Forum Regular

Tunesday Thread - what you listening to?

Always interesting to hear what other people are listening to, sadly not much for me this week apart from a few gems

Josh Ritter – Hello Starling
    Had this for a while but never really sat down and listened much before, well I did this week and I’m glad I did. It’s mainly acoustic stuff with a few upbeat tracks but really beautifully recorded, the sort of recording where you just want to turn it up loud and all of a sudden he’s there in your room. If you like singer songwriter ‘folk’ you’ll like this.

Butterfly Jones – Napalm Springs
    Formed from the remnants of Dada (but Dada fans will know this already) I picked this up locally and it was so cheap it was daylight robbery. What a classy piece of pop rock this is, just good melodic songs brilliantly performed and recorded, and for guitar fans there’s plenty going on in the mix.

Peter Gabriel – Hit
    A 2 disc compilation disc 1 covers most of the hits and disc 2 covers minor hits and others. I have a few Gabriel albums and I’ve always liked his stuff but this comp especially disc 2 is really good.

Snow Patrol – Final Straw
    This apparently came out in 2003 but it’s been re-released with a few bonus tracks after a single has been getting a bit of recent airplay. I bought it on a whim and it’s a bit of a shame I did, they have a Feeder/Coldplay sound to them which is ok but nothing special.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Always interesting to hear what other people are listening to, sadly not much for me this week apart from a few gems

Josh Ritter – Hello Starling
    Had this for a while but never really sat down and listened much before, well I did this week and I’m glad I did. It’s mainly acoustic stuff with a few upbeat tracks but really beautifully recorded, the sort of recording where you just want to turn it up loud and all of a sudden he’s there in your room. If you like singer songwriter ‘folk’ you’ll like this.

Formed from the remnants of Dada (but Dada fans will know this already) I picked this up locally and it was so cheap it was daylight robbery. What a classy piece of pop rock this is, just good melodic songs brilliantly performed and recorded, and for guitar fans there’s plenty going on in the mix.

Peter Gabriel – Hit
    A 2 disc compilation disc 1 covers most of the hits and disc 2 covers minor hits and others. I have a few Gabriel albums and I’ve always liked his stuff but this comp especially disc 2 is really good.

Snow Patrol – Final Straw
    This apparently came out in 2003 but it’s been re-released with a few bonus tracks after a single has been getting a bit of recent airplay. I bought it on a whim and it’s a bit of a shame I did, they have a Feeder/Coldplay sound to them which is ok but nothing special.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike,

Agreed on the Josh Ritter- it's a great listen; kind of a Blonde On Blonde era feel to it.

New-to-me:

Richard Buckner, Impasse- after only a couple of spins, a very fine record for the alt/indie folks.

Tim Easton, Break Your Mother's Heart- More folky singer/songwriter stuff- the first listen didn't grab me until the last song, True Ways. So I went through it all again paying more attention, and warmed up to it.

The Frames, Setlist- a live recording from 2002. Not that crazy about live recordings, especially ones where the audience ends up doing sing-alongs with the artists. Sniping aside, this is actually very good, energetic music with that Irish flair that always catches my ear.

Jeffrey Foucault, Miles From The Lightning- another folkie in the Greg Brown/ John Gorka vein....very enjoyable stuff.

Still rotating heavily: Ghost's Hypnotic Underworld, Willard Grant's Regard The End, Handsome Family's Singing Bones, J. VAnderslice's Cellar Door.

Special Mention: Mountain Goats' Tallahassee- I'd listened to sporadic selections from this courtesy of Unklebob, but spun the entire disk for the first time yesterday, and it quite a remarkable achievement. A song-cycle about a couple of world-weary lovers that make a move from S. Florida to Tallahassee, and explore their love-hate relationship along the way. Some of the most lyrically imaginitive songs I've heard in a long time. Highly recommended.

2 comps in the mail from Jack70 yesterday- thanks as always- haven't heard any Ellen McIlwaine in ages........

et
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Yup, always like to see what people are listening to. Here's some of mine...

