Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Have any of the other chicks heard "He Wants You"...

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    I think I've met two chicks in my whole life that were into Nick Cave.
    from Nocturama? I'd bet not, but if they did, they would have at least one reason to like Nick Cave. Look, this coffee shop has all female employees, and the atmosphere has to be on the "mellow" side, so they'll appreciate what I burned...they always do.

Swish
    Last edited by Swish; 08-24-2005 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Add to it
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I think I remember there being goth chicks who were/are into Nick Cave, but I don't know any personally.

Anyway, relatively slow listening week thanks to the continued move/unpacking and traveling to Minnesota for my brother's wedding. I did listen to the following (I finally have the As, Bs, and Cs unpacked):

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - s/t

Built To Spill - Keep It Like a Secret

Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall

Kate Bush - Sensual World

Blue Nile - Hats

Spore - Fear God EP

Replacements - All For Nothing, Nothing For All (Disc 2)

Aislers Set - How I Learned to Write Backwards
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    I put Caves "Darker With the Day" on a comp for my sis-in-law, but in general, I'd agree that chicks ain't his target audience
    Let me ammend somewhat.. I think there are chicks that dig Nick Cave, but they're probably the kind that wouldn't appreciate the term "chick" ya know?

And, furthermore, I would bet that there are far more female Nick Cave fans in Europe and Australia than here in the U.S.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

42 Regular
    Glad my mailings have found their way properly. If I had to do that Porch thing over again, there are a number of things I'd do differently. Like including some Cowboy Junkies, for example. Or using a different Whiskeytown track. But whatever...open the windows, open a few cold ones, and get that hammock swingin'.

I spent a considerable amount of time over the weekend playing back tunes from comps I've received over the past 2 years or so, but never had a chance to really absorb. Ended up making one of my "MetaComps" (the 8th one overall), and this one is 100% a Slosh tribute. And it's pretty well dominated by selections from his recent mid-summer mix and Guerillas in the Mix. The result is extraordinarily tasteful, though perhaps not as energetic as my all-Jar MetaComp from last year.

I also distilled a 2-disc Essential SRV compilation into a single disc, which was harder than I thought it'd be. It's not that often I get into a Stevie mood, but whenever I do...well, this one disc will do the trick for sure.

I have to get back to work now. Sorry.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I've often thought about making a meta-Slosh comp. One track from each comp by a band that's under-represented in my collection. Though, if I took one track from each comp, that would probably totally fill a cd-r and then some

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

OK..I'm late...so sue me...

here's a few...

The Raveonettes: Pretty in Black

Still really liking this one. It's much more diverse than their first two, so I would assume fans to be divided on it. Personally, I like them stretching a bit. Some of the tunes may pay a little too much homage to their heroes. My wife asks me if it's the Everly Brothers every time one track comes on. Still, it's been a great listen that I keep going back to.

Death in Vegas: Satan's Circus

All instrumentals, mostly of the moody mid-tempo variety on disc one and some more uptempo live tracks on disc two, which feature guitars much more prominently. I'm really liking disc one the most, although it can get a bit repetitive at times, that nature of the electronic beast for the most part.

White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

Another one that seems to have the fans divided, but for my money, it's fantastic. It just keeps growing on me. They still drag out some of the rockers, but mostly more delicate tunes with a strong emphasis on piano.

Ike Turner: Blues Roots

Solo album from Ike in '72, features him laying down some old-fashioned blues tunes with a killer band. Never released on CD, so this one's for vinyl junkies only, but if you see a copy around, and you like old R&B with a heavy blues base, grab this fantastic piece of work. Mostly covers here, but the band's in fine form and so is Ike.

The Kills: No Wow

I think I'm starting to get a handle on which albums I've really liked this year since there are some that keep getting drug out, even when newer stuff comes in. This is one that keeps getting played. Minimal, stark and dark; perfect for late night listening. Not too many bands pull off the dark thing these days without sounding redundant or just plain silly. This band does it with ease.

Tripswitch: Circuit Breaker

Electronic stuff with some great world music styled percussion throughout. It never gets too fast paced, but it does start out with some pretty complex rhythms, keeping it moving before gradually getting more mellow. Really excellent stuff if this is you kinda thing. Bass freaks may wanna grab this just for some really powerful stuff down low.

Had a lot of free time on my hands lately, so much more listening actually, but that's enough for now.
    Last edited by nobody; 08-24-2005 at 01:47 PM.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Matt Elliott Mess We Made and it does seem like a nice one...
    Whoa!!!
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

By the way...as far as the Nick Cave thing goes...

funny thing to me is that I've kinda always thought of Nick Cave as being more popular with chicks, just because personally, I've known more female than male fans of his, including a couple girls who were absolute Nick Cave nuts. Weird, I guess it just depends on who you run into.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information