3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

Porky Tree - The Inncident

I heard it...it is and it isn't, great

Supposedly a concept album with a 55 minute song cycle, its really more like 14 songs that are edited and mixed to fade one into the other for a continuous listening experience. I'm not even sure that it really comes off as a concept album...and what is a concept album? I mean, doesn't everyone go into a studio with a concept in mind? A theme? Anyhoo, this theme is very loose; I wouldn't have picked up on it had I not been informed what it was about. I guess in a way, that's a good thing. I hate story albums that come across like dialog set to music. This is definitely not that.

Musically, its a PT album, with a few new twists, but essentially, a continuation of the last few albums, however, this albums does touch upon facets of PT's past album, (just skimming the ambient style). Its as though they were creating a time capsule with this album. The track Time Flies recreates almost identically the guitar riffs to two Pink Floyd songs, Dogs and Sheep (Wilson admits to doing so as a sort of homage). There are short pastoral pieces here and there that are reminiscent of Lightbulb Sun, as well heavier passages we've become accustom to on recent albums. There some extended pieces here but none of the instrumental workouts of the previous two efforts. The aforementioned Time Flies is the longest at 11:41 and is the standout track on the album. Drawing The Line is a song unlike any I've heard from Wilson musically speaking, Its a great song, but a vocally demanding song that I think is just a tad out of Wilson's league.

I have no idea why this album was touted as a 55 minute piece. As a running theme, its not as coherent a statement as FoaBP, but in saying that, this is a more accessible album than that one, so I hope no one was put-off with the notion that this was some lumbering, multi-movement magnum opus, when it is essentially a more song oriented album than FoaBP. As a bonafide PT fanboy, I can't not-buy a PT album. If you were a semi-fan or if you've been on the fence, this release isn't going to help you make up your mind - fresh enough in spots to pique your interest, familiar enough to satisfy a craving, but then a sameness creeps in on the longer passages. Roadrunner Records has really seemed to push this album so it may work, but I can't see this album swaying any detractors. If anything, I see it reinforcing people's indifference for PT. Here's hoping I'm wrong. FWIW, I immediately liked this one better than FoaBP. Time will tell if it has the staying power of the older albums after which its patterned.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Yeah, I've been trying to listen to it lately, and it's been underwhelming me. It's definitely not as heavy as the 3 previous discs- it has more ups & downs, along the lines of Opeth. Which pisses me off. Find a groove & stick with it! Don't jack me around!

Gavin's (drums) not omnipresent as he has been before, sounds like they're using some drum machines. What, Steven, you couldn't get one of the best drummers in the world to show up all the time?

I dunno. I'll just have to listen to it more. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    I heard it and it isn't great
    [fixed]

Quote Originally Posted by three pound
    If anything, I see it reinforcing people's indifference for PT.
    That's just a different way of saying they're a very bland band. Believe me, I know. A friend of mine is a big fan so I get exposed to their albums often; enough to actually have a few of their songs sorta, kinda grow on me. In all honesty I kinda like Arriving Somewhere . . . Live In Concert, mostly due to the less polished, and often heavier sound. Oh, and the DTS mix is among the best I've ever heard so that helps some.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Thanks Slosh!

I will need to digest it for a few days.

It's important to note that the leaked version is missing the first album. Occams Razor is supposed to be 55 minutes long, not 2. Info about it is out there if you look for it.

PT is on autobuy for me, anyway.

Considering the $10 price, I'll definitely pick it up....along with the new MUSE! They both come out Tuesday. New Megadeth too, but....you know. Why?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Considering the $10 price, I'll definitely pick it up....along with the new MUSE! They both come out Tuesday. New Megadeth too, but....you know. Why?
    I haven't had time to d/l the version that someone was very kind enough to send me as I've been out of town for a few days...but more on that later in another thread. So I havent' heard this yet.

Not to hijack this thread, but since N.Absentia mentioned it first, I hear the new Muse single on the radio this morning and loved it before I even realized that it was Muse (obvious as soon as the chorus starts). A slightly different sound for them...but a good one.

I'm looking forward to hearing both albums.

3LB
    Well, I had just come into some moola so I splurged and ordered four CDs

Porky Tree - The Incident
    Muse - Resistance
    Modest Mouse - No one's on first, and you're next
    Arctic Monkeys - Humbug

I've heard quite a bit off all of these, so I'm looking forward to actully owning them and playing them on my own time.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    It's important to note that the leaked version is missing the first album. Occams Razor is supposed to be 55 minutes long, not 2. Info about it is out there if you look for it.

PT is on autobuy for me, anyway.
    I bought it today, but wasn't able to play it in the work truck since the CD player won't play no mo.

Looks like disc 1 is songs comprising 'The Incident' and disc 2 is just 4 songs, a little over 20 minutes long.

Occam's Razor is still 2 minutes long.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I bought it today, but wasn't able to play it in the work truck since the CD player won't play no mo.

Looks like disc 1 is songs comprising 'The Incident' and disc 2 is just 4 songs, a little over 20 minutes long.

Occam's Razor is still 2 minutes long.
    Here's the tracklist:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:hzfqxzealdhe

I guess it does compare to the download, so don't listen to me.

