Week 17: 50 Albums That Changed Music

The Stooges - Raw Power (1973)

Produced by David Bowie, who also helped re-form the band, Raw Power was the Stooge's late swansong, and their most influential album. The Detroit group were already legendary for incendiary live shows and first two albums, but Raw Power, though selling as poorly as its predecessors, was subsequently cited as a prime influence by virtually every group in the British punk scene. Without this...no punk, so no Sex Pistols (who covered 'No Fun"); no White Stripes.

A great one for sure, but even the remastered CD is among the worst recordings in my collection, and that's saying a lot since I have quite a few crappy ones.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Not much more for me to say other than this band and album influenced so much of what I listened to growing up that I can't do anything other than chime in with agreement on its greatness and influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Without this...no punk, so no Sex Pistols (who covered 'No Fun"); no White Stripes.
    ...and no Queen Haters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MZswXjqRsU

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I agree with this one. Heck, I even agree with his "no this no that" statement, this time.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

It's one of the few "perfect albums" in rock history

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    The Stooges - Raw Power (1973)

Produced by David Bowie, who also helped re-form the band, Raw Power was the Stooge's late swansong, and their most influential album. The Detroit group were already legendary for incendiary live shows and first two albums, but Raw Power, though selling as poorly as its predecessors, was subsequently cited as a prime influence by virtually every group in the British punk scene. Without this...no punk, so no Sex Pistols (who covered 'No Fun"); no White Stripes.

A great one for sure, but even the remastered CD is among the worst recordings in my collection, and that's saying a lot since I have quite a few crappy ones.

Swish
    IMHO, of course. It has no weak cuts and they all blend together well. Very influential record as well, although back when it was current it was hard to find people that actually enjoyed listening to it. I still think the riff through the "chorus" of the title track is one of the 2 or 3 best in rock history.

Another "perfect" album? Fun House. The Stooges really took care of business, both live and in the studio.
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

Thread Information