First, some jazz…Duke Ellington: Ellington at Newport, my first listen to this. I had some previous listening to Ellington, but nothing that got to me the way this one did, great stuff. I listened to the vinyl version, but may have to seek out the CD reissue with the complete concert. The Very Best of Artie Shaw, more big band, with great work by the leader on clarinet. Some vocal turns by greats like Billie Holiday add variety. Good stuff.

A little soul with Roberta Flack: First Take, a classic record. Live recording, featuring an excellent backing band. Great jazzy soul well recorded. If you like mellow female vocals, this should be on your short list. Picked up the pace with a Junior Walker and the All Stars: Anthology, a great collection of hits from the Motown star. High energy R&B sax at it’s finest. Played the Impressions: Greatest Hits LP too, a personal favorite.

Played some reggae & dub, visiting The Wailers: Burnin’, something I hadn’t pulled out in a long time, but always enjoy, just rough enough around the edges. Also played a bunch of Sly & Robbie, 2 collections, , a mediocre dub collection that was handy, and , an excellent collection of their collaborations with others, featuring tracks like Chaka Demus & Pliers doing Murder She Wrote and Grace Jones doing Pull Up To The Bumper along with many more. I also pulled out the Trojan Dub Box, another in a long line of excellent 3 disc collections of Jamaican music from Trojan.

Grabbed one new record, the Books: The Lemon of Pink, an avant garde-ish collage of sounds. Oddly appealing, but I expect we’ll hear better from these folks before all is said and done.

Went through other stuff as well, a Lovin Spoonful collection, some Bo Diddley, Mum, Honest D & the Steel Reserve, an excellent local Honky Tonk style band, and more.

Forum Regular

spinage

These have been some of my listening pleasures this week.

Spirit.......................12 dreams....
    Stranglers................Rattus Norvegicus
    AC/DC.....................Live
    James Carr...............Complete Goldwax singles
    Doris Duke...............I'm a Loser
    TonyToniTone...........House of Music
    Gladys Knight..........Ultimate Collection
    Robert Johnson........Complete Recordings
    Harpin Vol 1.............Chip B and JDaniel

Tony

Forum Regular

About Sly and Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Also played a bunch of Sly & Robbie, 2 collections, , a mediocre dub collection that was handy, and , an excellent collection of their collaborations with others, featuring tracks like Chaka Demus & Pliers doing Murder She Wrote and Grace Jones doing Pull Up To The Bumper along with many more. I also pulled out the Trojan Dub Box, another in a long line of excellent 3 disc collections of Jamaican music from Trojan.
    I liked a lot of the Sly and Robbies stuff from the 80's/90's particularly the Grace Jones era she has a compilation out called the Compass Point Sessions which is pretty good.

One I've always been after is 'Sly and Robbie meets The Paragons' which came out on Island records in about 1982, I had it on vinyl but I've never been able to replace it on CD. I did have it on order with a German mail order company for about 6 months but nothing ever came of it so it was cancelled in the end.

I keep looking but no sign of it so far, I picked up a remastered version Joe Cocker's Sheffield Steel recently from the same era so I'm sure it will turn up some day.

Cheers
    Mike

I'm a big fan of that Grace Gones Compass Point compilation. I haven't listened to it for a while, but am gonna have to pull it out now. Never heard that Sly & Robbie meets the Paragons, but if I ever see it, I'll know to grab it from now on, doubtful from the sounds of it. Good luck huntin'.

Music Maestro,

Went out and bought my first Zappa CD. Hot Rats. Really enjoyed it too. Somewhat jazzy, somewhat fusiony. Great guitar bits. Whimsical sounding in the vein of the great "Canterbury" musics. I loved it. Gonna explore me some more FZ in the future.

Some Miles Davis. Listened to disc one of B!tches Brew. And Cookin'. What a contrast between these two recordings, eh.

Art Pepper's Gettin' Together and Intensity. Both on DCC gold. Really good early 60's jazz.

