Week 15: 25 Best Live Records of All Time.

Well, last week was a lot of fun with the many sharp jabs aimed in the direction of Jackson Browne. Glad they weren't at me or I'd have been KO'd in short order. I think this week's selection will be accepted fairly well, mostly because they're consider one of the prominent rock bands in rock history, even if they did 'borrow' many of their most successful songs from others.

11) BBC Sessions--Led Zeppelin: While Led Zeppelin did many things well and their career was one long quest for the next step in sound, they were arguably at their peak when they turned it up and went for broke. John Bonham often sounds as if his mission was to destroy his drum set. And Jimmy Page figured by turning his guitar up louder it only made Bonham play that much harder.

I've heard this but it was so long ago that I really can't give an opinion with any merit, and I prolly heard it on some piece o' crap rig which made it sound even worse that it should have.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

There are 2 BBC Sessions collections I think are better, the one by the Beatles, and the one by the Who. I haven't listened to this in awhile; I remember a decent moment or two, but overall I've seen footage from them in 1969 that was much better.

I listened to Houses Of The Holy yesterday. I'm done caring about Led Zeppelin in general for another 12 months, at least.

I don't like others.

I'd take Jackson Browne any day.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    There are 2 BBC Sessions collections I think are better, the one by the Beatles, and the one by the Who.
    IMHO another BBC Session album that is arguably better would be Rory Gallagher's BBC effort.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

The sound quality of the '69 sessions on this disc sound horrible. The same sessions have been bootlegged on the streets years before this official release and they sound much better. I don't know what gets into the heads of some of these engineers.

But overall this 2 disc set is much better than The Song Remains The Same.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

[fixed]

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    I'd take Jackson Browne any day.
    ...or any of the Peel Sessions.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    amen...I was just thinking that 'bout the Peel sessions. Zep's How the West was Won (is that the title?- what a dumb title) has some great live Zep moments...the acoustic set where the audience just looks bored & confused - one of my favorite live on DVD musical moments.

I've never heard or seen this concert, but I can't imagine it was any better than the Knebworth or Earl's Court performances from their s/t DVD boxset. And anything is better than the Madison Square Garden concert.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I've never heard or seen this concert, but I can't imagine it was any better than the Knebworth or Earl's Court performances from their s/t DVD boxset. And anything is better than the Madison Square Garden concert.
    Any early Zep from this '69/'71 period is gonna be better than the '79 tour. Knebworth has horrible incompetent f*ckups from Page that aren't on the DVD.

Thread Information