• 12-07-2004, 08:34 AM
    mad rhetorik
    Tuesday Tuesday Tuesday
    What's been rotating in your player?

Here's mine:

Mastodon: <b>Leviathon</b>
    Dillinger Escape Plan: <b>Miss Machine</b>

Brian Eno: <b>Another Green World</b>
    All the talk of Eno reissues on this board piqued my interest, so I sold my copy of Dream Theater's <b>Scenes From A Memory</b> (an album I barely ever listened to) to pick this up. Pretty much 180 degrees difference--subtle soundscapes, generally somber tempo, calm talk/singing by Eno, lots and lots of synths and electronics (though not too much). It still sounds surprisingly fresh. A little on the ambient side, but not enough to feel sedated to the point of being muzak. Quite a lineup, too--Robert Fripp, John Cale, and Phil Collins being some of the big names on this album. Fripp in particular puts in an AMAZING performance here, especially on "St. Elmo's Fire." I challenge any wag condemning Fripp's playing as soulless to listen to that track--what beauty. "Sky Saw" is another standout, especially with Cale's rad violin section. A lot of soundscaping instrumentals, my favorite of the lot being "The Big Ship." Some stuff is just a little too ambient for my metal-addled ears ("Spirits Drifting," "In Dark Trees"), but maybe it will grow on me. All in all, a great trade.

Other stuff:

Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie: <b>Bird & Diz</b>
    John Coltrane: <b>Blue Train</b>
    Alice In Chains: <b>Jar Of Flies</b>
    Nirvana: <b>Unplugged In NY</b>
  • 12-07-2004, 08:45 AM
    Troy
    Not a lot of titles. Working on my own stuff.

Porcupine Tree- In Absentia. Been a while since I pulled this out. I ended up playing it 3 times. It's still quite excellent.

Blackfield. Pretty good, some interesting melodies. Very Steven Wilsony.

Stereophonic Space Sound Unlimited- The Spacesound Effect. Top notch retro loungecore/spyjazz.

Owsley One of my favorite 90s power pop albums.

XTC- Oranges and Lemons. Bastard child of the Beatles and Beach Boys. Brilliant psychedelic homage.

Zappa- Zoot Allures. Yeah, I'm still playing it since last week.
  • 12-07-2004, 09:20 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    I'm going to cheat and go back two weeks...
    Fabric 17: Akufen -- very glitchy and groovy

Planet P Project, Pink World -- a little talk on PE about Tony Carey reincarnating this project made me pull this one out, one of my favourite double-record concept albums. I like it better than The Wall!

Neurosis, The Eye of Every Storm -- great album, tops for the year for me.

Bj&ouml;rk, Med&uacute;lla -- great album, but one really standout track takes it to another dimension for me. Production is a little too audible, though -- still sounds very electronic.

Jeff Beck, You Had It Coming -- after Flash, Crazy Legs and Guitar Shop, I didn't realize this god still had it in him to produce good albums (those three didn't do much for me). This is required listening -- two thumbs up.

The Grid, Texas Cowboys -- techno silliness

Best of 2004 (from Q Magazine) -- meh, we agree on a few things, but most of these I haven't heard, so...there ya go...

Slowdive, Catch the Breeze -- 2CD anthology of all their singles, including some from the Pygmalion era. Pure bliss

Cult of Luna, Salvation -- someone (mad rhet?) said this was really good, on par with the Neurosis. Well, it's not on par with Neurosis, but it is really good, glad I got it.

Astor Piazzolla, Vuelvo al Sur -- I've been totally addicted to this guy lately. You have no idea what I'm talking about.

Sultan, Orhan -- Turkish-flavoured techno

Steve Roach/Vidna Obmana, InnerZone -- kinda boring, actually, considering I usually like these two when they work together. I think I'm going to give up on Roach for a while (Obmana, on the other hand, I will continue to keep up with).

Code Mesa, CD Select Vol. I and II -- I continue to dig this work, real sense of melody and harmony and interplay that is missing from too much music.

v/a, Suddenly, Everything's Ruined -- lot of good tracks on here.

M&uacute;m, Summer Make Good -- such a great album. Too bad about the vocals.

Dresden Dolls -- one of those rare instances where the music needs to totally dominate, like Laurie Anderson -- I just have to stop whatever else I'm doing and listen, when this is on (well, except for the driving, but the dynamics are too diverse for much car listening -- I prefer it on my good system).