Return To Forever - Where Have I Know You Before. Chick Corea fronted fusion. Little harder edge to this one verses their s/t opener but nothing like Mahavishnu's stuff.

Last Friday I was in the mood for some heavy stuff so the following got played:

Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Dead Soul Tribe - S/T
    Metallica - Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets. Both on DCC gold. I haven't spun any Metallica in a looooooong time. These blew me away. Really enjoyed hearing them again.

Other things worth mentioning:

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies
    Tull - Roots To Branches, Crest of a Knave and J-Tull.com

A very cool comp from Troy entitled Mentalflake. Great comp Troy. You sure know how to put these together.

Stan Ridgway - Holiday In Dirt. Great artwork Troy and that's about it. I didn't realize this disc was a collection of rare and unreleased tracks. I didn't care for this. For the hard core fan only. Anatomy was an excellent disc and a better place to start for me.

Adrian Belew - Here. This wasn't bad. A few clunkers but some very good tracks as well. I prefer the work he does with Fripp better though.

RPWL - Trying To Kiss The Sun and Stock. Both together on one disc. Compiled by BarryL but I got a copy from Troy. Pretty good although some of things I was hearing on Stock got a little boring. Trying To Kiss..... was the better of the two imo. The title track was excellent. Man, these guys sound JUST like Pink Floyd. Close your eyes and you'd swear it was them.

All in all, not a bad week in music for me.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Forum Regular

Lets see if I can remember

Budgie - in for the Kill

Strawbs - A choice Selection

A Steely Dan 5 into 1 comp I made

The Stranglers - The Raven

Devo - several titles

The Flower Kings - the audio cd's out of the new 2 cd 2 dvd set. Muy Bueno.

Ultravox - Lament

Peter Tosh - Legalize It

Watched some of a Pearl Jam dvd too. These guys are good but the music is very repetitive from song to song.

Also watched some of the new Yesspeak 2 dvd documentary - okay stuff but only watched like 20 minutes of it. It does show that Yes members are real people like the rest of us, and good lord Wakey has sure had his share of illness.

Might go out today and snarf a few new remasters. (Yes)

Dave

Darren, I shoulda asked about that Ridgway disc. The ones you want are Mosquitos and Partyball. Glad you liked Mentalflake. I think the first half flows like a mo-fo. RPWL is a current favorite for me. They started out as a Pink Floyd coverband and those roots still show. I like the fact that their sound relates more to the early 70s Floyd than the later band.

Dave, you need to send me that Flower Kings DVD set right away.

That Conspiracy disc is rather bland. John Foxx's Metamatic is just downright strange. Makes gary numan sound like Justin Timberlake.

Zappa Lather is a 3 disc compilation of 3 mid-70s albums (Orchestral Favorites, Sleep Dirt and that other one I can't remember) and unreleased live stuff. Some of the instrumental fusion on this set simply kills.

Other goodies include a couple of recently released Porcupine Tree live albums. that XM Radio show sounds phenomenal.

How about the band England? The album Garden Shed. Someone dubbed this rarity from an LP for me and it's a terriffic 70s prog missing link.

Still GarageBanding like an addict, too.

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Smile Nice roundup of albums there

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH

Went out and bought my first Zappa CD. Hot Rats. Really enjoyed it too. Somewhat jazzy, somewhat fusiony. Great guitar bits. Whimsical sounding in the vein of the great "Canterbury" musics. I loved it. Gonna explore me some more FZ in the future.
    Yeah, Hot Rats is excellent. It's Zappa's finest foray into fusion, and the place to start with FZ, IMO. Now go check out the following:

Waka/Jawaka: This is more instrumental Zappa, this time with a sort of "big band" arrangement.
    One Size Fits All: Great all-around Zappa outing. It's got chops, eclecticism, and humor. "Inca Roads"'s guitar solo will make you salivate.
    Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar: If you are an admirer of Zappa's guitar chops, you need this one. Basically an album of guitar solos, but this ain't Malmsteem-ish classical guitar wanking. You have to hear what Zappa can do on the axe.
    Freak Out!: This is his first album, and he is with the Mothers Of Invention. Bold political satire, humor, and avant-garde sound collages that still sound ahead of their time despite being recorded on a limited budget in 1966.
    Roxy And Elsewhere (LIVE): This, IMO, is his best live album. Basically a live take on what made One Size Fits All so great (it's the same lineup).
    Yellow Shark: This is Frank's last album, and his take on modern (read: avant-garde) classical. Frank was really earnest about this one, and rightly so; this is difficult yet brilliantly composed stuff. I wouldn't start here, but this deserves at least a moment of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Last Friday I was in the mood for some heavy stuff so the following got played:

Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Dead Soul Tribe - S/T
    Metallica - Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets. Both on DCC gold. I haven't spun any Metallica in a looooooong time. These blew me away. Really enjoyed hearing them again..
    I haven't heard any Dead Soul Tribe, but you've got a solid list there. Katatonia, in particular, is a very good band. Have you checked out Brave Murder Day? It's one of their older albums, and it features vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. Be cautioned; it contains mostly growled vocals, unlike their more current releases.

It's also nice to see two of my metal faves together in the same sentence. Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets are the foundation on which all modern metal is based.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Taste, You Have
    Other things worth mentioning:

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies
    To me, Band Of Gypsys is the definitive Jimi live document, and a personal fave. "Who Knows" and "Machine Gun" are the two best Jimi jams ever, IMO. I also love bassist Billy Cox--he knows how to bring da funk, unlike The Experience's Noel Redding.
    Last edited by mad rhetorik; 02-24-2004 at 02:57 PM.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Forum Regular

John Foxx

Troy,

Man, I love that John Foxx cd, it's way cool.

That Conspiracy is a stinker to me.

Contact me offline to further discuss TFK.

dgieseatearthlinkdotnet

Dave

A few comps like....

The Ex-Beatles" Beatles Album by Jay - Fun, fun, fun

The Beach Boys by Jay - Also lots of fun but doesn't quite have the flow of the Ex-Beatles comp. Love the sessions stuff because I'd never heard that before. I've gotta be a in a little different listening mood for this but still a wonderful collection.

Canadian Toonies by ForeverAutumn - Funny in that some of this I like a lot and some not too much at all. Guess it's really that I'm just not too keen on the three "T" artists that end the comp: Trews, Treble Charger and Three Days Grace. But on the flip side I do really like Kathleen Edwards and that Jim Bryson CD is really nice. Snowie sent me a copy of that since it's one of her faves too. Like the Sam Roberts songs, especially the second one. Didn't find Melanie Doane all that distinctive, but nice in kind of a Alanis Morissette sorta way. Never was a big Alanis fan, but either of these songs would probably be good on the radio. Can't remember much about Colin James - need to listen more to that. Kind of bluesy? Sloan is always top notch. Loved both of those cuts. Didn't care much for the Trews - don't like that voice and the lyrics are kinda....er, bad. Sounds kind of like Foreigner. A lot like Foreigner, in fact. Rocks pretty hard and I could see others liking this a lot, just not really my thing. Definitely has that vintage 70s rock sound. Treble Charger is fun. Green Day->Blink 182 type fun pop punk. The second song was my favorite. Not real big on bands like Staind and that whole hard-edged rock with melodic verses thing that's so popular, so Three Days Grace was probably my least favorite of the artists on the comp. Kinda repetitive with a lot of typical alt-rock riffs and anguish. The first song is kinda funny though with lines like "You're just not drunk enough to fuck". Kind of took me by surprise Anyway, overall a pretty nice comp with lots to like. Thanks FA!

Stone's 2003 - Still getting to know this one but like lots on it. The first time I heard the Constantine's opener I didn't like it all that much. Don't know what I was thinking cause love it now. Gotta check out that one. Was gonna dock you a point for using the same BSP song that I put on my 2003 comp a couple months ago, but then realized you don't have a copy so guess maybe it's not fair to dock you that point afterall Cool song. Anyway, thanks. Love the Iron & Wine. Film at 11.

