Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is It Time For CRSv9.5 (or 10) Yet?

Forgive me if this has been tossed around and I missed it. What do you guys think about extending the CRS series? If there's interest, I'd be willing to head up the project. There's new blood around since the format change here at AR. And 2K3 was a great year for new tunes.

So what do you all think? Can we get 16 - 18 volunteer contributors?

One idea is to exclude the tunes from the excellent lineup of year-end comps that were produced, to give it a different flavor. Looking at my cd rack, the last I show was Vol. 9 - The Lemon Crate. Is that correct?

Kick it around. I'll try and check back in later tonight and tomorrow night to see if there's interest.

JD

I'm game

I don't have any 2004 releases yet but I do have a few 2003 albums that I didn't buy until after I did my 2003 year-ender. Perhaps something like...

Inoculate The Innocuous - The Unicorns

or

Hopeless - The Wrens

or.......hmm, let me give it some more thought. Maybe some older stuff that I didn't buy until last year

Count me in...

Quote Originally Posted by JDaniel
    Forgive me if this has been tossed around and I missed it. What do you guys think about extending the CRS series? If there's interest, I'd be willing to head up the project. There's new blood around since the format change here at AR. And 2K3 was a great year for new tunes.

One idea is to exclude the tunes from the excellent lineup of year-end comps that were produced, to give it a different flavor. Looking at my cd rack, the last I show was Vol. 9 - The Lemon Crate. Is that correct?

Kick it around. I'll try and check back in later tonight and tomorrow night to see if there's interest.

JD
    I'd like to contribute. Maybe something from Kinky's Atlas- I don't recall seeing that on any comperbation.

fp
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 02-11-2004 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Connered ovetlit kwolowed!

JD
    In here..........
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

I could contribute something without stepping on the yeart end comps. I've got a couple 2004 releases, and I don't think anybody has used anything from the Handsome Family's 2003 release yet. So, sure I could find something to toss in there.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I could contribute something without stepping on the yeart end comps. I've got a couple 2004 releases, and I don't think anybody has used anything from the Handsome Family's 2003 release yet. So, sure I could find something to toss in there.
    Handsome Family would be good, but I am going to buy that CD if I find it.

I have six or eight 2004 releases and probably some stuff from 2003 most around here haven't heard, so I can contribute something if you can wait 3 or 4 weeks for a submission.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

OK, I'm good with that idea. Now I need to pick my poison. Ah ha ha ha!

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

You're a good man Jeff. I'm in. Maybe something from Robert Randolph. I've got a few tunes in mind. I'll ship a couple things to you and let you pick.

T-

Yeah, I could come up with a couple of obnoxious things from 2003 that no one has put on comps yet. Count me in.

Yeah sure, I've got tons of stuff with limited group appeal to choose from......but I bet I could come up with one or two that a few people would like so count me in

...unless you get a whole bunch of newbie interest, in which case I could sit it out and make room for fresh meat on the burner. BTW, if you look at that Group Comps post you'll see that the last one, allear's Lemon Crate, was CRSV8.

And remember, it's really your own comp so even though we originally kind of agreed on some general guidelines about what "current" means, you get to make (or break) the rules.

Nice avatar Davey. Did you ever see the Davey and Golliath cartoon where they erased the soundtrack and made a new one where they were junkies looking for a fix? It's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Nice avatar Davey. Did you ever see the Davey and Golliath cartoon where they erased the soundtrack and made a new one where they were junkies looking for a fix? It's pretty funny.
    Ya know, I never even saw the cartoon, guess I'm too old. Stone brought it to my attention quite awhile back so I decided to look it up and Davey looks pretty cool. It does make a great avatar. I have his profile page linked in my profile now as my homepage

I'm sure I can find something!

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Time to Step Up To the Plate, or Tee, or Starting Line

Looks like CRSv9.125 is a go. So far, if my math is incorrect, we have 10 conspirators. 11 if Troy is in (hey you posted in this thread, so that sort of obligates you).

We need another 5 or 7. Do I hear any relative newcommers volunteering?????

I'm pretty loose with rules. Send good music - that's what really counts. Push the envelope if you want. 2003/2004 is good, but if there's something older that's just giving you aural pleasure, send it on.

If you need my addy, just PM or email me. Yes Stone, 3 or 4 weeks is fine by me. Maybe an optomistic completion goal would be something around Tax Day (the 1st one, not the one for all you extension-filing types).

c'mon now, sign on the dotted line.........................................

JD

Or belly up to the bar, in my case. I already said I'm, so I'm still in, even though nobody already called dibs on Handsome Family............

Troy & Jackson are in

Jack70 was too ashamed to join this little project in public, so he PM'd me.

Let's see, that makes about a 12-pack. Anybody else want to join in the fun? Membership does have it's privileges. Can somebody remind me what those are?

JD

Forum Regular

I'll play.........

Jack70 was too ashamed to join this little project in public, so he PM'd me.

Let's see, that makes about a 12-pack. Anybody else want to join in the fun? Membership does have it's privileges. Can somebody remind me what those are?

JD
    But you're going to have to explain just what it is that's being done here.

Oh.

Send good music - that's what really counts. JD
    Good music. You didn't mention that before.

fp

PPG
    I'm in! I've got a damn good track that's not even power pop...

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Or belly up to the bar, in my case. I already said I'm, so I'm still in, even though nobody already called dibs on Handsome Family............
    You can do the Handsome Family. I've got some other stuff I can toss out there.

By the way, I see you're digging Singing Bones, have you listened to their other stuff? I've got a couple others, but haven't heard their first couple.

Forum Regular
    It looks like there's still room so you can count me in too. Right now I'd say it'll be something from The Weakerthans latest, but...

I've got your address JD, and will send it on soon.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    You can do the Handsome Family. I've got some other stuff I can toss out there.

By the way, I see you're digging Singing Bones, have you listened to their other stuff? I've got a couple others, but haven't heard their first couple.
    Nope, nope, nope- you do HF. I've got some other insidious chit to offer that will probably send everyone scrambling for the remote.

As for other HF disks, I only have Through The Trees, which is a fine one, and a few scattered cuts on comps.

Yup, I'm a fan of Through the Trees as well. Their last one, befoire Singing Bones, is really goodtoo. It's called Twilight, and sounds more like Singing Bones than Through the Trees. Those are the only ones I've heard though. One of these days, I'll have to try to get a listen to their first couple.

Forum Regular
    BTW JD, I'd be willing to pitch in with burning and distributing some of these coasters when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson
    But you're going to have to explain just what it is that's being done here.
    Jefferson - first off, my apologies for not explaining just what the heck a CRS project is. And yes, you can participate.

Just what is the CRS series. It's a compilation project started by RickH, aka Klaatu76, aka PowerPopGuy, aka PPG. Let me give you a couple of quotes:

From Current Rotation Sampler (CRS) Volume 1: "Compiled By Rick H. January 2002. this first-in-a-series of comps for the new year, 2002, is inspired by the weekly rotation thread on the Rave Recordings Forum. Here is a collection of fresh, eclectic tunes that are quite varied in style and genre. For best results, allot yourself a 73-minute stretch of uninterrupted private time, grab your favorite beverage, kick back, and enjoy!"

From CRSv3: "Compiled by Slosh, March 2002. If you've ever thought you would like to manage one of these group comps I highly recommend it. It is an enlightening experience in that you have to listen, and I mean really listen to songs you don't necessarily like. There were only about five or six songs I didn't care for at first, but I grew to like all but one. That one that I still don't like is a finely crafted pop song and I can appreciate it, but it just happens to be a style of music I have never liked and probably never will. Still, I can see its appeal. I think I'll keep the CRS tradition of not exposing the nominators going and then will name them in a few weeks. It's a good comp and I hope everyone enjoys it as much as me."

Vol. 2 was compiled by audiobill. My compies of Vol. 3.5, 4, & 5 don't say who compiled them. Vol. 6 by Jim Clark, Vol. 7 by Rae, and Vol. 8 by allears.

Hope that helps explain it. Basically, 15 or so RaveReccers send in discs/albums with their contribution song(s) identified.

JD (anxiously awaiting your selection)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information