• 10-18-2005, 04:57 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Tuesday! And you know what that means...
    and for anyone who may not know what that means... on Tuesdays, we all list what we've listened to during the week. Some people like to make comments about, or review, their listening choices. Others (like me), are lazy and just prefer just to list the CDs without comments.

The Killers - Hot Fuss
    Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs
    Blue Rodeo - Palace of Gold
    Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
    The Honeydogs - 10,000 years
    Colin James - Limelight

A Soundgarden comp that a friend of mine made for me.

And, my iPod on shuffle. Which provides me with great music all week, but kind of screws up having material for my Tuesday list.
  • 10-18-2005, 05:06 AM
    ToddL
    Rufus Wainright-Poses
    The Beatles-Revolver
    Coldplay-X&Y (Man these guys are getting dreary-Thumbs down!)
  • 10-18-2005, 05:14 AM
    Stone
    Violent Femmes - Hallowed Ground

Violent Femmes - The Blind Leading the Naked

Dinosaur Jr. - Green Mind

Nirvana - In Utero

Brakes - Give Blood

Neil Diamond - Just For You

MIA - Arular

Ramones - Leave Home

Supergrass - Road to Rouen
  • 10-18-2005, 05:27 AM
    BinFrog
    I haven't had a good week as far as full albums go.

I've been listening to a fair amount of live Phish here at work. Phish is not my favorite band but I would put them in the top 5 easily. I've been on a major kick lately. Right now "It's Ice" from 11/30/91 is playing.

Also listened to a lot of obligatory Pearl Jam

The only full album I can think of that I listened to lately was the Killers album my girlfriend put on when we were playing Rummikub. We had no road trips this weekend so there was no chance in the car to listen to a whole album. I think she also put in a Guster album while we were cleaning on Saturday, so I guess that counts. It was their album "Parachute".

Aside from that I've just been listening to random mp3s from PJ, Rush, The Beatles, Primus, Phish, Miles Davis, Satriani, Nick Drake, The Bad Plus, Coltrane, The Who, The Pixies, and others.

How's that for an answer ;)
  • 10-18-2005, 05:33 AM
    Mr MidFi
    Like FA, my listening at work has been dominated by the iPod Shuffle monster (NP: The Doors' "Unknown Soldier"). Recent home spinnage has included...

The Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Cirque du Soleil - Saltimbanco
    The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall
    The Killers - Hot Fuss
    British Sea Power - Open Season
    Genesis - Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering
    REM - Reckoning and Reveal
    Pink Floyd / Roger Waters - The Final Cut
    Spoon - Gimme Fiction
    Steely Dan - Gaucho (dts audio)
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Bach - Brandenburg Concertos (not sure who)
    Mussorgsky - Pix at an Exhibition (Maazel/Cleveland/Telarc)
    Porch (my own comp)
    MetaComp 8: The Slosh Files - My tribute to the artist formerly known as Ms Nomer
  • 10-18-2005, 05:47 AM
    BarryL
    Tuesday Morning
    Porcupine Tree - Stars Die
    Prokofiev - Anniversary (Chandos sampler)
    Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight
    Back Against The Wall - this is a Billy Sherwood project where he's collected a bunch of classic 70s progsters to reproduce The Wall. Some good performances, but for the most part they try to reproduce Pink Floyd in an inferior way, so there's no reason other than curiosity to bother with this. It does, however, feature such luminaries as: Steve Morse, Fee Waybill, Tony Levin, Geoff Downes, John Wetton, Keith Emerson, Steve Porcaro, Larry Fast, Steve Howe, Ian Anderson, Adrian Belew, Chris Squire, Glenn Hughes, Rick Wakeman, Alan White, and more.

This PT compilation for the few bucks it costs is a must-have. The sound quality is absolutely fantastic, as is the song quality. It's a double CD set, which I'm sure you can get for under $20. Even if you have all the PT albums, get this one anyway to support the band. Great stuff. What's even more impressive is how much of it Steve Wilson played all of the instruments.