Solex, The Laughing Stock of Indie Rock -- you know, it may not be as "cutting edge" as Low Kick And Hard Bop (which is NP), but it's still a fun record, and I think Davey'd like it.

Chris Isaak, Christmas -- pretty good record.

Particle, Launchpad -- really good "jam band" album, but may be too keyboard-intensive for the guitar-worshippers.

Buckethead, Population Override -- "Too Many Humans" is just a standout track, but the album is too ...erm... consistent (as a flaw) to be anything but a Buckethead album. It's still one of his best.

The Finn Brothers, Everyone is Here -- it's okay, if you're into that generic pop sound.

Another Loki Mix (he doesn't name them) -- some good tracks, but I already had the Rob Dougan and Calexico.

Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, Big Eyeball in the Sky -- surprisingly good album, not really any detracting tracks, might make my year-end list.

The Faint, Wet from Birth -- I agree with Stone, Danse Macabre is better. If I had heard this one first...well, no, I would still prefer Danse Macabre, but it would make a more logical progression. I still prefer it to their earlier stuff.

No LOTW, too many good ones to choose from.
  • 12-07-2004, 02:42 PM
    mad rhetorik
    Wow, this has tanked in a big way. You know that Rave Reccers are sick of the Tuesday thread when a f<a>ucking <i>William Shatner</i> thread receives more responses. ; P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    [bCult of Luna, Salvation -- someone (mad rhet?) said this was really good, on par with the Neurosis. Well, it's not on par with Neurosis, but it is really good, glad I got it.

Never heard of 'em. I may have to give that band and album a look though.
  • 12-07-2004, 02:49 PM
    Jim Clark
    tons of stuff but I'm only going to mention 2. Finally listened to a d/l copy of Smile. Not nearly as bad as Barry had me thinking it was but I'm so over the BB and BB related music that it didn't really do anything for me.

finally listened to Miss Kittin's I.Com that Dustychalk likes so much. Lucky enough to have found it used for 6.99 so I'm pumped about that. I did include that one on the list I gave my folks so I'll probably end up with 2, but hopefully I can exchange the new one at Borders, which is where they'll get it. Some pretty good tunes on there, track 2, the rap number isn't so hot. I'm liking it good enough, especially for 6.99

OK, a few more. Green Day's American Idiot is every bit as good as the crew has said. Also spent some time with Finch's mystery disc and comp. I'll post something soon Finchster.

jc
  • 12-07-2004, 04:20 PM
    nobody
    Nothing new, but here's a few I've been listening to letely...

<b>Space Monkeys</b> That Gorillaz dub, which I really, really like. I play this one just as often as the original.

<b>DJ Spooky: Optometry</b> Nice mix of turntable jazz. Gotta pick up the dub version of this one, Dubtometry sometime.

<b>Two Lone Swordsmen; From teh Double Gone Chapel</b> I can't recommend this one enough for those into dark electronic stuff.

<b>Kenny Burell:Midnight Blue</b> I really should have mentioned this one on the guitar music thread, excellent jazz guitar on Bluenote.

<b>Madlib: Shades of Blue</b> Speaking of Bluenote, this laid back hip hop instrumental mix of old bluenote jazz is excellent.

<b>Yaz: Upstairs at Erics</b> A favorite from the 80s. Great synth pop. I favor the more mellow tracks on here, but the whole thing is great.

<b>Thompson Twins</b> Speaking of the 80s I pulled out both Sidekicks and Into the Gap. These guys are one of my favorite synth pop bands.

<b>Nelly: Suit</b> The more I listen to this one, the more I like it. Great R&B tracks from start to finish, and the duet with Tim McGraw is shockingly good.

<b>Dwight Yaokem: Hillbilly Delux</b> While mentioning country, I always like to hear a little Dwight.

<b>The Jam: In the City</b> Classic debut from one of my favorite all time bands. Anything you grab by the Jam is pretty well gonna be a classic.

<b>Guns & Roses: Appetite for Destruction</b> Pulled this one out for the first time in a ling while and remembered quickly just how good of an album this is.

<b>White Stripes: Elephant</b> Everybody knows all they need about this one, most likely. I love it.

