Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    That game (and play, specifically) is often cited as the reason instant replay was finally implemented, years later.
    You're right.

I know there are other, earlier instances where replay came, but that game (and specifically that play) was the first time the media at large dove headlong into the discussion.

Just so as to not completely blame Pittsburg, there was a game in the mid-to-late '70s, where the (then) St.Louis Cardinals were playing Dallas (at Texas Stadium) and the game, and ultimately the Cardinals' season, came down to a third down play in which the Cards tried a run for the first down and when the pile was seperated, the refs huddled, then determined that the ball be placed in a manner that reflected the way the holder was carrying it (their explanation later), and that was sideways...yes, the refs actually placed the ball with it pointy ends sideline to sideline, instead of the way its normally spotted, where the ball came up a couple of inches short of a first down. The Cards were trying get within fieldgoal range to win the game. The Cards were enraged, and instantly flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. It was fourth down and they had to punt. The loss factored in knocking the Cards out of contention for the playoffs because of a tie-breaker for wild card (with Washington). The Cards finished the season 10-4 (Dallas was 11-3 and was Division champs).

And while Michael Vick is reviled for his involvment in dog fighting, Miami, Dallas, Oakland, and Pittsburg were known to use tackling bags full of live kittens and puppies.

You CAN'T be serious!

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    And while Michael Vick is reviled for his involvment in dog fighting, Miami, Dallas, Oakland, and Pittsburg were known to use tackling bags full of live kittens and puppies.
    As much as I hate Dallas, Oakland, and Shittsburgh, I don't believe that ever happened. This is the first I'm hearing it too, so I'm wondering where the heck you heard something this despicable? Please tell me you were joking.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    1. Why weren't the steelers penalized 15 yards on the kick off after the holmes touchdown? Holmes clearly used the ball as a prop after the score.

2. why wasnt the very last play of the game reviewed? Warner's arm was clearly going forward, should have been an incomplete pass.
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Please tell me you were joking
    notice the lack of any emoticon?

I am COMPLETELY SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    1. Why weren't the steelers penalized 15 yards on the kick off after the holmes touchdown? Holmes clearly used the ball as a prop after the score.

2. why wasnt the very last play of the game reviewed? Warner's arm was clearly going forward, should have been an incomplete pass.
    1. Yes
    and
    2. Yes.

Especially 2 - though I'm not quite as sure that his arm was going forward - still a review was definitely called for. Imagine if they reverse the call and with the objectionable conduct penalty (someone on the Steelers removed his helmet) of 15 yards, that puts the ball on the Steelers 30 with 7-seconds. Could have been very interesting.

And regarding your first point - the Steelers would have been kicking off from the 20 for that last series.

Damn, I hate when the refs screw with the outcome of a game.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Forum Regular
    Just saw this morning that an NFL representative came out and said Holmes should have been penalized....lot of good it does now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    1. Yes
    and
    2. Yes.

Especially 2 - though I'm not quite as sure that his arm was going forward - still a review was definitely called for. Imagine if they reverse the call and with the objectionable conduct penalty (someone on the Steelers removed his helmet) of 15 yards, that puts the ball on the Steelers 30 with 7-seconds. Could have been very interesting.

And regarding your first point - the Steelers would have been kicking off from the 20 for that last series.

Damn, I hate when the refs screw with the outcome of a game.
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information