I'd love to see a Steve Wilson/Roland Orzabel collaboration, or a Tears For Fears album produced by Wilson.
  • 10-18-2005, 06:37 AM
    noddin0ff
    Pergolesi: Stabat Mater

Richter reDiscovered (Sviatoslav Richter, piano): I read that ultimate recordings of each of the works exist. But, this ones is very good across the board . 2CD. Disk1 is more tame w/ Haydn, Chopin, Rachmaninov, and Ravel. Disk2 I like more with Prokofiev, Debussy, Chopin. I don't have the music background to analyze. This is not a collection of placid sonatas. disk 1 engages, disk 2 challenges. He was good.

Beethoven: Late String Quartets
    If you caught the bit in the news about the original Beethoven manuscript found around Philadelphia. It was an adaptation of the String Quartet piece the 'Grosse fuge'. Its one of the late string quartets on this.

Camper Van Beethoven: New Roman Times -
    Cassandra Wilson: Traveling Miles, Blue Light 'til Dawn
    Pearl Jam: Yeild
    Sinead O' Connor: I do not want what I haven't got
    Galactic: Crazy Horse Mongoose, Ruckus

MIA are Violent Femmes: Hallowed Ground and Talking Heads: Fear of Music which I discovered missing/lost. I took a moment of silence.
  • 10-18-2005, 06:54 AM
    BinFrog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Pearl Jam: Yeild

*Nice*
  • 10-18-2005, 08:04 AM
    noddin0ff
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BinFrog
    *Nice*

ahem, Pearl Jam: Yield

I feel kind of bad about this one because its one I ripped and didn't purchase. That's a bum thing to do to a band like PJ, taking on Ticket Master and all...
  • 10-18-2005, 08:07 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    LOTW: Zero Hour, A Fragile Mind -- yet another hard rock/prog outfit, yet I love 'em, there's definitely something here.

Lots of Keith Jarrett, John Vanderslice, Katatonia -- not a typically varietous "Dusty Chalk" week.
  • 10-18-2005, 08:46 AM
    BinFrog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    ahem, Pearl Jam: Yield

I feel kind of bad about this one because its one I ripped and didn't purchase. That's a bum thing to do to a band like PJ, taking on Ticket Master and all...

I'll forgive the typo...but buy the damn album :)
  • 10-18-2005, 10:37 AM
    Troy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryL
    I'd love to see a Steve Wilson/Roland Orzabel collaboration, or a Tears For Fears album produced by Wilson.

That is really interesting, yeah.
  • 10-18-2005, 10:44 AM
    tentoze
    Hasn't been anything new recently to send me to the music store. I've been listening to some excellent early appalachian recordings from the Smithsonian, and some world music comps.
  • 10-18-2005, 10:45 AM
    Troy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    And, my iPod on shuffle. Which provides me with great music all week, but kind of screws up having material for my Tuesday list.

Definitely my problem as well.

That said, that new Echolyn album is excellent. I'm playing the hell out of it lately. Some huge pop hooks sewn into epic prog-rock. It's got great production values and features a ton of interesting instrumentation like clavinet, theremin, vibes and some really tasty brass. My fave rease of 2005 so far.

mp3s here and check out the video too:
    http://echolyn.com/discography.asp?iAlbumID=8

Also picked up an Umphrey's McGee disc as well. It's in the car . . . It had a googlemap of Chicago on the cover. Like a cross between Phish and Dixie Dregs. Quirky, fast and complex.
  • 10-18-2005, 01:43 PM
    magno@mac.com
    Too many to list I suppose...
    The following CDs have been getting lotsa play this week:

Paco de Lucia: Siroco --- This is one of his best and purest Flamenco albums

Gorillaz: Demon Days --- I never thought I'd want tto buy this record but did it anyway cuz my wife loves it. Turns out the poor sound systems I'd been hearing this album on were missing half of what was musically going on. Great record. Turn the subwoofer to 11.

Los Lobos : Kiko -- The album that made alot of people go "That's Los Lobos???" There are some straight-ahead rock songs, but it's largely a dark record.

Bill Evans: The complete Village Vanguard sessions --- as I've already mentioned, this is a must-have mini box set of 3 cds. It contains all of the material found on "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" and "Waltz for Debbie" an unreleased "Gloria's Step" , and it's all been remastered in analogue.

