the remark about Western collections not necessarily including 'world' titles if not for this particular rec is the wrongest thing I've seen from this list to this point.
    Agreed, and this, from a list jam-packed with wrong things.

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Call it any name you want, but listen to Jade Warrior's Floating World from 1974 or so...
    Or Osibisa's first album from 1972. They were fairly popular in the U.K., based in London and played West African "high life".

"Without this...N'Dour wouldn't have met Peter Gabriel."

So what? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Gabriel had been experimenting with African music for at least 4 years at that point. His first WOMAD festival was in 1982. The album he did that year was specifically cited by Paul Simon as the inspiration for Graceland which introduced Ladysmith Black Mambazo to western audiences.

No Immigres and you still get world music in western record collections.

Osibisa? Of course! How could I forget that one.

Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    Or Osibisa's first album from 1972. They were fairly popular in the U.K., based in London and played West African "high life".
    My older brother had that album and I loved it, and that would be the correct year. I have a comp from YECH that includes two songs from that record and it just cracked me up to no end to hear them again. Brought back a lot of memories....

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    My older brother had that album and I loved it, and that would be the correct year.
    Well, I was close but no cigar. Osibisa's debut and their follow up, Woyaya, were both released in 1971. There's a 2-in-1 remastered cd from 2004 on the BGO label in the UK. Great liner notes, too. But they screwed up the killer artwork from Roger Dean so I made my own foldout cover that shows the front of both albums and stuck it in the case for groovy display purposes. That's back when Dean used to actually draw things for a living.

Well, what I should have said was...

[QUOTE=BradH]Well, I was close but no cigar. Osibisa's debut and their follow up, Woyaya, were both released in 1971. QUOTE]

...that it was available in 1972 because I knew I was listening to it then. My brother was 4 years older than me and was still a Sr. in high school when he had that particular album, meaning I was listening to it that year for sure. Could be he had it in 1971 though. Thanks for checking it out though.

Swish Baby

Thread Information