OK...that's enough for now.
  • 12-07-2004, 04:22 PM
    nobody
    Hey Dusty...have you heard the Astor Paizolla remixed disc? It's a pretty good listen.
  • 12-07-2004, 06:09 PM
    JDaniel
    My rotation from what I can remember:

Red House Painters - Retrospective (very good IMHO)

Jay Farrar - Live in Seattle

Govt Mule - Live At the Greek Theater

Govt Mule - Live At the Santa Barbara Bowl

Grateful Dead - Live At the Fillmore West (1966)

Lucinda Williams - S/T

John Prine - Lost Dogs & Mixed Blessings

Guy Clarke - Cold Dog Soup

John Hiatt - Hiattology

Wheat - Too Much Time

Live in the X-Lounge Vol. 1 & 7 (vol. 7 just out Dec. 3, and Vol. 1 being the only one of the series I was missing. Finally scored an orig. this week.)

JD
  • 12-07-2004, 07:26 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    finally listened to Miss Kittin's I.Com ...Some pretty good tunes on there, track 2, the rap number isn't so hot. I'm liking it good enough, especially for 6.99

Yeah, that's the track that I was afraid'd turn you off from it. Kind of sinks it for me, but the rest of the album is so good...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody
    Hey Dusty...have you heard the Astor Paizolla remixed disc? It's a pretty good listen.

Yeah, it's alright! It's funny, I just grazed over it last night, but didn't pull it out, because I was already overwhelmed with so much stuff.

A lot of those remix CD's are beginning to swirl together (in my memory), so I'm not really sure I'm remembering anything from it. (The others being those Ennio Morricone remix CD's. And I think there was maybe a couple of others, maybe some jazz guys...Verve Remixed?)

Anyway, I'll pull it out again on some future date...
  • 12-08-2004, 05:57 AM
    Ex Lion Tamer
    A day late and a dollar short
    Got a bunch of new stuff thanks to the largesse of our own JC, most of which is excellent, especially....

Moonbabies- The Orange Billboard; a wonderful album with all kinds of catchy pop-rock tunes, with an edge that keeps me on my toes. This has been on infinite repeat in my head for a week now.

Snow Patrol- Final Straw; Another great set of indie-rock tunes. I'd have to fall on the side of Jim in the great Jim/Davey debate over this album. Lots of great catchy tunes on this album, with not a dud to be found. Nothing ground-breaking just a good album with good songs.

The National- Cherry Tree; I'm not quite as entusiastic as Davey and Jim are for this one, at least after the first couple of listens, but it seems to me this is more of a grower that the two above.

The Legends- Up Against the Legends; Another excellent set of tunes from Sweden, of course I hear The Jesus and Mary Chain, just like the reviews say I should. I also hear a lot of that old favorite of Cornelius' Bailter Space. The melodies on this album are not quite as obscured by noise as those on Psychocandy. Another winner

M83- Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts; Electronica is not really my musical cup of tea these days, and tough there are a few nice tunes that poked their way through on my first couple of listens, overall I probably won't listen to this very often. I will reserve final judgement until I can do an undisturbed, late night, (possibly altered state) listen.

...Thanks Jim, you made my year-end top 10 list a lot more meaningful.

and the other stuff....

The Futureheads; more of that UK sound championed by the likes of Franz Ferdinand, BSP and The Libertines. This hasn't seperated itself from the pack....yet, which I was hoping it would what with Andy gill's involvement, but hey it's still really early.

The Arcade Fire- Funeral; Gave this a lot of attention this week and mostly like what I heard. Some over-the-top theatricality, that mostly works, because the tunes are good.

Morrissey- You Are The Quarry; This arrived yesterday. I had no intention in buying it but the reviews were generally pretty good, so I did so on an impulse. Should have gone with my first instincts. There's just nothing here that has any relevance for me in '04, and the America bashing on the opening track is just old, and personally off-putting. Imagine, Morrissey doing his version of The Clash's I'm So Bored with the USA, but without the sense of fun. Heavy-handed junk.

and more other stuff...

Jean-Michelle Jarre- Oxygene
    The Crass- Penis Envy
    Blonde Redhead- Misery is a Butterfly
    Interpol- Antics
    Godspeed You Black Emperor- Lift Your Skinny Fists...
    The Feelies- Only Life
    Ugly Casanova- Sharpen Your Teeth
    Radiohead- OK Computer
  • 12-08-2004, 06:51 AM
    Dave_G
    Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man - remaster. This is a real different Bunny album - not really classic reggae sound per se but still an excellent reggae album.

Arena - concert dvd. Good stuff!

The Fixx - React - a live/studio album, I tell you what, The Fixx have done some excellent stuff over the years.

Marillion - Marbles. What in the hell is this crap. Marillion gone ambient. This band has not progressed, they have digressed. At least to me. The songs are just blah. As bad as the latest Rush album.

