42 Regular

REM calls it quits after 30 years

Here's the statement:

“To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening.”

Read more: R.E.M. Call It Quits After 30 Years R.E.M. Call It Quits After 30 Years

I have mixed feelings. They were my favorite band for a very, very long time. I went to school with them (literally) and grew up with them (figuratively). But... it's probably time. 30 years is enough for ANY band.

Best of luck to them.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    How many more years until the reunion tour?
    TCA ATT GGA

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

42 Regular
    Here they are, ripping it up 28 years ago...

Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Rae
    Great band. One of my favorites of all time, no question.

I have trouble mustering much emotion for this news, though. They've pretty much ceased to be relevant to me as a band and I'm sure all the guys will still be making music in one form or another. If anything, I'm a little curious to see where they'll each go next so this breakup is actually piquing my interest in a positive way.

~Rae

More Minus 5 collaborations, along with more Decemberists guest appearances?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Rae
    More rhythm guitar on Let It Be.

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Great band. One of my favorites of all time, no question.

I have trouble mustering much emotion for this news, though. They've pretty much ceased to be relevant to me as a band and I'm sure all the guys will still be making music in one form or another. If anything, I'm a little curious to see where they'll each go next so this breakup is actually piquing my interest in a positive way.

~Rae
    My sentiments exactly.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

So OK, speaking of what's coming next from these guys how on earth did I miss the Tired Pony release from last year? Tired Pony was a side project for Peter Buck (REM) Gordon Lightbody (Snow Patrol, Reindeer Section), Belle & Sebastian’s Richard Colburn, along with an extensive cameo list M. Ward, Tom Smith from Editors, Zooey Deschanel (no idea who that actually is.)

So after listening to it twice yesterday it's not very good! But that's beside the point, I missed it completely : (

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Zooey Deschanel is an actress. Did you see the movie Elf? She was Will Farrell's love interest. She has a really bad sit-com now called New Girl. Watch it soon because it's not going to last. I think that she was also married to or dated the singer from Death Cab for Cutie, but I could be wrong about that.

Anyhow, she's not a good actress, but she's very cute and has a decent singing voice. Now you know.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Zooey Deschanel is an actress. Did you see the movie Elf? She was Will Farrell's love interest. She has a really bad sit-com now called New Girl. Watch it soon because it's not going to last. I think that she was also married to or dated the singer from Death Cab for Cutie, but I could be wrong about that.

Anyhow, she's not a good actress, but she's very cute and has a decent singing voice. Now you know.
    That movie is hilarious, a real new Christmas classic. Thanks for the info. Learned something today, can I leave work and go back to bed now?

42 Regular
    For the record, Zooey Deschanel is freakin' adorable. I hate that new show she stars in on Fox, but then I hate most sit-coms anyway. But that's beside the point.

She's adorable. That's the point.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi View Post
    For the record, Zooey Deschanel is freakin' adorable.

+1

I want to date her
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thread Information