Thread: Tunesday Tunes

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar

Tunesday Tunes

Been listening way too many times over the last couple weeks to the new Signal Morning from Circulatory System, complete with all the previous members of Olivia Tremor Control according to the press blurbs, including OTC co-founder Bill Doss and the elusive Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel. Easily best record of the year, now vying for best of the last few years. We'll see, but I haven't been this stuck on something that isn't even released yet in ... well, ever. Wanted to hold off, and keep meaning to shelve it for awhile until the official product date next month, but keep returning, like a moth to the funeral pyre, I mean it's not really healthy to be so fixated on just one record, is it?. But this is more like an enchanting drug, no adverse side effects, other than the occasional social misstep when amongst those that couldn't possibly understand, or the strange look from a stranger at a stop light when the glorious noise has momentarily overshadowed the mundane outside world, and you've got that really goofy look....

Backwards messages, sliced and diced effects, colorful psychedelic images, and throughout it all some very cool tunes

We're on the outside blasting through
    We're on the inside
    How many more miles ...
    We're not alone

(reverse)
    It's coming in waves
    It's in this way
    Gold will stay
    Now I know

Gold will stay
    It's coming in waves
    It's in this way
    Gold will stay

Tour should be the best ....

And yours?
    Here comes midnight, with the dead moon in its jaw ...

Suspended
    Lots of Morglbl in prep for the show in two weeks at Rockin Joes Coffee House in Princeton.

Govt Mule, Carl Filipiac, Special EFX, Steve Miller live Extended Versions, Marillion....

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Been listening to my paltry vinyl collection...nuthin substantial, but my copies of The Who's Face Dances and Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything sound pretty good, even though they look like cheap vinyl. Need to hook up with my neighbor so I can get some good old stuff.

Been listening a lot to IQ's Frequency and the reissue of Magma's Seven, which is a great album even if it is derrivative as hell in a Starcastle sort of way.

The Doves Kingdom Of Rust still gets plenty of rotation. Dredg's new one The Parriah, The Parrot, & The Delusion is just stellar, much better than Catch Without Arms which I liked but haven't had the desire to listen to in a while.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    Been listening way too many times over the last couple weeks to the new Signal Morning from Circulatory System, complete with all the previous members of Olivia Tremor Control according to the press blurbs, including OTC co-founder Bill Doss and the elusive Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel. Easily best record of the year, now vying for best of the last few years. We'll see, but I haven't been this stuck on something that isn't even released yet in ... well, ever. Wanted to hold off, and keep meaning to shelve it for awhile until the official product date next month, but keep returning, like a moth to the funeral pyre, I mean it's not really healthy to be so fixated on just one record, is it?. But this is more like an enchanting drug, no adverse side effects, other than the occasional social misstep when amongst those that couldn't possibly understand, or the strange look from a stranger at a stop light when the glorious noise has momentarily overshadowed the mundane outside world, and you've got that really goofy look....

And yours?
    That sounds more than just a little bit intriguing!

Of the new stuff I've been wrapping my ears around...

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
    Wilco (The Album)
    Eels - Hombre Lobo
    Sparklehorse & Dangermouse - Dark Was The Night

Can't really wax poetic about any of them yet, though the WIlco album is very solid and Justin Vernon sounds eerily like the guy from TVOTR at times.

And right now I'm spinning some vinyl; Camper Van Beethoven's Telephone Free Landslide Victory
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I second our former lion tamer. That does sound interesting. Last Saturday night, after having a few, I re-visited In the Aeroplane over the Sea... blew my mind again. I'm primed for any new Mangum project!

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I'm primed for any new Mangum project!
    Careful, this isn't a new Mangum project, and his part in it is probably exaggerated, and likely isn't new either. I'm not sure what he is up to lately, or whether he might turn up on the CS tour at any point. Some of this new Circulatory System record is spliced and diced from older recordings, but very cohesively. I know they have Mangum on drums in one song, that might be his only appearance. No way really to tell at this point. It's a continuation of the also amazing first CS record from 2001, which kind of followed the path of the two Olivia Tremor Control records, though probably more akin to the first one, Dusk at Cubist Castle. This one is shaping up in my mind as their best yet. Similarities to the also amazing Aeroplane, but much different, owing a lot to the psychedelic sound of the Beatles, A Day in the Life of Strawberry Fields type stuff, yet taken in a more experimental direction. Great flow throughout. And yea, some Pink Floyd, for sure.

The 99.8M downloads out there are from a high quality leak, though reports have them still mastering after that leak, so it probably wasn't the final product. Never going to sound like a George Martin production, though some of these recordings probably did lead a tortured life, bouncing from one tape machine back to another. Fuzzy at times, but a good preview.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3tkrybm2xf5
    Here comes midnight, with the dead moon in its jaw ...

Thread Information