I have a Rick Derringer coming from ebay and a 3 pack of STARZ albums I won off of ebay too, can't wait for those to arrive!

Also played XTC - Drums and Wires. This is an excellent album. "Complicated Game" rawks.

Also listened to a few cdr's BarryL made for me, Forever Autumn and Karmakanic, pretty good.

And Nazareth - No Mean City - not bad at all for that kind of stuff.

Dave
  • 12-08-2004, 08:02 AM
    Dave_G
    Oh yeth,

I also watched the Ted Nugent dvd "Full Bruntal Nugity".

Lots of folk hate Ted or whatever but I think he is great. An excellent dvd, his 3 piece band rips it, he plays that old Birdland guitar like no other.

But I still think he needs to hire a singer as opposed to him doing all the work.

Dave
  • 12-08-2004, 09:06 AM
    Mike
    Here's a few
    Ian Dury and the Blockheads – New Boots and Panties
    What a great album this is from a man who is sorely missed, funny clever lyrics matched with great songs. Mine is the remastered version with extra tracks but I remember my old vinyl version was on gold vinyl. This remaster sounds really good it’s warm, fresh and detailed with lots of Chaz Jankel piano coming through.

Will Oldham/Bonnie Prince Billy - I get confused its the same guy isn’t it? somebody please enlighten me…
    I See A Darkness
    Sings Greatest Palace Music
    Ease Down The Road
    Master and Everyone
    Borrowed a whole bunch from a friend and overall I’m a bit disappointed from the odd track I heard I think I was expecting more, still I think I can put together one fine compilation from them.

Tweaker – 2 am Wake Up Call
    It was this album that lead me to seek out some Will Oldham. It’s a guy from Nine Inch Nails and features heavily on the electronic side but includes some great vocals from Robert Smith (Cure), Will Oldham, David Sylvian and even Johnny Marr makes an appearance. JC you might like this if you haven’t heard it yet.

Dean Martin – Christmas With Dino
    A new DM Christmas compilation and this is one to have if you are a Dean Martin fan and how can you not like him. Great Christmas lounge music, remastered with all his faves plus even alternate versions. Great cheesy cover shot of Dino and his white socks.

Others included Ray Lamontagne, Micah P Hinson, The Earlies and a bunch of Hedkandi chill type albums.

Cheers
    Mike
  • 12-08-2004, 09:34 AM
    BillB
    Snow Patrol - Final Straw (SACD)
    Madeleane Peyroux - Careless Love
    Bjork - Medulla
    Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head B-Sides
    Magnet - On Your Side
    Elliot Smith - XO

Hey Mike! Ever get those CD's I sent ya?

Bill
  • 12-08-2004, 10:09 AM
    Mike
    Sure did
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BillB
    Hey Mike! Ever get those CD's I sent ya?

Bill

Hi Bill, yes I did thanks but I think it must have got buried in the post below, I guess I should have pm'd you. I particularly like that Magnet album but it was all good stuff.

http://forums.audioreview.com/rave-recordings/tunesday-what-have-you-been-listening-7988.html

ps Finch I got your mystery CD mid last week and have been listening to it. I thought I knew who it was cos I thought I saw them at a festival earlier this year but when I looked into to it wasn't them. Some good stuff on there but the vocals start to grate after a while.

So come on enlighten me...who is it and is there anything I can reciprocate you with for your troubles?

Cheers
    Mike
  • 12-08-2004, 10:17 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    Moonbabies- The Orange Billboard; a wonderful album with all kinds of catchy pop-rock tunes, with an edge that keeps me on my toes. This has been on infinite repeat in my head for a week now.

Yeah, I've been playing that one a lot too. Probably in my top 10 for the year.

Quote:

Snow Patrol- Final Straw; Another great set of indie-rock tunes. I'd have to fall on the side of Jim in the great Jim/Davey debate over this album. Lots of great catchy tunes on this album, with not a dud to be found. Nothing ground-breaking just a good album with good songs.
    Yeah, it is a good album, I just don't think it's anywhere close to best of the year like a lot of other people - and I disagreed with Jay that it was the best from the new crop of post-punkers. Not much of a debate, though. And I think I'm kind of outnumbered on this one but it's fun to be the contrarian once in a while ;)

Quote:

The Futureheads; more of that UK sound championed by the likes of Franz Ferdinand, BSP and The Libertines. This hasn't seperated itself from the pack....yet, which I was hoping it would what with Andy gill's involvement, but hey it's still really early.
    Totally separated from the pack for me and close to my album of the year. Makes me look like a Davey bobblehead doll in the back window of a car going down a bumpy dirt road. But it does take a few listens to bloom. That is, if it ever does bloom.