Joni Mitchello: Mingus (HDCD). -- This features Jaco Pastorius and Herbie Hancock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    and for anyone who may not know what that means... on Tuesdays, we all list what we've listened to during the week. Some people like to make comments about, or review, their listening choices. Others (like me), are lazy and just prefer just to list the CDs without comments.

The Killers - Hot Fuss
    Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs
    Blue Rodeo - Palace of Gold
    Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
    The Honeydogs - 10,000 years
    Colin James - Limelight

A Soundgarden comp that a friend of mine made for me.

• 10-18-2005, 01:45 PM
    audiobill
    My List & My ipod
    The Books - Lost & Safe
    Beck - Guero
    Augie March - Strange Bird
    ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart
    The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
    Nada Surf - The Weight is...
    Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins
    Neil Young - Prairie Wind
    Pernice Brothers - Nobody's Watching (Live)
    Pete Yorn - Musicforthemorningafter

That's it for now.

Big News for Me:

5th Generation ipod, in black, 60 gig was ordered from apple, yesterday.
    I'll be asking those appipodites on RR tons of questions once it arrives.

Can't wait,
    Bill
  • 10-18-2005, 02:58 PM
    -Jar-
    Sunny Day Real Estate - HOW IT FEELS TO BE SOMETHING ON. Man, this one has such a nice recording, esp. listening LOUD on headphones. The drumming is very subtle but very good. That dude is fast with the kick drum. Probably why Grohl picked him for the Foo Fighters, even though he later left them.

This shredding old comp of mine:

SLAG HEAP (Nov. 2001)

01 The Jesus Lizard - Boilermaker
    02 Stompbox - No Woods
    03 Failure - Frogs
    04 Cave In - Innuendo and Out the Other
    05 Smashing Pumpkins - Bodies
    06 Deftones - Change (In the House of Flies)
    07 Katatonia - Chrome
    08 Entombed - Demon
    09 Acid Bath - Pagan Love Song
    10 Queens of the Stone Age - Tension Head
    11 Down - Lifer
    12 Masters of Reality - The Great Spelunker
    13 Melvins - Revolve
    14 Don Caballero - Nicked and Liqued
    15 Helmet - Milquetoast
    16 Arcwelder - Raleigh
    17 Season to Risk - Snakes
    18 Tool - Undertow
    19 Zeni Geva - Implosion

Can't think of anything else. I was in the ER last week on Thursday with a very bad pain in my gut. After blood tests and x-rays they still don't know what it is. Going for an ultrasound tomrrow. I don't know what the hell is going on..

-jar
  • 10-18-2005, 02:59 PM
    -Jar-
    maybe some old I-pods will start showing up on eBay?

:)
  • 10-18-2005, 03:23 PM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by -Jar-
    I was in the ER last week on Thursday with a very bad pain in my gut. After blood tests and x-rays they still don't know what it is.

Quote:

Acid Bath - Pagan Love Song
    Didn't your mom ever tell you that if you keep listening to that loud head banging music you'll get a bad pain in your gut? You are what you listen to ;)

Ouch! Sorry for the sick joke, hope everything turns out OK. That is a pretty heavy comp. Probably not something you and your wife sit down and enjoy together, eh? I remember putting that Cave In song on one of my first comps around here, but guess that one's not too heavy. Boy, it's been awhile. Just checked and that was early 2001. The Overflow. Good luck with the tests. Worst thing that's happened to me lately is that I had a cold a couple weeks ago. But don't worry, I'm fine now ;)
  • 10-18-2005, 04:18 PM
    -Jar-
    Overflow ruled. It was one of the first things I ever got from ya. Off the top of my head, it had some Blonde Redhead, some Cul de Sac, some Pram I think.. some Frank Black maybe? Yo La? NO WAY. Not on a Davey comp.

:)
  • 10-18-2005, 04:40 PM
    Davey
    Quote:

Overflow ruled. It was one of the first things I ever got from ya. Off the top of my head, it had some Blonde Redhead, some Cul de Sac, some Pram I think.. some Frank Black maybe? Yo La? NO WAY. Not on a Davey comp.