Listened some to my latest comp but it's still on my computer in the song bucket and don't know if it'll ever make it to disc since I'm starting to get tired of it now. Some version of it will probably make it to JDaniel for my CRS contribution, though.

Richard Davies - Barbarians
    I've run hot and cold on this one in the past. Definitely some good music but I just like the one before it better. Of course, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy this one on its own merits....so I'm starting to run hot on it again.

Over The Rhine - Ohio
    Moonbabies - The Orange Billboard
    OutKast - The Love Below
    Wilco - On Soundstage (live)
    Decemberists - Her Majesty
    Nina Nastasia, Guster, The Olivia Tremor Control,....

Oh yeah, Sloshy's Mystery Disc (aka The Unicorns) - Actually I do like this quite a bit. Hadn't listened to it since back in December.

And nobodys 2003 Motel, almost forgot about this one, great year end comp, kind of like a fun late night radio show from the days of old. 'Cept I've heard that silly Jet tune so many times on that I-Pod commercial that I'm kinda sick of it now. The Kings of Leon sound a lot like Rocket From the Crypt on that song. Ever heard On A Rope? Not surprisingly, I do tend to favor the less radio-friendly second half following the OutKast songs. Just more staying power for me. But that first half is fun .
    Last edited by Davey; 02-24-2004 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks for the kind words you rhetorical madman.

Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    Yeah, Hot Rats is excellent. It's Zappa's finest foray into fusion, and the place to start with FZ, IMO. Now go check out the following:

Waka/Jawaka: This is more instrumental Zappa, this time with a sort of "big band" arrangement.
    One Size Fits All: Great all-around Zappa outing. It's got chops, eclecticism, and humor. "Inca Roads"'s guitar solo will make you salivate.
    Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar: If you are an admirer of Zappa's guitar chops, you need this one. Basically an album of guitar solos, but this ain't Malmsteem-ish classical guitar wanking. You have to hear what Zappa can do on the axe.
    Freak Out!: This is his first album, and he is with the Mothers Of Invention. Bold political satire, humor, and avant-garde sound collages that still sound ahead of their time despite being recorded on a limited budget in 1966.
    Roxbury And Elsewhere (LIVE): This, IMO, is his best live album. Basically a live take on what made One Size Fits All so great (it's the same lineup).
    Yellow Shark: This is Frank's last album, and his take on modern (read: avant-garde) classical. Frank was really earnest about this one, and rightly so; this is difficult yet brilliantly composed stuff. I wouldn't start here, but this deserves at least a moment of your time.

I'm very excited about exploring FZ's catalog. Huge output from this man. So much to take in. I'm just gonna take it one step at a time. Thanks for the recommendations.

I haven't heard any Dead Soul Tribe, but you've got a solid list there. Katatonia, in particular, is a very good band. Have you checked out Brave Murder Day? It's one of their older albums, and it features vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. Be cautioned; it contains mostly growled vocals, unlike their more current releases.

It's also nice to see two of my metal faves together in the same sentence. Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets are the foundation on which all modern metal is based.

Dead Soul Tribe is awesome. I think you'd like it. Want me send you a copy of that? Be more than happy too. I still have your address. I wouldn't like that Katatonia rec as I really don't like the death style vocals. Last Fair Deal Gone Down is most excellent though. The newest release, Viva Emptiness is on my short list of things to get.

In the late 80's early 90's I was a rabid Metallica fan. That's all my buds and I ever listened to. Four concerts, the Met Club fanzine, so forth and so forth. We pratically lived and breathed Metallica. I got burnt out on them and put their music away for awhile. Listening to their music again on Friday was like discovering them all over again.

To me, Band Of Gypsys is the definitive Jimi live document, and a personal fave. "Who Knows" and "Machine Gun" are the two best Jimi jams ever, IMO. I also love bassist Billy Cox--he knows how to bring da funk, unlike The Experience's Noel Redding.

