Forum Regular

Any one here ever done SXSW?

I am seriously considering doing this in '09...but, how the hell do you do "1,800 musical acts of all genres from around the globe on over eighty stages in downtown Austin."?

I mean in five days, all that. I assume, probably a poor one, that each of these venues carries their own ticket/door fees? Or is there some sort of one price for any/all wrist band that you wear for a week?

Just curious how this monster gig is done.

thereyet

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Not sure about SXSW, but NXNE (the Great White North's version of the same festival) has both options. You can buy an all-access wrist band or pay for just the bands that you want to see.

The internet is a wonderful thing my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by thereyet
    I am seriously considering doing this in '09...but, how the hell do you do "1,800 musical acts of all genres from around the globe on over eighty stages in downtown Austin."?

I mean in five days, all that. I assume, probably a poor one, that each of these venues carries their own ticket/door fees? Or is there some sort of one price for any/all wrist band that you wear for a week?

Just curious how this monster gig is done.

thereyet
    I Googled SXSW and got exactly what you need. Go here and you can find the info for attending. A quick review on the Attendance page revealed there are different 'badge' levels that get you more access for a pricier level, but read all about it at the site.

From everything I've read and heard, Austin is a complete zoo during this event, and you probably are too late to book a decent hotel room, but perhaps I'm wrong. I've been to the NOLA Jazz Fest twice, and had my lodging booked about 6 months in advance, as well as my flights. Waiting 2 or 3 month prior to the show is betting to lose.

I understand it's a great time, but we're planning to go to Austin in the near future (this summer) when the college crowd dies down. The rooms will be cheaper and there are still some great music venues to hit at any given time, and I also have a friend who plans to meet us too.

Swish
    Last edited by Swish; 11-30-2008 at 09:13 AM.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    Hmmm, the link didn't work Swish. Was it the official SXSW home page?

Yeah, I hear ya about the lateness of the query, but I am a newbie about this event and maybe I just have to keep dreaming.

I am trying to give my 17 year old son some ideas for a spring break fling as something of a graduation present...the wife is getting all sentimental about now. Not too sure she would be into the "zoo" thing anyhoo. You say there is good round year musical fun in those parts?

Thanks for the replies.

thereyet

Try my link again...

Quote Originally Posted by thereyet
    Hmmm, the link didn't work Swish. Was it the official SXSW home page?

Yeah, I hear ya about the lateness of the query, but I am a newbie about this event and maybe I just have to keep dreaming.

I am trying to give my 17 year old son some ideas for a spring break fling as something of a graduation present...the wife is getting all sentimental about now. Not too sure she would be into the "zoo" thing anyhoo. You say there is good round year musical fun in those parts?

Thanks for the replies.

thereyet
    ...or just go to www.sxsw.com. When I did the HTML 'here' thing I didn't copy www, so it was incomplete.

You might not be too late for this one due to the economy and all. Do you need to fly there? If so, I'd check for available flights first, and, of course, available hotel rooms. You may still be able to find something suitable.

Good luck!
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    ...nah, but I got ahold of some MDMA once.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Btttthhhhhh....

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    ...nah, but I got ahold of some MDMA once.
    ...or whatever that noise is when beer comes out of your nose! Not sure I've ever seen the onomatopoeia for that one. So, were you in ecstasy when you took that stuff?

Shot through the looking glass...complete with quad stereo panning of real life events...beware the jabberwocky, my son.

Alot of them boys at Upjohn Pharmacia did some sidework back in the day.

Forum Regular
    I have an acquaintance who went last year. He did buy the all access wrist band and that allowed him to skip the lines. He said it was the only way to go in order to maximize the number of venues per day. He had a blast.You can read a blow-by-blow account on a blog he co-writes:
    http://teenkicks.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html

I've been talking up a trip to SXSW as a spring break trip for my daughter. She is very interested, but I'm not sure which year we will do it.

Forum Regular
    Dang the bad luck, the boy finally produce a calender and Spring break ain't till April.

Could be next year? Or could do like Swish suggested and go off festival for decreased crowds and more hotel availability.

Thanks for the link Suki, I will check out the first hand account.

thereyet

Oh, Waaaay back in the day it was just MDA.

Hey, speaking of chemical induced stupors...has anyone ever heard Foo Fighters'"What If I Say I'm Not Like The Others?" and mistaken it for a rawked-out version of the Sesame Street classic One Of These Things Is Not Like The Others..."??

Without much effort you can actually come up with lyrics that work contextually.

Seriously.

Thread Information