Hey thanks, wasn't really fishing but kind words are always welcome. Those were some fun times back in the early comp trading days. Just checked and I got a coupla nice detailed reviews of that one around here. No Yo La, but pretty damn good for scooping it off the top of your head :)

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EE7D458.php

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EE80472.php

EDIT: Oh yeah, kind of forgot what the thread was about. I've been listening a lot to the British Sea Power Open Season and it has been quite a grower. Kind of in the same sonic mold as the new Elbow Leaders of the Free World in that regard, but as many of you already know, more Echo & The Bunnymen in their sound sound than Elbow's link to Peter Gabriel. Still, kind of subdued compared to their manic debut, but some nice Bowie and Pere Ubu influences to keep me happy. Speaking of Pere Ubu, some of it does remind me a lot of that nice Worlds In Collision sound they were working in the late 80s/early 90s. Kind of a quirky yet epic Brit pop sound, much more accessible than some of the oblique early experiments. Wasn't sure how much I would like it after the first listen or two, but now it's turning into one of my favorites this year and I don't know why I didn't know that at first. Mike and Ex Lion Tamer were right on this one long before me. Been on repeat any time I've been home for the last few days. Really has a nice shimmer that totally draws me in.

And Cesaria Evora and Andrew Bird and Richard Davies and Mink DeVille and Shoes and maybe a couple some others.
  • 10-18-2005, 07:47 PM
    dean_martin
    been busy, busy but able to find a little time to listen to

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted (Luxe & Reduxe)
    Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain
    Beck - Sea Change
    Dwight Yoakam - Hillbilly Deluxe
    My own cover of Sleeping Bag from Beck's One Foot in the Grave recorded to a Yamaha 4-track w/guitar and main vocal tracks adding vocal harmony and echo/reverb on last verse. I recorded it in December of last year and finally sat down with it and got the mix right - very satisfying in a self-indulgent way, even though I can't sing.
  • 10-18-2005, 11:19 PM
    3-LockBox
    ooh, ooh, I know, I know
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryL

How about a Steve Wilson/ Brian Wilson collaboration...

or an XTC album produced by Steve Wilson...

or a brand spankin new Pink Floyd album produced by Steve Wilson...

or a Jeff Lynn/ Brian Wilson collaboration...

or a TFF album produced by Jeff Lynn...

or an XTC album produced by Jeff Lynn...

or an Opeth album produced by Jeff Lynn...OK, I've gone too far.
  • 10-19-2005, 12:40 AM
    Finch Platte
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BinFrog
    I haven't had a good week as far as full albums go.

I've been listening to a fair amount of live Phish here at work. Phish is not my favorite band but I would put them in the top 5 easily. I've been on a major kick lately. Right now "It's Ice" from 11/30/91 is playing.

Also listened to a lot of obligatory Pearl Jam

The only full album I can think of that I listened to lately was the Killers album my girlfriend put on when we were playing Rummikub. We had no road trips this weekend so there was no chance in the car to listen to a whole album. I think she also put in a Guster album while we were cleaning on Saturday, so I guess that counts. It was their album "Parachute".

Aside from that I've just been listening to random mp3s from PJ, Rush, The Beatles, Primus, Phish, Miles Davis, Satriani, Nick Drake, The Bad Plus, Coltrane, The Who, The Pixies, and others.

How's that for an answer ;)

Primus sucks!

fp
  • 10-19-2005, 12:44 AM
    Finch Platte
    Damn.
    Quote:

I was in the ER last week on Thursday with a very bad pain in my gut. After blood tests and x-rays they still don't know what it is. Going for an ultrasound tomrrow. I don't know what the hell is going on..

-jar

Hope it's nothing too serious. Too much whiskey, maybe?

fp
  • 10-19-2005, 03:39 AM
    Mike
    Here's what I remember...
    Richard Thompson - Front Parlour Ballads, I suppose Thompson might be an acquired taste with his baritone voice but this disc is something special with some lovely acoustic guitar and a really nice recording too.

