sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

cruisin thru some of my old vinyl

ben sidran-on the cool side, dollar brand-ode to duke ellington, mark murphy-september ballads. looking thru my vinyl is like going shopping.
    ...regards...tr

What I hate the most is that sometimes I can't tell if I already own the album I'm holding at stores.
    I got too many albums I havent even listened to yet. Some sealed, some needs to be cleaned, and others... I dont even know what I got. I should create an Excel file to list all the albums I have.

I'm there with you on this. Or if I have the vinyl, I just cannot remember if it is a good copy or not. I need to reduce it all to an Excels spreadsheet but just haven't taken the time to do so.

Ag
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

with about 6K pieces of vinyl

and only about a third of them in order, its always an adventure. i too end up with doubles or tiriples, somtimes because i dont feel like hunting for the one i just found for a buck.

and then theres that 'DAMN, i didnt know i had THAT!' impulse. i LOVE it when that happens.

my 25yr old daughter has plans to catalog everything but its a project and a half!
    ...regards...tr

6000? Hotdamnation!!!
    What is that, 5 shelves high and 20' across? I guess you dont need any acoustic panels or diffusors. For that, I need more records. I only have about 700 and am fixing to acquire over 400 this summer from my friend's dad for $200.

How do you have your LP organized? What type of shelves in what order?

Hey Tommy, just get rid of your LP and file everything as MP3 files. You know I'll take care of your wax.

JRA

Tommy, just get rid of your LP and file everything as MP3 files. You know I'll take c

you are SO generous. BUT it takes sooooo long to turn them into mp3s, i just have to KEEP them!

;^)
    ...regards...tr

It gets that way sometimes, especially when I'm thumbing through the vinyl that I pick up in the used LP bins. In those cases, because I'm not spending a lot on each album, I'll take take a chance on an unfamiliar artist or release. Sometimes, in that flurry at the music store I forget that I'd bought that album, since the first LPs I play are the ones that I was looking for more deliberately. But, when I give these unknown titles a spin, it can be eye-opening -- for better or worse!

I kinda went through a similar process of rediscovering my vinyl collection when I swapped out my phono cartridge back to an Ortofon OM30 a couple of years ago. It was great to pull out a bunch of titles, such as my half-speed masters and direct-to-discs, that I had not played in a while because of the crappy cartridge that I'd previously been stuck with.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

I have done the Excel spreadsheet for my CDs, but haven't done it for the albums yet. My next step is adding more information (label, year, etc. to the CD spreadsheet). They are definitely a great thing to have for reference.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Thread Information