Nice week of listening you got in there, Mark! Nothing nearly as diverse or interesting going on at my house. I did go a little overboard listening to Laika Silver Apples of the Moon and Black Heart Procession Amore del Tropico over and over and over again. And a couple others.
  • 12-08-2004, 10:57 AM
    Stone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey (regarding the Futureheads)
    Totally separated from the pack for me and close to my album of the year. Makes me look like a Davey bobblehead doll in the back window of a car going down a bumpy dirt road. But it does take a few listens to bloom. That is, if it ever does bloom.

For me too. Totally infectious and it's hard to pull it out of the player. It stands ahead of other albums like Franz Ferdinand and Razorlight to me.
  • 12-08-2004, 12:43 PM
    Ex Lion Tamer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike
    Ian Dury and the Blockheads – New Boots and Panties
    What a great album this is from a man who is sorely missed, funny clever lyrics matched with great songs. Mine is the remastered version with extra tracks but I remember my old vinyl version was on gold vinyl. This remaster sounds really good it’s warm, fresh and detailed with lots of Chaz Jankel piano coming through.

yeah, I love that album too. Still playing my good ol' Canadian (black) vinyl on Stiff records. I also like the follow-up Do It Yourself, but damn, I wish I could find my 45 rpm single of "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick", that came with it.
  • 12-08-2004, 12:43 PM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stone
    For me too. Totally infectious and it's hard to pull it out of the player. It stands ahead of other albums like Franz Ferdinand and Razorlight to me.

Yeah, I haven't heard the Razorlight but definitely trumps FF and all the other throwbacks I've heard this year. There's just some honest quality to it that the others lack for me. It's like they're really playing their own music and not just mimicking their idols and trying to be fashionable and stylish. Quite a debut. Easily the best British album of the year for me, but that's not really saying much ;).
  • 12-08-2004, 01:20 PM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
    Yeah, it is a good album, I just don't think it's anywhere close to best of the year like a lot of other people - and I disagreed with Jay that it was the best from the new crop of post-punkers. Not much of a debate, though. And I think I'm kind of outnumbered on this one but it's fun to be the contrarian once in a while ;)

Yea, I listened to most of this (Snow Patrol) and wasn't extremely blown away. Enjoyable, sure. I haven't heard enough this year to know if it's among the best or not, but I don't think it would make my list either. But hey, it could be a grower. Lots of growers in my collection, that's for sure.

Listened to some Songs: OHIA also.. MAGNOLIA ELECTRIC COMPANY. I liked this. Though I need to dig into it some more. I enjoyed what I heard but I think I was trying to hear some personality.. maybe it will show through after a few more listens.

Opeth - MORNINGRISE. Got a copy of this. Did a little listening at work.. It's definately more "metal" than the album I'm familiar with (DELIVERANCE). More choppy for one. DELIVERANCE doesn't change gears so fast. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I guess that's one of the things people like about Opeth so much is all the changes. I guess I like to see a band find a mood and work with it for a while.. Seems to have more dual-lead Iron Maiden type guitar playing too.. which is kind of cool. I really dig their mellow songs. "To Bid You Farewell" is awesome. I also really enjoy "Harvest" from BLACKWATER PARK. But, I owe MORNINGRISE a few more listens before I can really give a decent opinion on it.

I also bought Sparta's new album PORCELAIN. The album starts off strong but seems to lose its focus near the end. Or maybe I was losing mine. More to come.

-jar
  • 12-08-2004, 07:18 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Chris Isaak, [b
    Christmas[/b] -- pretty good record.

This is one of the four new Xmas albums that I've picked up so far this year. I quite like it as well. It's got some nice renditions of some of the classics and a few original tunes that are pretty decent. I'm working my way towards another Christmas comp (maybe for next year) and I'm sure that a couple of tunes from this will end up on it.
  • 12-09-2004, 11:48 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by -Jar-
    Yea, I listened to most of this (Snow Patrol) and wasn't extremely blown away. Enjoyable, sure.

I think most of the problem for me is that even though some of the songs start out in what for me is an interesting fashion, with some nice emotion and building tension, they tend to erupt into a sugary power pop type chorus that spoils the song for me and I don't feel an urge to listen to it again the way I do with some of my real favorites. Guess I just like a more serious or edgy sound (or more mopey without the happy interludes :)). Some of the songs like "Grazed Knees" are very pretty, though.