I totally agree. Probably the best sounding of all his live stuff. I always liked "Changes". Just a great song. Buddy Miles' drumming is superb. You should check out Carlos Santana/Buddy Miles Live. Not a bad CD.

Take care bud and let me know if ya want that DST copy.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Mostly Older stuff...

that is, stuff that I've had for at least a little while, here's a sampling;

Lucinda Williams
    Higher Ground - Violent Femmes
    Shoot Out the Lights - R&L Thompson
    100% Fun - Matthew Sweet
    Avalon - Roxy Music
    Murmer - R.E.M.
    Newness Ends - The New Year
    The Moon & Antarctica - Modest Mouse, (plus a MM comp)
    David Kilgour & the Heavy Eights
    The Sophtware Slump - Grandaddy
    Source Tags & Codes - Trail of Dead
    San Francisco Days - Chris Isaak
    Whatever Mortal - Papa M
    Streetcore - Strummer & the Mescs
    Hail to the Thief - Radiohead
    Aural Sculpture - The Stranglers

I did get Stones excellent '03 comp. Still digesting but like a good 75% of it. Early favorites, off the top of my head...Constantines, Iron & Wine, Starlight Mints, Saturday Looks Good To Me.

And Stone sent me a Wire disc called "Behind the Curtain". What a gem this is. Starts off with 6 or 7 live tracks apparently pulled from their first live show that display not only the raw potential, but also their weird & wacky sense of humour, great cover of J.J. Cale's "After Midnight". Then we get about 25 early demo versions of singles and songs from their first three albums. These are surprisingly fleshed out, often almost fully formed, save for some production accenting. All of them are worth at least a listen to the Wire devotee, I may even prefer a few of these versions to the album version...ie. Practice Makes Perfect, Sand in my Joints, From the Nursery, and though I don't prefer them it is interesting to hear a couple of my favorite Wire songs, namely "Map Ref 41 degrees..." and "Blesseed State" before Mike Thorne added his distinctive touch in the studio. I might even call this a must-have for fans of early Wire. Thanks a bunch Stone, this is a keeper.

Mark
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

You're Welcome Davey!

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Canadian Toonies by ForeverAutumn - Funny in that some of this I like a lot and some not too much at all. Guess it's really that I'm just not too keen on the three "T" artists that end the comp: Trews, Treble Charger and Three Days Grace. But on the flip side I do really like Kathleen Edwards and that Jim Bryson CD is really nice. Snowie sent me a copy of that since it's one of her faves too. Like the Sam Roberts songs, especially the second one. Didn't find Melanie Doane all that distinctive, but nice in kind of a Alanis Morissette sorta way. Never was a big Alanis fan, but either of these songs would probably be good on the radio. Can't remember much about Colin James - need to listen more to that. Kind of bluesy? Sloan is always top notch. Loved both of those cuts. Didn't care much for the Trews - don't like that voice and the lyrics are kinda....er, bad. Sounds kind of like Foreigner. A lot like Foreigner, in fact. Rocks pretty hard and I could see others liking this a lot, just not really my thing. Definitely has that vintage 70s rock sound. Treble Charger is fun. Green Day->Blink 182 type fun pop punk. The second song was my favorite. Not real big on bands like Staind and that whole hard-edged rock with melodic verses thing that's so popular, so Three Days Grace was probably my least favorite of the artists on the comp. Kinda repetitive with a lot of typical alt-rock riffs and anguish. The first song is kinda funny though with lines like "You're just not drunk enough to fuck". Kind of took me by surprise Anyway, overall a pretty nice comp with lots to like. Thanks FA!
    Hehehe. The "three T artists", as you put it, are my favourites on the comp.

I'm suprised that you didn't like The Trews so much. I thought that they would have appealed to you a little more. Yes, they aren't very lyrically intense, but they're just plain fun to listen to. Even though you didn't particularly like them, your toes were tapping weren't they? C'mon, admit it!

