Turkey Tunes

it's always cold when she's away
    ain't no sunshine when she's gone
    and she's always gone too long
    any time she goes away

ain't no sunshine when she's gone
    and this house just ain't my home
    any time she goes away

This "Blush Music" CD has been like a broken record around my place for weeks, just keeps going around and around. Woven Hand has become kind of like my 2006 soundtrack, with all the spins on the new "Mosaic", and back to the debut, and "Consider the Birds". And that great "Short Stories" disc from Lilium too. But this is the one that has me so mesmerized. Guess I've begun to sound like a broken record too, but it just seems so special. I've never heard an artist go back and rework previous recordings with this kind of vision before. Just amazing how some of the songs from the Woven Hand debut re-emerged a couple years later as multi-dimensional epics on this soundtrack for a Belgian dance company.

His cover of Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" is a very concise 2:54 on the debut. Says he recorded it for his wife and daughter because it's one of their favorites. Subtely changed the line about "gonna leave the young thing alone" to "gonna leave your things alone", which continues to trip me up almost every time I sing along, but makes more sense overall in the context of the song. On "Blush Music" the song becomes a moody masterpiece, expanded to over 14 minutes and retitled "Animalitos (Ain't No Sunshine)", accented with the voices of children, and the ominous sound of crows overhead, remixed with other found sounds. Driven by a more powerful vocal track than the much more reserved reading on the debut, in my opinion surpassing even Bill Withers' great original, but not even entering the picture until 10 seconds short of the 5 minute mark. Spooky, with the guitars seeming to encircle the vocal, like serpents. Powerful stuff, but only one of many. Most of the songs unfold slowly and morph seamlessly from one to the next, some with extended instrumental sections, maybe requiring a bit of patience from the listener of more conventional music, but no complaints from me after countless listens. As usual, when Robert Ferbrache and his Studio Absinthe is involved, another great sounding CD too.

Anyway, that's my Turkey Tunes. Any special tunes in the roaster for you today? Oh yeah, been spinning some of that advance copy of the new Shins CD that has been floating around here lately, but kind of underwhelming right now. Nice enough, though. Some of it seems a bit flat, I wonder if this is really the final mix?
    Last edited by Davey; 11-23-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Speaking of Blush Music, I'm spinning it right now.

Also:
    Sixteen Horsepower- Sackcloth 'n' Ashes
    Espers - II
    The Lucksmiths - Warmer Corners
    Idlewild - Warnings/Promises
    The BeAtles - Let It Be... Naked
    Squeeze - Greatest Hits (all the Squeeze I'll ever need )
    Wilco -Live In Calgary (that's what I'm calling this boot)
    The Clash - Give 'em Enough Rope

and just for fun . . . For Those About To RAWK: A Punk Tribute to AC/DC (The Vibrators, Groovie Ghoulies, Angry Samoans, Day Glo Abortions, etc.)
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Speaking of Blush Music, I'm spinning it right now.

Hey, nice looking day of tunes over your way. Got that new Califone spinning around here now and giving thanks for the little treats in life ... good music, friends and Sam Adams Boston Lager. Hope you and everyone else around here, past and present, has a great holiday, whether it involves the butchery of a big innocent bird, or not.

Take care! I do need to pull out that Warmer Corners more often. High quality twee, for sure.

Shake the glass out of your hair
    Spell your name in broken teeth
    Three-legged animals shut their sweet eyes
    Lick your scars and grow wings
    Ease back warm electric chair
    Leave your memories, we’re almost new

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    ]
    and just for fun . . . For Those About To RAWK: A Punk Tribute to AC/DC (The Vibrators, Groovie Ghoulies, Angry Samoans, Day Glo Abortions, etc.)
    Just who was Jerry Curlan, and what did he do to inspie such ire?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Just who was Jerry Curlan, and what did he do to inspie such ire?
    Because he sleeps with midgets and drives a Ferrari, of course.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    ...it was right in front of me the whole time.So simple...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Wow, this place is deader than yesterday's turkey! One of the few music boards you can have your own personal what's spinning thread

Invited Howe Gelb over for the holiday. Along with a little gospel choir. Nice sounds, still in strong contention for one of those coveted top spots on Uncle Davey's Holiday Mixer. Actually, he's a shoo-in. Not perfect, never is, wouldn't be Howe if it was, but completely unpretentious and loveable. Just a fun and satisfying record, and a very nice sounding one too.

Just back from Omaha and the Thanksgiving festivities with the in-laws. Not too bad a time, especially since me and the boys spent about 6 hours on Friday combing through the record bins at Harry's and the newer record shop a few blocks farther down the road. Between the three of us we picked up about 50 new (to us) slabs of vinyl. The boys are downstairs now listening to Rainbow. Don't know for sure how the 12 year old knew about Rainbow but the shredder in him led him to it. Not having every been a metal guy, I'm upstairs checking out some of my own gems including a Columbia 2 eye copy of Johnny Cash' I Walk The Line. Great stuff indeed.

Hope everyone had a great day on Thursday and was able to watch the Chiefs victory in HD on the NFL channels inaugural (sp?) game day broadcast.

Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Thread Information