My "almost" universal Pioneer disc player doesn't like Neil Young

A few months ago I posted (boasted) about getting a universal format disc player; Pioneer DV563-A (it plays DVD video, DVD-A & SACD discs) at a killer price ($150 I think). Since then, I've mainly used it as a DVD video player, but I did pick up one SACD disc to check out high res audio. Talk Talk "Colour of Spring" was the first hi-res disc (SACD) I owned and it didn't disappoint.

A few weeks ago I was in a music store and saw Neil Young "On the Beach" in DVD-A format, so I picked it up. I finally got a chance to give it a spin over the weekend but initially got no sound from the disc. The display shows that it's being read (track number & disc time count up), but nothing from the speeks. I read over my manual and tried several different digital processing choices (PCM, down conversion, bla, bla, bla) but still no sound. I searched online and found the link below which describes a firmware problem with the Pioneer DV563A disc player. Apparently there's a firmware upgrade available but I haven't contacted Pioneer yet.

I just wanted to post this as a warning in case anyone else owns or is considering this unit. It's pretty popular due to it's low price. I guess only a few DVD-A discs are affected by the problem, and the link does claim that current units have been modified since the problem was discovered, but buyer beware...

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=10659686

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Arrow Damn, that sucks.

You bought perhaps one of the greatest albums ever made (IMHO), and now the freakin' thing won't play it. If it were my disc player I would "repair" it with a sledgehammer. ; P

Give 'em hell.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Wow, that's some high praise!

Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    You bought perhaps one of the greatest albums ever made (IMHO), and now the freakin' thing won't play it. If it were my disc player I would "repair" it with a sledgehammer. ; P

Give 'em hell.
    One reason I picked On the Beach up is because I can't remember ever having heard the album, although some of the song titles sound familiar. If it were a hybrid SACD, I could at least listen to the cd layer, but in the DVD-A format I'm sol until I inquire about the upgrade.

Oh well, I waited 30 years to hear the album, I guess I can wait a bit longer

Rick

Thread Information