Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Post Troy's Garage Band Disc: Review

This are some interesting compositions going on here, Troy. I'd definitely like to try using this program to see what I can make, though I probably should have a keyboard as well.

Oh, yeah...the music is generally quite good! Sort of a combination of fusion, trip-hop, ambient, and maybe a little IDM going on in there too. I'll break it down song by song:

1. Klaxon Dance: Creepy and downtempo. Love the minor-key piano and eerie synth sounds. Establishes a dark ambience, which is my cup of tea when it comes to electronic music.
    2. Doppelganger: Trip-hoppy and menacing. Sounds like it could be the backdrop to a cyberpunk sci-fi flick.
    3. Fangs: Another dark track with some weird honking synths and random drums.
    4. Morocco Mole: MY FAVORITE TRACK. Establishes a cool Arabian atmosphere, and it's got some jazzy drums in there to boot.
    5. Bellybutton: Neat tom rhythms juxtaposed with big beats and zapping synth sounds.
    6. Heliotrope: Soothing piano track in opening, giving way in the middle to upbeat synths and cymbal crashes.
    7. Frilly Cuffs: Ehh...a little schmaltzy. New Age-y sounding. Not my thing.
    8. Vitamin J: Starts out ambient, and slowly progresses into something interesting. Dig the woodwind sound and the "hovering bassline" that comes in at about 2:30.
    9. Tracker: Very interesting. Pulsing beats and percussion. The beats get heavier and more metallic around 2:30.
    10. Skywriting: Guitar-ish synths, crashing cymbals, and piano. Some good rhythms, though not the best.
    11. The Corrective Shoe March: Great Zappa-esque title. Starts out soft and slowly increases in volume and intensity as it advances, though it departs with some tinny synths at the end.

I thought the first four tracks were the best, with Morocco Mole being the fave. Sound quality is fine. All in all, good job Troy. : )
    Last edited by mad rhetorik; 04-15-2004 at 05:20 PM.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Forum Regular
    Instead of wasting our time with a lame tournament of bands and musicians you are now trying to act like a big boy and play music reviewer. Man, you are sad! I thought I gave you good advice and explained to you that its time you got a life and stopped being a burger flipper. You really should listen to me because I have your best interests and try not to get to mad because people with your condition are known to mess themselves when upset. Have a nice evening freak.

P.S.
    GET A LIFE AND LEARN WHAT GOOD MUSIC IS

Uh, oh...

who left the back door open?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    who left the back door open?
    Not to worry. Based on the content of his posts in General and timing of posts, I think I know who my "anonymous" detractor is.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    Not to worry. Based on the content of his posts in General and timing of posts, I think I know who my "anonymous" detractor is.
    What the hell are you talking about? I mean I am flattered that you seem to have a crush on me but unfrotunately I don't swing that way. It is nice however that you have a bodyguard or something with these people who come to your aid. Sad. Oh by the way I am calling your bluff...who am I?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by D-DAY
    Oh by the way I am calling your bluff...who am I?
    Nah, I won't embarass you like that. Check your Private Messages.

Forum Regular
    Why do you pretend to know me?Cant you just accept I bring spine to this board? Or are you just jelous? WTF man?

Thanks for the comments Mad. Morocco Mole does seem to be the winner with most people.

Thread Information