I didn't expect you to like Three Days Grace, but they do have some great insult lyrics...

I could be mean
    I could be angry
    You know I could be just like you

I could be fake
    I could be stupid
    You know I could be just like you

You thought you were standing beside me
    You were only in my way
    You were wrong if you think that I'll be just like you

Funny, my husband likened Melanie Doane to Alanis also. Personally, I don't see it. Alanis' voice makes me want to poke pins in my ears.

That Jim Bryson disk is one of my favourites too. We went to see him play, but were disappointed in the show. He was suffering from an ear infection so I would like to think that was the reason for the poor performance. I've been trying to catch him live again to see if he's any better when he's healthy. He plays around here a lot, but it just hasn't worked out for me yet.

Thanks for the review Davey. I'm glad that you were able to find a few things on the comp that you liked. It's a very eclectic collection, so I don't expect anyone to like everything on it. But, it's always nice when people don't think that your comps totally suck.

dld
    Forum Regular
    Killer week for me. Not the usual;

J's Ex Beatles comp. Mrs. Nasty and mine own self love this one,
    J's Beach Boys comp. Ditto
    My Randall Knife comp I made for a friend.
    Norah Jones new one. Damn good.
    Flatlanders' Wheels Of Fortune. I've already bragged on this one. But one more time, killer!

A huge, killer, near mint, vinyl find on Satyrday, listened to these from that score, (60 remaining)

Stravinsky, the Firebird Suite, 1919 Version, Polovetsian Dances, Telarc

J.S. Bach, Three Keyboard Concertos, Andras Schiff, George Malcolm & English Chamber Orch., Denon PCM, Japan Import

J.S. Bach, Concerto for Violin, String Orch., and Continuo in E-Major, Prelude from the Partita in E, Boyd Neel & Toronto Chamber Orch. Feat. Steven Staryk, Umbrella D to D, German Import

Kansas, Point Of Know Return, CBS Half Speed Mastered
    Kansas, Leftoverture, CBS Half Speed Mastered
    (pretty sh.itty stuff, but the recorded sound is very good and I always liked Dust In The Wind)

Dave Grusin, Discovered Again, Sheffield , Tape from D to D session

Willie Nelso, Stardust, CBS Half Speed Mastered

Pat Metheny, Watercolors

Hiroshima, Third Generation

Creedence Gold

The Rolling Stones, 1965-1970, Successo, Italian Import

happy Mardi Gras !!! Lesses les bon temps roullez!!
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

Even though not having too much time to visit the board lately, I had to post a reply to this thread this Tuesday, just because I got this awesome cd:

- THE CHURCH - After Everything Now This

This is simply one of the most beautiful things I have heard in a while. Can't stop listening to this wonderful cd.

Other recent acquisitions also worth mentioning here:

- THE CHURCH - Parallel Universe
    - PINEAPPLE THIEF - Variations on a Dream
    - THE GATHERING - Souvenirs
    - MARILLION - Season's End
    - PALLAS - The Blinding Darkness
    - STEVE HACKETT - To Watch the Storms
    - MIKE OLDFIELD - Tubular Bells 2003
    - LIKE WENDY - Summer in Eden
    - KAIPA - Keyholder

Also got and watched two DVD's worth mentioning:

- MARILLION - Recital of the Script
    - DAVID GILMOUR - In Concert

Cheers,
    Demetrio.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody

Grabbed one new record, the Books: The Lemon of Pink, an avant garde-ish collage of sounds. Oddly appealing, but I expect we’ll hear better from these folks before all is said and done.
    If you like this one and haven't heard their debut album, Thought for Food, I recommend it. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrio
    Even though not having too much time to visit the board lately, I had to post a reply to this thread this Tuesday, just because I got this awesome cd:

- THE CHURCH - After Everything Now This
    So you're ToLiveAndDieInNY or whateverthehell his moniker is. :-)

I've had very little time to listen to anything, but when I do it's mostly Mclusky, Ghost, The Microphones, and the new Moutain Goats.

