Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Forum Regular Snowbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Third Igloo on the Right
    Posts
    729

    Summer Tunes are Sublime

    Wow, its been 13 years since Sublime - 40 oz to Freedom was released.

    I'm sure the album sounds as fresh today as it did in 1992. I wouldn't know. I had no knowledge of the band until I was introduced to them by Sloshie.

    This is such a good album and great for summer listening! Described as ska punk, hardcore punk, folk, reggae, dub, rock, hip-hop... well, there's more on this webpage:

    http://www.answers.com/topic/40-oz-to-freedomroot

    Did anyone know this band when they were new? Was it big news when Bradley Nowell died? Didn't someone release a "G-Rated" version of some of their songs?


    Snowie

  2. #2
    Forum Regular Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    184
    I heard that album about 12 years ago the first time. Was 13 at the time i think, and i used to listen to it all the time during 'after school activities' ; not the type you see on ABC tho. Still gets a spin on Friday nights/ saturday afternoon once in awhile.
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

  3. #3
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Wow, its been 13 years since Sublime - 40 oz to Freedom was released.

    I'm sure the album sounds as fresh today as it did in 1992. I wouldn't know. I had no knowledge of the band until I was introduced to them by Sloshie.

    This is such a good album and great for summer listening! Described as ska punk, hardcore punk, folk, reggae, dub, rock, hip-hop... well, there's more on this webpage:

    http://www.answers.com/topic/40-oz-to-freedomroot

    Did anyone know this band when they were new? Was it big news when Bradley Nowell died? Didn't someone release a "G-Rated" version of some of their songs?


    Snowie
    They've got some cool stuff out, alright, and I couldn't tell you what was what. I have a seedeeare someone burned for me, and I have no idea what it is, I just know there's some creativity goin' on on it.

    They rival Tupac for most posthumous releases, I think. Saw a DVD in the store the other day, and had no idea if it licked the big, wobbly donkey sack or not. Any recs on what to get? What sucks/bites/snorts/blows and what doesn't?

    fp

  4. #4
    Forum Regular Snowbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Third Igloo on the Right
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    They've got some cool stuff out, alright, and I couldn't tell you what was what. I have a seedeeare someone burned for me, and I have no idea what it is, I just know there's some creativity goin' on on it.

    They rival Tupac for most posthumous releases, I think. Saw a DVD in the store the other day, and had no idea if it licked the big, wobbly donkey sack or not. Any recs on what to get? What sucks/bites/snorts/blows and what doesn't?

    fp
    I've only got Sublime - Sublime and 40 oz to Freedom. Of the two, I probably like 40 oz best. But if I were you I'd just buy one of the posthumous re-releases that includes all (3?) of their albums.

    I should start a poll to see how many people here have heard Sublime. I'm not sure if everyone knows them, and could care less, or doesn't know them, and could care even lesser.

    Snowie

    Hey PinchFlatulence, check out our newest mountiain bike park - http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news...leview&id=2652

  5. #5
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,441

    Yeesh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Hey PinchFlatulence, check out our newest mountiain bike park - http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news...leview&id=2652
    As much as I enjoy riding, that looks like an ugly strip mine travesty.

    Thanks, I think.

    fp

  6. #6
    Stone Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    They rival Tupac for most posthumous releases, I think. Saw a DVD in the store the other day, and had no idea if it licked the big, wobbly donkey sack or not. Any recs on what to get? What sucks/bites/snorts/blows and what doesn't?
    I think Jeff Buckley might be rivaling Tupac too. I hope Elliott Smith doesn't get that same treatment. It seems to cheapen what they did while they were alive.

    As far as Sublime goes, I'm no help. The only one I have is 40 Oz., and while I like it (and listened to part of it this morning), I have no desire to get any more Sublime records.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular Snowbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Third Igloo on the Right
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    As much as I enjoy riding, that looks like an ugly strip mine travesty.

    Thanks, I think.

    fp
    Heheheh... it did just open on Friday! The press was there for the first run where on of the experienced riders ended up in hospital! It really is a pretty ride!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Forum Regular Registered Member KEXPMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    142

    Sublime. Oh yea.

    13 years!! wow.
    I was living in Southern California then. I love Sublime. Always have. I used to go see them at small clubs. A Sublime show was a hit or miss thing sometimes - usually a hit. Sometimes Bradley was pretty out of it. I met him once very briefly, but I have friends who know him and they were extremely torn up by his death. Apparently he was a sweet guy.
    Most Sublime shows I saw were GREAT. Bradley was one of those people who has such SOUL. I almost put him in a category with Bob Marley in that respect. Bradley sampled a lot of course but the guy had SERIOUS talent.
    I remember getting the news of his death. I still lived in California but I was in New York with my friend (whom I had turned on to the band and whom I made go to see them with me at Wetlands in NYC) told me the news. I was first in shock and then in tears when I heard. He had a newborn baby. I kept thinking of his baby and his dog (a dalmation) that went everywhere (even on the stage!!) with him. I have a fond memory of watching a Sublime show, the dog was napping under the stage. A then relatively unknown No Doubt was in the audience. Gwen was dancing and singing along. Standing near me. It was a normal night in Orange County. Weird to remember it now, since both bands got so big later.
    (She sings a duet with Bradley on one of the Sublime albums. Bradley is also a guest on one of No Doubt's early albums, "The Beacon Street Album" --- which was the little house they lived in and in which it was recorded)

    My favorite Sublime album is "Robbin' the Hood"
    "If everybody asked you to look at their website, you'd never have time for your own blog."
    - Wes Stace a.k.a. John Wesley Harding

  9. #9
    Forum Regular Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    184
    Robbin the Hood is probably their best album.
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tuesday Tunes ???
    By MasterCylinder in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 06:54 AM
  2. Tuesday Tunes
    By DarrenH in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 07:05 AM
  3. The official Tuesday Week of Tunes thread
    By Davey in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 11:10 PM
  4. Free summer concerts in St. Louis
    By nobody in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2004, 09:34 AM
  5. More used tunes
    By DPM in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 10:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook