Need help with vacation in Mexico

I'm sure more than a few of you have been to Me-he-co for vacation, so I wanted to pick some brains. I want to take my current spouse on a surprise vacation in early February and want a nice, warm climate. We've been to the Riviera Maya and that was nice, but I want something different, and not Cancun. I was thinking Cozumel since it has some nice beaches, but maybe somewhere with Mayan ruins, like Chichén Itzá, or something that would interesting.

Yes, I could talk to a travel agent, but most of them have never been to the place you want to go, so what good is their advice? I want to hear from someone who actually visited the place.
    Anyway, this will be about 5 days, and I don't want to spend all my money either.

Thanks in advance,

Swish Baby
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Oh man . . I am green with envy! It might surprise you to know that most travel agents do visit well known sites cause they can do it free. They get what is called FAM or familiarization tours. And they do take advantage of them as it's part of their compensation to their way of thinking. I've known many. You know that there are ruins on the Yucatan penisula accessible from the Cancun area altho it's bit of a trip, if you didn't know. Much closer is Merida, the capitol city with very good accomodations, food, and white Colonial architecture. Just north on the Gulf is the quaint town of Progreso. That's where you'll have to go for the beach. Bit of an artists colony I understand. Guess you'd need a car altho local transportation might be available. Inquire with those agents or online yourself.

I am a sucker for the Pacific side myself. Bigger waves, nicer weather. This is a pretty big travel time down there so you better get busy. The Las Brisas Hotel is too cool for words but expensive. Instead of hotel rooms it has individual casitas with private or semi private pools AND a salt water pool, tennis courts, all that, and great food. It was built in the 50's before Acapulco became such a destination so they had their pick of land. It is in a superb location! You won't wanna leave.

I wish I could be your tour guide. I love the country. Lived there for almost a year. There is no guessing with going to Acapulco and I understand several of the beach towns to the north have been developed. A travel agent will know or knows somebody who does.

Of course, Cozumel might be good. Via condios!
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Jim,

I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    Oh man . . I am green with envy! It might surprise you to know that most travel agents do visit well known sites cause they can do it free. They get what is called FAM or familiarization tours. And they do take advantage of them as it's part of their compensation to their way of thinking. I've known many. You know that there are ruins on the Yucatan penisula accessible from the Cancun area altho it's bit of a trip, if you didn't know. Much closer is Merida, the capitol city with very good accomodations, food, and white Colonial architecture. Just north on the Gulf is the quaint town of Progreso. That's where you'll have to go for the beach. Bit of an artists colony I understand. Guess you'd need a car altho local transportation might be available. Inquire with those agents or online yourself.

I wish I could be your tour guide. I love the country. Lived there for almost a year. There is no guessing with going to Acapulco and I understand several of the beach towns to the north have been developed. A travel agent will know or knows somebody who does.

Of course, Cozumel might be good. Via condios!
    Yes, travel agents may or may not have been to where I want to go, but they seem to always know about the big tourist traps, and not a place like Merida and Progreso. While I would like to go the Pacific side, the flights are much longer and I can't get non-stops there. Most would connect in Phoenix, and that's a flight of over 4 hours.

Anyway, thanks a ton and I hope a few others chime in.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    A friend of mine who spends a LOT of time in Mexico and Central America recently recommended the city of Oaxaca which is in the state of Oaxaca when I asked him about places to take my wife for our 10th wedding anniversary. He said it has become very popular with backpackers and probably will be overrun by mainstream tourism in 5 or 6 years. He described it as an art community with first rate hospitality from the locals. I haven't had a chance to do much research on Oaxaca yet, but hope to over the holidays. Good luck. I'd like to hear your choice once you've decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    my current spouse
    Was this intended to be funny or was it just my sick sense of humor in play????
    -------------------------
    Quad CDP-2
    Quad 99 Pre
    Quad 909 Amp
    Quad 21L Mains
    Quad L 2 Sub (used on occasion for 2.1)
    JW Audio Cryo Nova, Nebula and Jumpers

Suspended
    Ah, crap! When you said "help" with vacation I thought you wanted to take us too.

What do you mean "current" spouse, do you normally take your former or future spouses to Mexico. Dude, we need to hang out, I could pick up some bad habits.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I like Matamoros in the spring, although you might leave with one spouse and come home with another.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

It was meant to be funny amigo.

Quote Originally Posted by salad 419
    Was this intended to be funny or was it just my sick sense of humor in play????
    I knew a guy who introduced me to his wife by saying 'this is my current spouse', although they had been married for many years. Just for good measure, I've been married only once and it's been over 27 years. I was going to get her a burial plot for Christmas, but I think the vacation will go over better.

Swish - he also has a sick sense of humor

If you hang out with me bad habits are inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Ah, crap! When you said "help" with vacation I thought you wanted to take us too.

What do you mean "current" spouse, do you normally take your former or future spouses to Mexico. Dude, we need to hang out, I could pick up some bad habits.
    I drink way too much, smoke cigars, and curse like a drunken sailor, especially when I'm drunk. What can I say, life is good.

Swish - ready for some Troegs Pale Ale

That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I like Matamoros in the spring, although you might leave with one spouse and come home with another.
    Thanks Bobsticks. I owe you big time.

G Swish - digging the scene with a gangster name

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish

G Swish - digging the scene with a gangster name

I think Easy had a take on that except you'd be:

Diggin' the scene with the gangsta lean
    Cuz you're Swish G
    Ya don't slang or bang
    Ya just smoke mothafockkas
    Like it ain't no thang...

...all of which I'm sure is true.

NP:
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Well, I did use some lyrical license, but it ain't Ludacris.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I think Easy had a take on that except you'd be:

Diggin' the scene with the gangsta lean
    Cuz you're Swish G
    Ya don't slang or bang
    Ya just smoke mothafockkas
    Like it ain't no thang...

...all of which I'm sure is true.

NP:
    I was goofing on the lyrics to the original song by William DeVaughn that you prolly never heard since you're more than likely much younger than this old grandpa. I didn't exactly like the song, but I remember that a few of my friends and I used to have to make jokes about it.

Though you may not drive a great big Cadillac
    Gangsta whitewalls
    TV antennas in the back
    You may not have a car at all
    But remember brothers and sisters
    You can still stand tall

Just be thankful for what you've got
    Though you may not drive a great big Cadillac
    Diamond in the back, sunroof top
    Diggin' the scene
    With a gangsta lean
    Gangsta whitewalls
    TV antennas in the back

Anyhoot, time for bed.

Swish - 4 Pale Ales was my limit tonight. Dang.

So we're hitting a touristy spot anyway.

With so little time to plan and with so many flights sold out, we took the easy route and are hitting Aventura in the Riviera Maya, an all-inclusive, adults only resort. All the reviews on tripadvisor.com were very favorable, and we got awesome non-stop flights times out of Philly and for the return trip.

We should be able to take a couple tours, including one to Tulum with Mayan ruins right along the gulf, so that should be interesting. I do appreciate all who offered advice.

Swish - needs a vacation soon

Suspended
    Sounds like fun, enjoy.

Swisheroo- Enlighten me and others who may not know either . . what and where is this "riviera" you refer to? And how was your stay? Thanks.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

It's right near Cancu. You know, the Yucatan area...

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    Swisheroo- Enlighten me and others who may not know either . . what and where is this "riviera" you refer to? And how was your stay? Thanks.
    ...on the Gulf side of the country. I didn't go yet. Headed there in February for a week. Can't wait!

Swish

Rae
    The anticipation is killing us all.

~Rae

Very funny Rae. In fact, you put the F U in funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    The anticipation is killing us all.

~Rae
    I'll send you a postcard.

Swish Baby

Rae
    I wish you would! It's so nice to receive mail.

~Rae

Oh I'll send you some mail all right...

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    I wish you would! It's so nice to receive mail.

~Rae
    ...but it may not make it past the postal inspector.

Swish Baby

Thread Information