Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Week 2 - best live records of all time.

Well, I can't say that I would agree or disagree with this one since I've never heard it, and I would bet that very few of you have either.

The Homecoming Concert--Tim Hardin: Hardin died soon after this concert. But before he went, he showed up in Eugene, Oregon at the Community Center for the Performing Arts, where between bingo games he performed the songs contained on this fine album. What is the sound of one man collapsing? Why, this very document.

I can't even remember the last time I heard anything by this guy, who died in 1980 at the age of 39. He had a couple of hits, including 'If I Were a Carpenter" and "Reason to Believe", the latter covered by Rod Stewart. Anyway, I find it surprising that this would be on a top 25 list.

You?

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I haven't heard this either, although I do have a live album (Tim Hardin 3) by him which is good. Another song he wrote and recorded that some around here may know is "Black Sheep Boy."
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

42 Regular
    What is the sound of one man collapsing?

I can't wait to read what they have to say about Nirvana's Unplugged in New York.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Not only have I never heard this one. I've never heard of Tim Hardin. Should I know who he is?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Ditto with FA...never heard of this guy. That must be one helluva live album!

Old before your time

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Not only have I never heard this one. I've never heard of Tim Hardin. Should I know who he is?
    That is, maybe you'd have to be to remember Hardin, a slightly pathetic folky and Woodstock performer who died of heroin overdose in 1980. I was into folk for short while in the early '70s though I never owned any Hardin albums. Reason to Believe was my personal (and pretty much only) favourite Hardin song.

See Allmusic and Wikipedia references.

I'm not a connoisseur of live recordings, but I have the feeling they are comprised of usually inferior of performances of songs vs. the studio recordings. I suppose the live ambience might appeal to frequent concert goers. But recently for example, I listen to Bob Dylan & The Band's Before the Flood album. That sucked big time IMO: The Band wasn't bad but Dylan was really hamming it up which didn't do justice to what were otherwise some of his best songs.
    Last edited by Feanor; 08-25-2008 at 11:04 AM.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I'm not a connoisseur of live recordings, but I have the feeling they are comprised of usually inferior of performances of songs vs. the studio recordings.
    I generally agree with this assessment, at least 90% of the time.

But some of the rare discs that transcend the "live album" genre are worth their weight in gold. Case in point: Wilco's Kicking Television: Live in Chicago two-disc set. A great live recording that actually deepens your appreciation of the songs beyond the well-known studio versions. I wonder if it makes this list. Hope it does.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I think I'm going to hate this list . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    I think I'm going to hate this list . . .
    I think I'm going to like this list...

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    ditto

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    ditto
    Feanor explained it about 8 hours ago, as of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Feanor explained it about 8 hours ago, as of your post.
    Doesn't change the fact I never heard of him before this thread. I've heard of the songs Reason To Believe, which I like, and If I Were A Carpenter, which I can't stand. But that's no reason to go, "Oh yeah...that guy."

I've never heard his stuff that I know of, though I've probably heard one or two of his most popular songs. But I knew of him, I played in a band for awhile with a guy who counted Tim Hardin amongst his heroes--he was a Dylan freak, but he also dug Springsteen, Leonard Cohen, Gordon Lightfoot, Tim Buckley, Phil Ochs, and a couple of others in that realm. So, I try not to judge what the guy sounds like merely based on that, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest I have an idea. Regardless, it's an odd choice, but so far an interesting list.

Even though I don't like sugar, cotton candy, or Allman Brothers-esque soloing or its influence.

I don't like others.

Forum Regular
    This is the concert The Allman Brothers were hoping to eclipse. Alas...they failed.
    I didn't change my mind. It changed all by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by jasn
    This is the concert The Allman Brothers were hoping to eclipse. Alas...they failed.
    Now this is the kind of sarcasm I like.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Who records performances at Bingo halls?

"If I Were A Carpenter" is seriously hurl-worthy. "...I would hammer you anyway..."

I think this guy wrote "Hang On To A Dream" that was covered by The Nice in a prog/jazz/classical vein on their 3rd album back in nineteen and sixty-nine A.D.

I even have video of The Nice doing this. The way I figure it, that makes me way more obscure and hipper than some journalist who bought a live Tim Hardin album. Except for the bingo hall part, I guess. That's down with the people and stuff.

Are we there yet?

NP: John Scofield - Blue Matter

Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    Are we there yet?
    Clearly not.

I bet Seconds Out isn't on this list.

NP: Los Straightjackets

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Clearly not.

I bet Seconds Out isn't on this list.
    HA!! Ya think? Or Gentle Giant's Playing The Fool. Those are fantastic live albums.

NP: XTC - Drums And Wires

Suspended
    So who's list is this Swish? I can think of about 10K,000,000 better live shows than what I've seen in week one & two of this club exclusive series...

Why does that matter Rich?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    So who's list is this Swish? I can think of about 10K,000,000 better live shows than what I've seen in week one & two of this club exclusive series...
    Anybody can make a list, even you, and it's relevant to the person who created it, no matter that you 'can think of about 10K,000,000 better live shows'. He would disagree with you, and what's the basis for your argument? Because you like a particular artist more than he does?
    Yeah, many of us have typed similar comments over the year, but it's true. There's not a lot of objectivity in music, if any.

I don't want to reveal the source of this because I don't want everyone going to the list and seeing what's coming next, although several of you already have with Google or whatever. What's the point of me posting one per week if everyone knows the entire list? I may as well just post the whole damn thing and be done with it.

Swish - not ticked off, just saying what's on my mind.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    What's the point of me posting one per week if everyone knows the entire list?
    So we can act like you chose them & give you crap for it if we don't like the choices & act like we would've made the same choice, without giving you any credit, if we do?

I don't like others.

Very funny J. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    So we can act like you chose them & give you crap for it if we don't like the choices & act like we would've made the same choice, without giving you any credit, if we do?
    You can do whatever you like my friend. I didn't really care that you looked up the list, but if everyone does it, then my weekly posting is a waste 'o time, or almost a waste.

I'm not a big 'live' recording fan, but some of those on this list have me scratching my head. I've heard better, at least to my ears and taste.

Swishdaddy

Like I already said in the other thread, its a good weekly series. I appreciate your effort.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Like I already said in the other thread, its a good weekly series. I appreciate your effort.
    Yeah, me too. Even if every album is some boring and smarmy suicidal folkie, or an Alabama trailer-trash boogie band, I appreciate the effort and have the patience and self control to not look up the actual list.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information