Here's the tracklist:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:hzfqxzealdhe

I guess it does compare to the download, so don't listen to me.
    trying to determine what is true "prog rock" and what is not has become an increasingly tricky proposition. In the early '70s, it was easy — any band that performed "suites" that extended across entire album sides and dressed in capes and/or cloaks was a dead giveaway.

Yeah Feench, that's pretty funny. All that's missing in PT are capes. Who knew?

After a couple of plays at low volume, I like it. Octane Twisted and Circle of Manias have caught my ear already. Looking for drumming, FP? The second half of Bonnie the Cat is a clinic.

Does it work as a suite? I dunno yet, but I don't care if it does at this point. I like the way this band sounds much more than what the songs are supposedly about anyway. Always have. And so far, this sounds good to me.

Looking forward to digging in a lot more before the show in SF . . . on FRIDAY. Can't wait. I hear it's sold out in the biggest venue they've ever played here, the Warfield. I had to wrangle a ticket.

Looking forward to digging in a lot more before the show in SF . . . on FRIDAY. Can't wait. I hear it's sold out in the biggest venue they've ever played here, the Warfield. I had to wrangle a ticket.
    Oh, you focky lucker!

I played this disc over'n'over last night, and as the beers increased, so did my affection for this release. I think it's going to be one of the better PT discs when the dust clears. SW has obviously been listening to other music- there're lot of influences and different styles sprinkled throughout the disc. He continues to grow, and it appears PT's audience is growing, too, as evidenced by them selling out the Warfield. Good for them! 'Bout time.

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by FP
    He continues to grow, and it appears PT's audience is growing, too, as evidenced by them selling out the Warfield. Good for them! 'Bout time.
    and we'll be able to say we knew'em way back when they were just an ambient, space rock act rippin off old Pink Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    and we'll be able to say we knew'em way back when they were just an ambient, space rock, cape-wearin' act rippin off old Pink Floyd.
    Fixt.

42 Regular
    I'm about 2-1/2 spins in already, and I'm rather liking it. But it's clear from the opening chords (and excuse me, that should be capitalized and punctuated as Opening! Chords!) that Mr. Wilson means very Serious Business with this album. It's sorta like the recent solo album in that regard, but definitely has more of that PT sound we all know and love/hate (depending on who you are). But it's not the 'feel-good hit of the summer,' that's for dang sure.

I'm not sure what to do with the second disc. It's only 4 songs and 20 minutes long... so how often am I going to play that? Part of me wants to ignore it, but there's some decent stuff on there. Part of me wants to burn a single CD-R with both discs on it (yes, it fits). And yet another part of me wants to burn it onto a disc with the similarly orphaned Nil Recurring EP.

Anyway, it usually takes about 3 or 4 spins of PT discs before favorite tracks start to emerge for me. But right now, "Time Flies" sounds pretty good to me. YMMV.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by MidFi
    I'm not sure what to do with the second disc. It's only 4 songs and 20 minutes long... so how often am I going to play that? Part of me wants to ignore it, but there's some decent stuff on there. Part of me wants to burn a single CD-R with both discs on it (yes, it fits). And yet another part of me wants to burn it onto a disc with the similarly orphaned Nil Recurring EP.
    I'm glad the label kept the price down and didn't try to charge for a 2-CD set. Yeah, I'll prolly wind up burning these onto a CD-R, but for now, I'm listening on an MP3 player. I finally heard parts of the Nil Recurring disc and I'm not in love with it. The track Normal is just a different version of Sentimental. and there are some similarities twix the other tracks - no wonder they didn't include them on FoaBP. The extra tracks here are pretty good with Flicker, Black Dahlia and Remember Me Lover being great dreamscape types of songs that PT use to do back when...Flicker has those CSNY harmonies they haven't used in a few albums too.

Definitely a PT album and definitely a keeper, though I do hope for PT's sake, Wilson puts a few side projects aside and focuses solely on PT.

I was starting to wonder about ol' Wilson. I'm still not a huge fan of FoaBP, and I think Wilson sacrifices too much on the alter of Blackfield (Once shoulda been a PT track and woulda put FoaBP over the top). I wasn't thrilled with the solo album either, but I am enjoying The Incident more with every listen. I really dig the track Drawing The Line and some of the shorter tracks, which I wished were fleshed out a bit more than some of the longer tracks.

42 Regular
    I was underwhelmed by the Insurgentes solo disc after the first 3 or 4 listens... but then I finally played the 5.1 surround mix at a healthy volume. And man, that really added a lot to some of those tracks. A very different listening experience. So I have to say I'm 'getting it' and liking it more now.

But no doubt, some of it is just... ponderous.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I know 3 people going to the Warfield show. Guess I'll get an earful (eyeful?) Monday.

But the band's staying at my house after the show, so I'll hear it from them, first. I'll take Gavin out to the barn & show him some of the drum licks I've been practicing. Then he can show me how to do them in time.

G

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I know 3 people going to the Warfield show. Guess I'll get an earful (eyeful?) Monday.

But the band's staying at my house after the show, so I'll hear it from them, first. I'll take Gavin out to the barn & show him some of the drum licks I've been practicing. Then he can show me how to do them in time.

G

Thread Information