Stone
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Well, the usual assortment of stuff that I posted about over the past few weeks but yesterday I got my new Icon of Coil CD, Machines Are Us. A nihilistic view from the future that at times sounds very similar to Apoptygma Berzerk and Assemblage 23. Dark and made for the dance floor but I've enjoyed listening to it without the crowd. Lyrics are, umm, well he could have used some help or at least consulted a thesaurus but this is more about an attitude and sound than any deep meaning and on that level it works. Not my favorite album of all time, or even this year but I'm glad I picked it up.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Not enough if you ask me...

since I'm so busy with work near month end. Anyway, here's my rather short list:

Stone 2003 Comp
    Radiohead - Ok, Computer
    Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
    Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highways
    The Sounds - S/T (not sure if I like this one!)
    The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
    Ohio - Over the Rhine (nice recommend Davey)

Swish Baby
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar

Napalm Springs and the latest listens

Quote Originally Posted by Mike

Cheers
    Mike
    I agree...fine record, though I still prefer much of what they did as Dada, especially El Subliminoso (which I listened to last week)

Slim pickin's for me this week. Not much time for music.

White Stripes - Elephant. Finally got around to buying a WS album and I really like it. Lots of great 60s based retro punk/garage and a solid Bluesy feel to boot. Wish I'd have checked them out sooner, but I guess I just didn't feel like jumping on the bandwagon...my mistake.

My Blues Deluxe comps, 19, 20, and 21

Warren Zevon - The Wind. I found it hard to get through this CD at first--Zevon sounds understandably ragged--but the atmospheric Prison Grove and poignant Please Stay make up for any missteps. Overall, it isn't what I expected, but I figure I'll warm to it soon enough.

Spooky Tooth - Spooky Two. Great memories attached to this one...still think Mike Harrison and Gary Wright were among the best vocalist duos to ever inhabit a single band.

In other news...
    Got Jack70's latest and I've no doubt it'll be excellent--the Timemasheen series is consistently excellent. Like 'toze, I've not heard Ellen McIllwaine in years, though I have one of her LPs stashed in a shelf. I recall two tunes in particular from that LP: Losing You and Toehold...especially the hellacious slide on Losing You.

I also picked up some Beatles on CD (Help, With the Beatles, and A Hard Day's Night), the new Norah Jones (Feels Like Home), and a 3-CD Blues anthology featuring Otis Redding, John Lee Hooker, Guitar Slim, Etta James, Muddy Waters, Albert King, and others. I've got a lot of great stuff to listen to in the next week or so.

-Chip
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

The Good, The Bad, and the just plain Ugly

The Good:

Edie Brickell "Volcano" -A very surprising find. Very bluesy, in a soulful way. Reminiscent of Norah Jones, and some songs remind me of Rickie Lee Jones. This is nothing like the jangly pop stuff with the New Bohemians.

Robben Ford "The Blue Line" and "Keep On Running"

Jayhawks "Rainy Day Music"

Jack Johnson "Brushfire Fairytales" (Chip & Skewiff - you guys would like this)

Gillian Welch "Soul Journey"

The Flatlanders "Wheels of Fortune"

Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros "Streetcore"

Los Lonely Boys

Norah Jones "Feels Like Home"

Allman Bros. "Hittin' the Note"

The Bad:

Dave Matthews "Some Devil". This album is just boring. Not what I'd hoped for in a solo effort from DM.

The Ugly:

Jason Mraz "Waiting For My Rocket To Come". I made a rookie mistake, buying an album based on hearing one song (on a compilation). This album is horrible. Very disappointing.

JD

DPM

Some Vai and others

I haven't listened to that much over the last week. I just wasn't in the mood. Still, I did manage to spin...

1) Steve Vai/Passion and Warfare
    2) Steve Vai/The Ultra Zone
    3) The Who/Tommy (SACD)
    4) Spock's Beard/Feeling Euphoria
    5) Inside Out sampler

Dave M

Thread Information