Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cool

[QUOTE=mad rhetorik]Soilwork is another member of the Gothenburg, Sweden death metal scene alongside peers At The Gates, In Flames, Arch Enemy, and Dark Tranquility. Soilwork's sound is characteristic of that scene--Iron Maiden-esque guitar harmonies, lots of catchy melodies and choruses, and vocals that are harsh but not usually growly (and sometimes clean vocals are thrown in too). It's a lot more digestible than most American death metal (which is decidedly unmelodic, noisier, and more obsessed with cheesy gore/Satanism themes) or the more recent forms of so-called "math metal" (which is extremely technical and often quite crazy).

Hey, thanks for the suggestions Mad rhetorik!! The Gothenburg scene sounds like it has plenty of bands worth exploring.
    While I'm making my round in Germany, I'll also try to get a feel for what metal there is out that way.
    I've copied your Anthrax album list, for further exploring when I get back.

Cheers,
    audiobill
    P.S., I absolutely adore Soilwork!!

Most of the bands in the Gothenburg scene are great. In Flames is the band I'm most familiar with, and they're freaking ace. Four of their albums are worth purchasing--The Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, and Clayman. The latter two are my faves, but the old-school In Flames fans seem to prefer the first two (and they are quite good, though a bit more death metal-influenced). At The Gates and Arch Enemy also have good albums--Slaughter Of The Soul and Burning Bridges, respectively. If you dig Soilwork, you will more than likely dig these bands, so go check 'em out (that goes for you too, FA ; ) )

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    ...The Crown...'re not really typical of the Gothenburg sound--they actually sound more like The Haunted, a Swedish thrash outfit who are more remiscient of Slayer than anyone else I can think of.
    No, sorry, I dinnit mean to imply that they were Gothenburg -- they're not -- just meant that from the original description, audiobill and the like might enjoy them.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

my favorite Swedish death metal bands are Grave and Entombed. The first few albums by both bands are killer. I guess my favorites would be "Into the Grave" by Grave and "Wolverine Blues" by Entombed, though many purists say that Entombed were no longer "death metal" by the time Wolverine came out. Whatever that means. It rocks like mad. The first two Entombed albums ("Left Hand Path" and "Clandestine") are both considered death metal classics. For some reason, many fans abandoned the band after the first two albums because they went more "rock n' roll" - I don't understand it myself. Their 4th album "To Ride, Shoot Straight and Tell The Truth" is a freight train of rocking goodness... yes, it has moments of punk and hardcore, but to me, it's about the rock and it just rocks. I don't care if they're "death metal" or not. Metal fans are weird. ;-)

Another Swedish band to check out is Dismember.. very similar to Grave and early Entombed. Bascially, look out for albums produced by Thomas Skoksberg (sp?).. man, he used to lay down some thick-ass metal albums for lots of those death metal bands. I assume he's still working, but I haven't paid attention.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    my favorite Swedish death metal bands are Grave and Entombed. The first few albums by both bands are killer. I guess my favorites would be "Into the Grave" by Grave and "Wolverine Blues" by Entombed, though many purists say that Entombed were no longer "death metal" by the time Wolverine came out. Whatever that means. It rocks like mad. The first two Entombed albums ("Left Hand Path" and "Clandestine") are both considered death metal classics. For some reason, many fans abandoned the band after the first two albums because they went more "rock n' roll" - I don't understand it myself. Their 4th album "To Ride, Shoot Straight and Tell The Truth" is a freight train of rocking goodness... yes, it has moments of punk and hardcore, but to me, it's about the rock and it just rocks. I don't care if they're "death metal" or not. Metal fans are weird. ;-)
    Not much of an Entombed fan, but I'm totally with you on the "death metal purist" thing. A good deal of so-called "metalheads" are fascists when it comes to the bands they like. If it were up to them entire discographies would sound all the same. For example, Meshuggah's most recent album Nothing got hit with a backlash from fans because it was slower and more subtle than the insane Chaosphere. I think it's the band's best album yet. Similarly, Carcass fans had a shitfit when they released Heartwork which moved away from the stupid, gory grindcore sound of previous albums. An album with sophisticated lyrics, intelligible vocals, great guitar melodies, and songs lasting more than 2 minutes from a grind outfit? We can't have that, can we?

However, that doesn't mean that there aren't bands who have sold out. Metallica is numero uno--simplifying their sound, having Bob Rock (a hair metal producer) work on the Black Album and making trendy alterna-crap like Load/Reload. Then you have Napster..not even gonna go there. I'll give Lars and James credit for trying to go metal again on St. Anger, though it still sounds like crap. Experimentation is good, but when you try to make your music palatable to radio listeners, that's not progression--that's dumbing down.

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    Another Swedish band to check out is Dismember.. very similar to Grave and early Entombed. Bascially, look out for albums produced by Thomas Skoksberg (sp?).. man, he used to lay down some thick-ass metal albums for lots of those death metal bands. I assume he's still working, but I haven't paid attention.

-jar
    His name sounds familiar...I will have to check out Dismember.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Dusty Chalk, Jar, and Mad R.

Thanks-a-ton for all of your expertise.
    I have more titles now to explore, when I get back.

You guys are awesome!!
    audiobill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information