Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,630

    Wanna save 10-14 bucks?

    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Go to your nearest CD emporium. Pick up the new System of a Down disc, Mezmerize. Put it back down.

    Go home, put on SoaD's Toxicity.

    You're welcome.

    fp

  2. #2
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Thanks for the warning!

  3. #3
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    I can double your savings. Leave them both on the shelf.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  4. #4
    In perfect harmony DarrenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wolverine Country
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I can double your savings. Leave them both on the shelf.

    jc
    Ain't that the truth. BLECH!
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lawrenceville
    Posts
    1,112
    I save myself a fortune by not buying most music. I steal it.

    Dave

  6. #6
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    I save myself a fortune by not buying most music. I steal it.

    Dave
    Oh yeah? Well I can make money on it. I pirate it and then sell it on card tables at the flea market.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  7. #7
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Oh yeah? Well I can make money on it. I pirate it and then sell it on card tables at the flea market.

    jc
    Yeah??

    Those card tables you're using? Thought they were real, dincha?

    I made 'em. They're copies.

    fp

  8. #8
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lawrenceville
    Posts
    1,112
    Quoting Cheech from Cheech & Chong :

    "Hey man, someone ripped off the things that I ripped off!"

    Dave

  9. #9
    Forum Regular newtrix1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    560

    I'll take the contrarian view here...

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Ain't that the truth. BLECH!
    Just finished giving Mezmerize an initial listen and my first impression was positive. Knowing that this album was coming out, I pulled Toxicity out for a spin 2 weeks ago, then yesterday I listened to Steal This Disc in the car. I'd rate Mez right square in between these 2 releases.
    Imo Toxicity will be one of those long term albums that I'll be playing with some regularity for a long time. It's just solid with several great tracks. Steal This Disc, in comparison, was disappointing to me, very much a roller coaster album with the best tracks sounding liked rehashed songs from Toxicity. Mezmerize has their trademark shout-sing vocals and machine gun, sledgehammer guitar, but also has it's own personality. Lyrics are typical over-the-top, sometimes vulgar, repetitive enunciations, but I gotta admit they sometimes had me suppressing a burst of laughter. Not sure if these guys expect us listeners to take their poliical & social criticisms seriously, or if they intend to be tongue-in-cheek (perhaps both?).
    Anyhow, System of Down has created a unique style (yeah, I know, they pull from some other artists), when you hear almost any song by these guys you know it's them. If I was to grade their albums, I'd give: Toxicity A-, Steal This Disc C, and Mezmerize (an early) B+.
    As a few others here have discovered the hard way, I surely recommend listening before buying, but NOT at a listening station. This band is like Tequilla, your initial reaction might be to spit it out, but if you can get it down your throat, the party begins.

  10. #10
    Indifferentist Slosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,221
    Hey Feces Platte, I'll take it off your hands. Not for me, but I have a friend who plays them over and over and over again and is kinda tight financially at the moment. I could even trade you something if you'd like.

    BTW Trickster, it's called Steal This Album. Now go and edit your post!

    NP: American Analog Set/White Magic split - Songs Of Hurt And Healing
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.


  11. #11
    Forum Regular newtrix1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    560

    OK, imagine that I edited it

    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    BTW Trickster, it's called Steal This Album. Now go and edit your post!

    [/i]
    Thanks for the "spell check", but I'm too lazy to actually change it.

  12. #12
    Indifferentist Slosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    Thanks for the "spell check", but I'm too lazy to actually change it.
    And yet you found time to teach a left-handed monkey to play guitar. Hmmm

    NP: Spoon - Gimme Fiction (LP )
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.


  13. #13
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,636
    Reminds me of a schtick that Craig Kilbourn once did. He starts out by giving this big long introduction, and a voice-over, and theme music and titles, and it's called, "Craig has a better idea". It starts with him listening to Sade's new album, then he says, "no, wait a minute...", fidgets around under his desk for a second, then her old album (track was "Smooth Operator") comes on, and he looks relieved. That was Craig has a Better Idea...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

  14. #14
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,630

    Man.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Reminds me of a schtick that Craig Kilbourn once did. He starts out by giving this big long introduction, and a voice-over, and theme music and titles, and it's called, "Craig has a better idea". It starts with him listening to Sade's new album, then he says, "no, wait a minute...", fidgets around under his desk for a second, then her old album (track was "Smooth Operator") comes on, and he looks relieved. That was Craig has a Better Idea...
    I miss that show. It's curious to me that Conan can go on and on and on in his old, stale way, and Leno can go on and on and on in his old, unfunny way, but a show like Kilbourn just ends rather abruptly.

    He quit, right?

    I'll bet we (posters of this forum) could write a pretty good comedy show...

    fp

  15. #15
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,630

    Nah.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Hey Feces Platte, I'll take it off your hands. Not for me, but I have a friend who plays them over and over and over again and is kinda tight financially at the moment. I could even trade you something if you'd like.

    BTW Trickster, it's called Steal This Album. Now go and edit your post!

    NP: American Analog Set/White Magic split - Songs Of Hurt And Healing
    Thanks for the "offer", but I can get $5-6 bucks in trade for it.

    I could send a copy along, tho...?

    fp

  16. #16
    Forum Regular newtrix1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    560

    Circuit City has it for $8.99

    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Thanks for the "offer", but I can get $5-6 bucks in trade for it.

    I could send a copy along, tho...?

    fp
    I think until tomorrow or Saturday.

  17. #17
    Indifferentist Slosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Thanks for the "offer", but I can get $5-6 bucks in trade for it.

    I could send a copy along, tho...?

    fp
    Thanks but don't bother. I hear SOADuh too much now as it is.

    While I'm still in the giving mood, I could take every other paycheck off your hands. Am I not generous?
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.


  18. #18
    Indifferentist Slosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,221
    My friend brought Mezmerize over last night. I dunno, sounds pretty much like all of the other SoaD albums to me except with a different singer on a bunch of the songs, although I should point out I'm really not very into them. Man, what awful sonics. How can a band with this much commercial sucess record an album with sound quality this bad? Sounds like they mastered it on a ten year old notebook PC.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. HDTV Picture Question Help
    By hershon in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 08:29 AM
  2. The next album I wanna buy is ......
    By Davey in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 09:27 AM
  3. Pre-order your live Incubus DVD and save a bit o' cash.
    By Finch Platte in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 05:27 AM
  4. Wanna Talk About any Reissues?
    By nobody in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 02:29 PM
  5. Who Will Save Rock?
    By jasn in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •