Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry TueRoThread - stop with the lurking!

SFA - Love Kraft
    Muy excellente! More like Rings than Phantom which is exactly how super furry I prefer my animals. No doubt "Frequency", "Ohio Heat" and "Zoom" will appear on my future comps. And definitely worth the couple of extra dollars for the SACD if you can take advantage (especially if you have a 5.1 system). And that put me in the mood for:

SFA - Phantom Power (DTS)

DCFC - Plans
    I've seen this CD advertised for under $10 in several flyers on Sunday but I'm holding out for the 3-sided LP.

Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff
    A very distracted listen so I can't say anything about it really, other than it'll get more spin time this week.

Fruit Bats - Spelled In Bones
    Nice solid album that's starting to grow on me.

Comps:
    Davey's Light So Dim
    Rae's Get Yer Ass Out And See Someone (still my all-time fave comp)
    Stone's 1985
    Mr MF's Porch
    Jar's Husker Du comp
    maf's 1979

Don't just sit there!
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

42 Regular
    Only one recent acquisition for me. I finally broke down and got British Sea Power's Open Season, which I'm liking pretty well after a listen and a half.

Breaking into the vault of old comps, eh Slosh? Excellent thinking...there's loads of great stuff sitting around, waiting to be rediscovered. (Although I guess the same can be said of our cassette tape collections, huh? Maybe that will be my project for the coming week...to dig out some old tapes.)

This morning, I played a 70s nostalgia comp I made of highlights from that series of Retro comps we all did (ah, good times, good times...). Chock full of guilty pleasures, from "Black Betty" to Sly & Family Stone to ELO.

Now, I'm returning to news sites for the latest on the hurricane damage. It's a big deal, folks...and the news networks are doing a lousy job of reporting it so far.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Ok, not lurking this week. LOTS of great stuff.

Ridgway- Mercury Lounge '96 boot.
    Drywall- BBQ Babylon
    Echolyn- Mei
    Land of Chocolate- Regaining the Feel
    Mr. Bungle- California
    Flaming Lips- Soft Bulletin
    IZZ- I Move
    Porcupine Tree- Deadwing
    The Grays- Ro-Sham-Bo
    Barry Cleveland- Voluntary Dreaming
    Blue Man Group- the Complex
    Blue Man Group- Audio
    Zappa- Tinseltown Rrebellion
    Elton John- Tumbleweed Connection
    Kino- Picture
    Happy the Man- Regaining the Muse

And several of my Musical Mayhem discs too.

Lurking? Who's lurking?

Heck, this board barely has any action these days, so I would welcome lurkers.

Here's what I've had spinning lately:

The Standard - Wire Post to Wire (liking this more than when it was fresh)
    World Party - Goodbye Jumbp
    Death Cab For Cutie - Plans (and I have "Plans" to see them in October)
    Spoon - Gimme Fiction (not my favorite Spoon, but very good just the same)
    Current Rotation Sampler Volume 10 - some good stuff on here...and some not so
    Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Okely Dokely, let me think back...

Boy - Every Page You Turn

The Trews - Den of Thieves - This is their new one and although it's still growing on me, I think that I'll end up liking it better than their first disk. It's a little more rockin' and a little less poppy. The song writing has matured and the vocals are a little stronger. I like the direction that they seem to be heading.

Death Cab for Cutie - You Can Play These Songs With Chords and Something About Airplanes.

Asia - S/T - they just don't make 'em like this anymore.

Muse - Absolution - After one spin this is very interesting. Its a little like what might have happened if Freddy Mercury sang for Dream Theater.

Sister Hazel - S/T - I guess I'm the only Sister Hazel fan around here, eh?

Blue Rodeo - Are You Ready?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Ok, not lurking this week. LOTS of great stuff.

Mr. Bungle- California
    Okay, Troy.

You've just played one of my alltime quirky albums/discs. Love it.

Thanks btw for your ipod input.

Bill

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    Oh, stop with the whining! You're starting to remind me of a girl

Uh oh, only girls use emoticons, huh? Damn, maybe if I talk tough no one will notice ...

Oh well, I do have some Three Mile Pilot that I've been banging my head against recently, and it feels good. Made a big score (for me anyway) not too long ago of the 1995 Geffen release of the Three Mile Pilot second album, The Chief Assassin to the Sinister. Been trying to find it for a long time but all you can usually get is the indie version that came out on Headhunter after Geffen unceremoniously dropped them as they and the biggies did with so many others in the mid 90s. Man, I love this album. Very heavy. Really sounds like a combo of Black Heart and Pinback, but heavier than both combined. And dark. Very dark. But still melodic and piano driven and with lots of guitar. Just has it all. A little strange too. Kind of like Slint. Jar stuff

And a lot of that Richmond Fontaine CD I mentioned in down in Swish Daddy's New Orleans. And some of that new one Dusty turned me into by Matt Elliott. It's pretty dark and melodic too, but not very heavy. Very nice though. And y'all probably know the rest of the story. Doesn't really change much from week to week to week. New music coming out of my ears and monkeys flying out of my ass. Wish I had some new Sparklehorse and then life would be complete. I do have a Bass Ale nearby though.

All I can say is...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Thank God.

fp (back to lurk mode)

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte

Thank God.

fp (back to lurk mode)
    As usual, Finchy hits a long double, even while just lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    Yeah...well...don't think that you're so smart just 'cause you know how to do that quote inside the quote thing and I don't.

I don't care what either of you think. I like 'em. So there!

Yeah...well...I think that you're so smart and handsome and manly 'cause you know how to do that quote inside the quote thing and I don't. Could you give me a private lesson sometime?

I don't care what others think. I like you. So there!
    Gee FA, I don't know what to say. You're just too cute. Can't you just copy and paste the quote inside the quote? Or hit reply on the previous post and copy what it says into the later one? I'd be glad to help, but ya know I do have my indie hipster rep to uphold, and Asia just isn't on my list of approved bands. Just between you and no one else, I do have that Asia supergroup debut in my vinyl stash, and I'm not talking erotic vinyl here either. The one with the dragon and the water cover ... by that same Dean fellow disrepected in Finchy's avatar

Funny, but it's on Geffen just like the Three Mile Pilot album that I've been getting fat and happy on lately. Guess we do have a lot in common, eh?

Oh well, I do have some Three Mile Pilot that I've been banging my head against recently, and it feels good. Made a big score (for me anyway) not too long ago of the 1995 Geffen release of the Three Mile Pilot second album, The Chief Assassin to the Sinister. Been trying to find it for a long time but all you can usually get is the indie version that came out on Headhunter after Geffen unceremoniously dropped them as they and the biggies did with so many others in the mid 90s. Man, I love this album. Very heavy. Really sounds like a combo of Black Heart and Pinback, but heavier than both combined. And dark. Very dark. But still melodic and piano driven and with lots of guitar. Just has it all. A little strange too. Kind of like Slint. Jar stuff
    Didn't know it was hard to find since I found it the very first time I looked
    Quote Originally Posted by Boney Monkeymen
    Wish I had some new Sparklehorse and then life would be complete.
    There's a new one? Gotta get out from under this rock more.

2005 looks to be finishing up pretty strong.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Quote Originally Posted by ex monkey trainer
    Made a big score (for me anyway) not too long ago of the 1995 Geffen release of the Three Mile Pilot second album, The Chief Assassin to the Sinister.
    Didn't know it was hard to find since I found it the very first time I looked
    Yeah, well good for you! All I could ever find was the current Headhunter version and it has a different tracklist from the original so I figured it must be kind of rare. Maybe not. I remember checking with a bunch of ebay sellers to find out what version they had and they were all the Headhunter. The one I finally found is a promo copy.

Quote Originally Posted by slosh
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey man
    ... monkeys flying out of my ass. Wish I had some new Sparklehorse and then life would be complete.
    There's a new one? Gotta get out from under this rock more.

2005 looks to be finishing up pretty strong.
    No, no, no, my wishful friend, it's just that whenever I talk about flying monkeys (and no, it's not really that often) I just naturally think of Sparklehorse because that Eyepennies song he does with PJ Harvey that is forever floating around in my empty head. You know the one ... at sunrise the monkeys will fly and leave me with pennies in my eyes. Don't know whats going on with him now.

Ohh. Good one.

fp

Do you still find yourself in '82?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

it's alive! (the tuesday ro-thead that is)

Good haul at the used store:
    Pink Floyd 'Ummagumma' -wore the grooves off this in the day, haven't listen to it in years, turned off the lights, turned up the V's -- whoa Sherman, set the wayback flashback machine to 1970, one of my alltime fav Space Rock albums.
    Weather Report 'I sing the body electric' -top tier 70's fusion. Whatever happened to my vinyl copy mewonders.
    Stooges 'Funhouse' - a mix of San Fran style pschadelic guitar and punk. One of the few punk albums I adore.
    Tony Williams Lifetime 'Ego' -took a chance, didn't sux, didn't rule, just ok.

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    Mr. Bungle- California

You've just played one of my alltime quirky albums/discs . Love it.

Thanks btw for your ipod input.
    Yeah, it's a production masterpiece. Easily, one of my favorite discoveries of the past year or so.

Any fan of CA would enjoy "The Secred Cheifs 3- Book of Horizons" too. Lots of personnel overlap. Further off the weirdness scale, but another whopper production.

Enjoy your hi-speed websurfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Do you still find yourself in '82?
    I was 16 in '82. That was a fun year! Maybe that's one of the reasons that I like that Asia disk so much....lot's of great memories associated with it.

Suspended

I've spun a few

Living Colour Live at the BBC
    Gov't Mule Deja Voodoo
    Howe-Wooten-Chambers - Extraction
    Frank Zappa- The Yellow Shark Ensamble (classical)
    William Orbit- Strange Cargo
    Dave Mason- Alone Together Again & Long Lost Friend
    Tony Levin- Pieces of the Sun
    Michael Manring- Book of Flame
    Bela Fleck- Three Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
    Metallica S&M

Hyfi

FA- How was your vacation?

I was 16 in '82. That was a fun year! Maybe that's one of the reasons that I like that Asia disk so much....lot's of great memories associated with it.
    My main memory of it (I was 12 in '82) is seeing the back of the damn Asia t-shirt of the kid in front of me in school, seemingly every day. I wonder if he's still wearing it.

I also have a copy of the first Asia album in my vinyl collection.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    Haydn, Symphonies Nos. 22, 29, and 60. Nicholas Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.550724No. 22 is nicknamed "The Philosopher," no doubt for the leisurely first movement.

Beethoven, String Quartets Op. 18, Nos. 1-6. Lindsay String Qt. ASV CD DCS 305.

Gregorian Chant--Festival of Hits. Various groups. DG 427 836-2.

Dvorak, String Quartets Nos. 10 and 14. Vlach Qt. of :Prague. Naxos 8.553374

Debussy, Ravel, String Quartets. Cleveland Qt. Telarc CD-80111

Mussorgsky-Ravel, Pictures at an Exhibition; Prokofiev, Classical Symphony and Lt. Kije Suite. Ernest Ansermet, L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande. London 421 019-2 (Weekend Classics).

Bach, Violin Concertos. Koija Blacher, Christine Pichlmeier, Lisa Stewart, violins; Helmut Muller -Bruhl, Cologne Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.554603.

Mozart, Quintet K. 452 for piano, oboe, clarinet, horn and bassoon; Piano Trio in E, K. 542; Trio in E flat, K. 498 (Kegelstatt Trio). Melos Ensemble and various artists. EMI CDZ7 67006 2

Bach, 3 Concerti. Trevor Pinnock, The English Concert. Archiv 413 731-2

Brahms, Piano Concertos Nos. 1 and 2. Ashkenazy, piano; Bernard Haitink, Vienna Philharmonic. London 410 009-2 and 410 199-2.

Beethoven, Piano Sonatas "Moonlight," "Pathetique," " Appassionata," "Les Adieux." Artur Rubinstein, piano. RCA 09026-61443-2

Beethoven, Piano Sonatas "Moonlight," "Appassionata," "Pathetique." Vladimir Horowitz, piano. CBS MK 34509. Two great pianists, Rubinstein and Horowitz, provide contrasting performances of three of the sonatas.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Well, then....

...you'll love the title of this post: http://obner.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=...7b663a8bd3b9d6

fp

Tuesday Lurking....Wednesday Late Night Posting...

All in all, it's been a very good week for music at the household:

DJ Shadow - Endroducing
    Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die
    Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See A Darkness
    The Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera I & II
    Giant Sand - Chore of Enchantment
    Mastodon - Leviathan
    Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks

Judging by reading other RRer's spin-posts, some very fine music has been played this week, as usual.

Cheers,

audiobill

I'm just gonna list a couple things that really stood out for me this week...

Common: Be

My favorite hip hop album of the year. Produced by Kanye West, but for my money better than his own effort this year. Excellent laid back, classic R&B vibe throughout with solid lyrics. You get the occasional hip hop cliche, but m,ostly the record deals with themes of rel life dealt with a more mature perspective then generally heard inrapping. The trio of songs near the beginning weith Go, Faithful, and Testify in a row are all fantastic. If
    you've got any hip hop leanings, this would be a good recent example to check out.

Count Basie, Joe Williams, and Ella Fitzgerald

I love playing these records when I have friends stop by that claim to love blues and hate jazz. They both belnd the styles so effortlessly and beautifully that I've yet to have anyone walk out thinking there may indeed be some jazz that they do like after all. Great vintage recordings.

Also listened to some more 2005 releases that I've already mentioned on here a few times. I'm sure, including White Stripes, Ryan Adams, Beck, the Kills, and more along with revisiting some older stuff like Nelly's Suit album for last year along with a bunch of older OutKast.

Should also give a shout out for Davey's excellent comp Light So Dim, which is a great listen and introduced me to sdeveral bands new to me, mixed in with a few old favorites. Also gotta mention his omnicience in tossing in a comp of Animalas That Swim, which just happened to be one of the newcommers I got most curious about. Muchas gracias amigo.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Should also give a shout out for Davey's excellent comp Light So Dim, which is a great listen and introduced me to sdeveral bands new to me, mixed in with a few old favorites. Also gotta mention his omnicience in tossing in a comp of Animalas That Swim, which just happened to be one of the newcommers I got most curious about. Muchas gracias amigo.
    Omniscient, eh? Darn I was really hoping to make omnipotent with this one! Hehehe, glad you found it enjoyable, and in one of my omniscient moments I did figure that your wife's reported love of the Smiths would probably carry over enough with you so that the poor and neglected Animals That Swim might find a fan at your place. Cool, but now defunct band

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information