• 10-19-2005, 03:39 AM
    Mike
    Here's what I remember...
    Richard Thompson - Front Parlour Ballads, I suppose Thompson might be an acquired taste with his baritone voice but this disc is something special with some lovely acoustic guitar and a really nice recording too.

Efterklang – Tripper, minimalist electronica with strings and subtle backbeats I think they are Danish but not sure. You have to be in the mood for it, but if you are it’s well worth a listen.

Death Cab For Cutie – Plans
    Laura Veirs – Years of Meteors
    The Clientelle – Strange Geometry
    Mars Volta – Frances The Mute
    Earlimart – Treble and Tremble
    A comp of my own, Shadow Of A Man

Elbow – Leaders Of The Free World, turning into a grower. Yer right Davey he does have a real Peter Gabriel vocal style that’s infectious. It’s a really nice album, not flash or commercial just doing what they do best.

Stevie Wonder – Innervisions, haven’t listened to this in a while but seeing he has a recent one out which has been getting rave reviews made me pull this out what a classic album. Sadly his latest from the samples I heard I won’t be rushing out to buy.

Cheers
    Mike

ps Good luck with the tests Jar hope it works out ok
  • 10-19-2005, 04:50 AM
    ToddL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audiobill
    The Books - Lost & Safe
    Beck - Guero
    Augie March - Strange Bird
    ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart
    The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
    Nada Surf - The Weight is...
    Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins
    Neil Young - Prairie Wind
    Pernice Brothers - Nobody's Watching (Live)
    Pete Yorn - Musicforthemorningafter

Bill

How was the Nada Surf?
  • 10-19-2005, 04:52 AM
    Finch Platte
    aHEM!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy
    Also picked up an Umphrey's McGee disc as well. It's in the car . . . It had a googlemap of Chicago on the cover. Like a cross between Phish and Dixie Dregs. Quirky, fast and complex.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...ighlight=mcgee

Where'dja get it?

fp
  • 10-19-2005, 05:30 AM
    magno@mac.com
    Wow, you kept your MTBR handle?.....
    .....:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch Platte

• 10-19-2005, 08:16 AM
    Troy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch Platte

I found it used on the weekend. It's pretty darn good. I think you might like it.

I saw them on TV recently and they smoked.
  • 10-19-2005, 09:34 AM
    Jim Clark
    Nothing to report, no time. But I was saddened to read about Masonjar. Jar, I hope they're able to nail it down and get it corrected very soon. Knowing how miserable an illness can be, I hope and pray for nothing but the best for you.

Regards,
    jc
  • 10-19-2005, 09:46 AM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Nothing to report, no time. But I was saddened to read about Masonjar. Jar, I hope they're able to nail it down and get it corrected very soon. Knowing how miserable an illness can be, I hope and pray for nothing but the best for you.

Regards,
    jc

Thanks so much Jim. I appreciate your thoughts. And I can now report that the problem IS nailed down.

Gall Stones.

Doh.

At least we know!

I guess I'll be going under the knife pretty soon..

Oy.

-jar
  • 10-19-2005, 10:02 AM
    BarryL
    Jeff Lynn?
    Nobody even wants an ELO album produced by Jeff Lynn.

Maybe a Paul McCartney album produced by Jeff Lynn would be good for both their careers.
  • 10-19-2005, 10:17 AM
    Troy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by -Jar-

-jar

That sucks!

Good luck on the surgery.
  • 10-19-2005, 10:41 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Gall Stones...I guess I'll be going under the knife pretty soon..Oy...

Good luck with that...
  • 10-19-2005, 01:13 PM
    BarryL
    I hope it all goes well, friend.
    Quote:

Gall Stones.

-jar

It's true what they say, sometimes bad things happen to good people. Don't go lingering in the hospital though. They're not safe.
  • 10-19-2005, 05:54 PM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audiobill
    Augie March - Strange Bird

Any thoughts on that one Bill? Been almost a year now since I picked up my copy, and listening to it right now, and still seems like a very nice CD. Lots of depth in the music and words. That opening "The Vineyard" has always reminded me a little of "Golden Slumbers" from Abbey Road. But when that ornate opener finishes, they launch with a running start right into "This Train Will Be Taking No Passengers" and really set the hook in me. Some of that Split Enz that Dave G was just mentioning along the way, and some Kinks, and a few other familiar signposts, but it all makes for a pretty nice road trip.

Or does it blow chunky pieces of hippo genitalia? In which case, I hope you didn't buy it on my rec ;)