Efterklang – Tripper, minimalist electronica with strings and subtle backbeats I think they are Danish but not sure. You have to be in the mood for it, but if you are it’s well worth a listen.

Death Cab For Cutie – Plans
    Laura Veirs – Years of Meteors
    The Clientelle – Strange Geometry
    Mars Volta – Frances The Mute
    Earlimart – Treble and Tremble
    A comp of my own, Shadow Of A Man

Elbow – Leaders Of The Free World, turning into a grower. Yer right Davey he does have a real Peter Gabriel vocal style that’s infectious. It’s a really nice album, not flash or commercial just doing what they do best.

Stevie Wonder – Innervisions, haven’t listened to this in a while but seeing he has a recent one out which has been getting rave reviews made me pull this out what a classic album. Sadly his latest from the samples I heard I won’t be rushing out to buy.

Cheers
    Mike

ps Good luck with the tests Jar hope it works out ok
  • 10-19-2005, 04:50 AM
    ToddL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audiobill
    The Books - Lost & Safe
    Beck - Guero
    ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart
    The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
    Nada Surf - The Weight is...
    Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins
    Neil Young - Prairie Wind
    Pernice Brothers - Nobody's Watching (Live)
    Pete Yorn - Musicforthemorningafter

Bill

How was the Nada Surf?
  • 10-19-2005, 04:52 AM
    Finch Platte
    aHEM!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy
    Also picked up an Umphrey's McGee disc as well. It's in the car . . . It had a googlemap of Chicago on the cover. Like a cross between Phish and Dixie Dregs. Quirky, fast and complex.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...ighlight=mcgee

Where'dja get it?

fp
  • 10-19-2005, 05:30 AM
    magno@mac.com
    Wow, you kept your MTBR handle?.....
    .....:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch Platte

• 10-19-2005, 08:16 AM
    Troy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch Platte

I found it used on the weekend. It's pretty darn good. I think you might like it.

I saw them on TV recently and they smoked.
  • 10-19-2005, 09:34 AM
    Jim Clark
    Nothing to report, no time. But I was saddened to read about Masonjar. Jar, I hope they're able to nail it down and get it corrected very soon. Knowing how miserable an illness can be, I hope and pray for nothing but the best for you.

Regards,
    jc
  • 10-19-2005, 09:46 AM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Nothing to report, no time. But I was saddened to read about Masonjar. Jar, I hope they're able to nail it down and get it corrected very soon. Knowing how miserable an illness can be, I hope and pray for nothing but the best for you.

Regards,
    jc

Thanks so much Jim. I appreciate your thoughts. And I can now report that the problem IS nailed down.

Gall Stones.

Doh.

At least we know!

I guess I'll be going under the knife pretty soon..

Oy.

-jar
  • 10-19-2005, 10:02 AM
    BarryL
    Jeff Lynn?
    Nobody even wants an ELO album produced by Jeff Lynn.

Maybe a Paul McCartney album produced by Jeff Lynn would be good for both their careers.
  • 10-19-2005, 10:17 AM
    Troy
    Quote:

-jar

That sucks!

Good luck on the surgery.
  • 10-19-2005, 10:41 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Gall Stones...I guess I'll be going under the knife pretty soon..Oy...

Good luck with that...
  • 10-19-2005, 01:13 PM
    BarryL
    I hope it all goes well, friend.
    Quote:

Gall Stones.

-jar

It's true what they say, sometimes bad things happen to good people. Don't go lingering in the hospital though. They're not safe.
  • 10-19-2005, 05:54 PM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audiobill

Any thoughts on that one Bill? Been almost a year now since I picked up my copy, and listening to it right now, and still seems like a very nice CD. Lots of depth in the music and words. That opening "The Vineyard" has always reminded me a little of "Golden Slumbers" from Abbey Road. But when that ornate opener finishes, they launch with a running start right into "This Train Will Be Taking No Passengers" and really set the hook in me. Some of that Split Enz that Dave G was just mentioning along the way, and some Kinks, and a few other familiar signposts, but it all makes for a pretty nice road trip.

Or does it blow chunky pieces of hippo genitalia? In which case, I hope you didn't buy it on my rec ;)